Huge predatory bird

southernman13

Saw one yesterday in Randolph county and one the day before but can’t remember where that One was. But it was close around here. Anyway big like an eagle or bigger. Was black but on its back was like whitish streaks. Looked a lot like an eagle but didn’t have a solid white head what is it?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Immature bald or golden eagle?

buckpasser

The only thing around here bigger than an eagle is a firebird, and I ain’t seen but three of them in my life.

southernman13

Looked like an immature eagle but was just too big to be a young bird. Flew right next to my truck and it was massive. Really cool

CaptKeith

Maybe this? Immature bald eagle.1604018576148.jpeg

Professor

We have some Golden Eagles. I had one circle a field I was hunting 2 days in a row. Huge, and he was level with my stand each time he came close. I thought the same as you. That thing was too big to be a juvenile anything. They fly down every winter from Canada and are monitored near Manchester on the Flint River.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looked like an immature eagle but was just too big to be a young bird. Flew right next to my truck and it was massive. Really cool
Juvenile birds are the same size as the adults, sometimes bigger .

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I don’t want to derail the OP, but I got a similar question. Does anyone know what kind of birds these are?F8345757-8F8A-4FBE-93C6-58E3705F7E4E.jpeg4EDF99B5-0071-46DD-9960-3B7E1FFD8DA5.jpeg

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I had about ten of them flying over my house. It was the first cool day and I assume they where liking the thermals over the hootch.

killerv

Saw one yesterday in Randolph county and one the day before but can’t remember where that One was. But it was close around here. Anyway big like an eagle or bigger. Was black but on its back was like whitish streaks. Looked a lot like an eagle but didn’t have a solid white head what is it?

juvenile eagle I bet