Looking for a high quality quail hunting plantation in Georgia

DEB922d

My two sons and I are celebrating my 60th birthday with me by going on a quail hunt this winter. I've heard there are some good plantations in Georgia with lodging and all the rest. Can someone out there with first-hand experience recommend the best 2 or 3 out there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

fi8shmasty

Etowa vally . Very nice. Bring your dog or they have some you can use with thier guides

spring

Hmmm... Here are a few that fit your description:

1. Riverview Plantation. Owned by Cader Cox and his family for multiple generations, it’s arguably the best commercial place in Georgia, bringing in guests from around the country. I’ve met people that have hunted there while in Tanzania and Nantucket. FWIW, jackets at dinner.

Below Riverview are many quality places. In no particular order, here are some other good options:

2. Wynfield Plantation. Actually the current owner is a trust but it’s run by some members of the Leach family. Excellent guest cabins, a good lodge, and great food. Their well-manicured grounds are a popular spot for weddings.

3. Rio Piedra Plantation. Owned by a retired Coca Cola executive; it’s location on the Flint River is very nice.

4. Southern Woods Plantation. A popular spot that has been run well for years by a fellow named Benjie DeLoach. Good food and nice lodge that’s full of African hunting trophies from when the owner spent a lot of time there around 20 years ago. Good food and they are sort of known for putting out a pheasant or two to surprise the quail hunters.

Several other good options around but this should give you an idea of what’s out there. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DEB922d

Many thanks for these suggestions. I did some of my own research and came up with some of these same places. This GON forum has really helped me throughout the years and I appreciate the many fine folks like yourselves who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

SLY22

Useles Member !
Big Red Oak Plantation in Meriwether county.
Guides are great and the birds fly fast.
You will hunt in the woods and fields.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Pine Hill Plantation down on Lake Seminole in Seminole County is another nice one.

twtabb

I think Pine Hill is one of the few that hunt from horse back or wagon.

If you got connections itchawayNotchaway is one place I would love to go. It’s by invite only.

coveyrise

I run a private plantation in Thomasville ga and can tell you that many people I have met say that Pine Hill is the tops. Next would be Rio Pedro and Wynfield. Riverview is run too much like a commercial operation.

jfon

I've been going to Morrison Pines Plantation in Moultrie ever since it opened for the 2008-09 season. Prior to that time, the owners had managed Ashburn Hill for many years. They know the business well, both in the field and indoors. The lodge is not fancy but is very nice. The food is pure southern comfort. These folks will bend over backwards to make a guest happy, and I highly recommend them.

1982ace

I've been going to Morrison Pines Plantation in Moultrie ever since it opened for the 2008-09 season. Prior to that time, the owners had managed Ashburn Hill for many years. They know the business well, both in the field and indoors. The lodge is not fancy but is very nice. The food is pure southern comfort. These folks will bend over backwards to make a guest happy, and I highly recommend them.
I haven’t hunted with them but got to know them when I done some work at their lodge when it was built. I can tell you they are top notch people that care about what they do.

Jetjockey

I’d look into Barnsley Gardens and High Adventure Company. I can’t say how the quail hunting is since they have teamed with Beretta, but I can say the accommodations are second to none. When I hunted it the hunting was great, and I’d assume it’s only gotten better.