SSI / jekyll summer flounder advice

ohg123

first post! hi everybody.

So is spent my 2020 summer in SSI and plan to do that again in 2021 starting about june 1. bringing my PF 17t again and would love some ideas on finding flounder. being from s florida we have very very few flounder in everglades natl park, but we get one here and there. i notice not too many guys up there target them, but for me it was so fun and i really want to focus on the flatties this summer and up my game.

I found one good spot last year that reliably produced, but couldnt seem to find another one despite a lot of study of overhead maps, research etc. like the everglades there is just so much water and it all looks great. anybody willing to share a little knowledge on what to look for? i love to explore and search out new places - more than willing to do the work. Just curious what to look for? i launched at either village creek or the ramp by the causeway last summer, those were the closest places to get in.

it seems like the creek mouths would be awesome as they get to the lower half of either tide, but i hit every one from the Jekyll north beach pier south for miles on the outgoing without even a bite (from anything - and it looked like redfish heaven the whole way, birds, bait all the signs).

i dont mind trailering off SSI if further north or south is more user friendly - or a long boat ride if its protected. just want to see more of the area and bring home some dinner.

thanks!
IMG_1715.JPG

Seanote

The best founder fishing that I know of in your area is Christmas Creek on Cumberland Island. I fish out of Savannah, but have towed my boat many times to fish there. It is very tricky to get in. Bars and breakers at the mouth of the creek. Go at low tide and you will be able to see the cut. I usually fish for trout, but usually catch more flounder than trout in the summer. Good luck with the flatties. They eat pretty good also!

ohg123

The best founder fishing that I know of in your area is Christmas Creek on Cumberland Island. I fish out of Savannah, but have towed my boat many times to fish there. It is very tricky to get in. Bars and breakers at the mouth of the creek. Go at low tide and you will be able to see the cut. I usually fish for trout, but usually catch more flounder than trout in the summer. Good luck with the flatties. They eat pretty good also!

yeah been there on a bigger bay boat - not sure it is safe on a little microskiff like mine. there is a back way but id rather not chance it without local assistance.

what about north towards shellmans? worth a try to hit the inlets up there?