Going west 2020/concerns for non-resident hunter restrictions due to Covid

nrh0011

Anyone have plans set in stone for out west this fall? I am planning on going somewhere in November, most likely Kansas, Nebraska, or South Dakota. I know Michigan is already talking about not allowing non-resident hunters this year, anxious to see what other states follow suit. At this point I guess all you can do is make plans, and have backup plans should something happen. Interested to hear yall's thoughts on this.

BayDog96

UAEC
Still planning on South Dakota in November again this year. But I am a bit concerned it could get shut down. Still time for a lot of change between now and then, but to say I’m not worried would be a lie.

YankeeRedneck

I always go to WNY for gun season in November. I have been going ever year for the last five or six.
I have friends from Georgia that have gone for almost 30 years.
I sure hope the crazy governor doesn't shut down deer season !!

Eroc33

I think the SD governor is the least likely to shut down out of state hunters, based on her past performance and talks of extending the season and uping the late season limit. I am thinking about Kansas in January, but I dont want to bet on it since they Basically stopped out of state turkey hunting.

Coach K

Michigan Governor is radical. I wouldn't be surprised if she sucker punches the pro hunting faction with a ban of out-of-staters.

I hope that does not push everyone to MN where I never see an out-of-state grouse hunter. Best kept ruff secret in U.S.

ddavis1120

Planning on going to SD the week after Thanksgiving as usual. Remains to be seen if they will allow us in AND if we can get there flying into Nebraska.

I think SD is going to expand the limit to four roosters starting December 1st and moving the start time to 10 early season. SD is trying to get more hunters (resident and nonresident) after a decade of steady decline.

ddavis1120

Anybody heard any updates from South Dakota? They are supposedly cutting earlier this year....much much earlier than last.

Hopefully the October and November hunters leave us December hunters a few birds.

nrh0011

Planning on going to SD the week after Thanksgiving as usual. Remains to be seen if they will allow us in AND if we can get there flying into Nebraska.

I think SD is going to expand the limit to four roosters starting December 1st and moving the start time to 10 early season. SD is trying to get more hunters (resident and nonresident) after a decade of steady decline.

They are doing that in efforts to improve hen survival throughout the winter

nrh0011

Anybody heard any updates from South Dakota? They are supposedly cutting earlier this year....much much earlier than last.

Hopefully the October and November hunters leave us December hunters a few birds.

Most of the beans are out. Still a decent amount of corn still in the field based on what my buddy said. He lives in the eastern part of the state.

Wire Nut

I leave a week from tomorrow for SD. I drive and pull a trailer with everyone’s gear that goes with me. They fly out. I don’t want to have an airline ticket right now so it works good for me. Looks like it will be cold

nrh0011

I leave a week from tomorrow for SD. I drive and pull a trailer with everyone’s gear that goes with me. They fly out. I don’t want to have an airline ticket right now so it works good for me. Looks like it will be cold

Cold and plenty of snow. Safe travels, keep us posted!

Maysport

Heading to Presho SD next Wednesday. It is a lot more complicated flying the dog with the changes - no animals as checked baggage, only air cargo, even though they will go on the same plane with me as they would have as checked baggage!

Forecast seems like this initial cold blast should ease up by then, with daytime temps in the 40's. First time with the new pup and one son - looking forward to it!

nrh0011

Heading to Presho SD next Wednesday. It is a lot more complicated flying the dog with the changes - no animals as checked baggage, only air cargo, even though they will go on the same plane with me as they would have as checked baggage!

Forecast seems like this initial cold blast should ease up by then, with daytime temps in the 40's. First time with the new pup and one son - looking forward to it!
best of luck to y’all!! Safe travels, keep us posted.

mecicon

Im going to be in Presho on Friday November 6.
Are you hunting private or public?

Wire Nut

Pulling out at 4 am tomorrow. Will be there Saturday around noon and start hunting Sunday. Been hunting with the same guy for 17 years. Always memorable

Wire Nut

We started hunting at 10:30 this morning and were finished at 2:00. One benefit of using the same outfitter for the past 17 years is he says “I’ve saved a food plot for you”. 48 roosters, a nap and a good supper. I was either on the wing or a blocker and found my way on the up wind side of the field. 1 shot, 1 bird0DFA5E67-6926-4A92-A9AA-58A0A9697053.jpeg

deerslayer357

We leave Saturday headed to Aberdeen, SD. Hunting private and public land, staying with a farmer friend for the third year. Looks like extended forecast is going to be lows in teens and highs in mid 20’s.

Wire Nut

We have lows in the 30’s highs near 70