Tell me all about cooking with bear meat

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Well, it was about a 200# skinny male, chased half a day by dogs, shot out of a tree, and skull dragged a mile thru the woods. His diet would have consisted of gallberries, palmetto, and probably roadkills, along with whatever filth was in the bait barrel he got into the night before we turned the dogs on him.

Maybe he just wasn't the best specimen, but he's the only one I ever ate from, and all I have to judge from.

After this conversation, I guess I would give it another try cooked by one of you bear cooking gurus.

I've not eaten bear that's been dogged, I know Hillbilly has and he can speak on that. But I've often wondered if a bear that's been run by hounds and had its adrenaline and lactic acid built up would taste differently. And as you say, if it wasn't taken care of promptly, it will begin to turn quickly. Personally, I think most people that have had bad experiences with bear meat (or wild game in general) the fault lies with how the animal was handled after the kill. Driving it all around the county to show it off is a sure recipe for spoiled meat.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Is it not dry and chewy? I guess I’m somewhat hesitant to kill a bear if I’ve got to cook it all well done.

You don't have to turn it into jerky to get it done. I think I read once that freezing bear meat for 30 days or something like that will kill the trichinosis. Maybe that's why I don't bother checking temps.

Athos

Apparently some types are killed by freezing, while others are not.

Just saw that in the article

Whit90

You don't have to turn it into jerky to get it done. I think I read once that freezing bear meat for 30 days or something like that will kill the trichinosis. Maybe that's why I don't bother checking temps.

Lol I hear ya. I have seen you mention that your really like it multiple times, so I assume that you are able to get it up to temp and it’s still moist and tender.

Buckman18

I've not eaten bear that's been dogged, I know Hillbilly has and he can speak on that. But I've often wondered if a bear that's been run by hounds and had its adrenaline and lactic acid built up would taste differently. And as you say, if it wasn't taken care of promptly, it will begin to turn quickly. Personally, I think most people that have had bad experiences with bear meat (or wild game in general) the fault lies with how the animal was handled after the kill. Driving it all around the county to show it off is a sure recipe for spoiled meat.

This is true especially during bow season. Bear spoils very quickly.

Ive had dogged bears plenty of times and I personally can't tell a difference.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lol I hear ya. I have seen you mention that your really like it multiple times, so I assume that you are able to get it up to temp and it’s still moist and tender.
Think grilled pork chops. Same scenario-backstrap steaks cooked past pink. A little brining would probably be good, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely. A bear that has been dogged hard and fought all day is not as good as one you sneak up and shoot. But they're still usually pretty durn good.

I remember my dad talking about killing one out in Washington state that had been eating salmon. He said it was absolutely inedible.

tree cutter 08

Sausage, crock pot, smoked like a butt and pulled for bbq, canned or ground. My favourite is to cut into bite size chunks and season with salt and pepper. Fry up taters, onions and peppers on the Blackstone and when it's almost done turn the heat up and toss on those bear bites and sear till pink is nearly gone. I could eat that meal every day.

Whit90

Sausage, crock pot, smoked like a butt and pulled for bbq, canned or ground. My favourite is to cut into bite size chunks and season with salt and pepper. Fry up taters, onions and peppers on the Blackstone and when it's almost done turn the heat up and toss on those bear bites and sear till pink is nearly gone. I could eat that meal every day.

Ok, I’m hungry now!

ddd-shooter

Get the fat off immediately. It’ll turn the meat, but KEEP IT and render it, it’s delicious.
All good recipes thus far. My favorite is bbq in the crockpot. Cook it like beef roast for a few hours, then add sauce and simmer for a few hours. It’ll be better than any pork bbq you’ve ever had. I guarantee it. We also do “bear balls” similar recipe to pork sausage balls and they’re awesome as well. Ive never really grilled any bear, but I’ll be looking for a good recipe there myself.

splatek

UAEC
Sous vide then sear on the black stone. my woman and her mom couldn’t get enough of it. Thanks to @Buckman18 for sharing, but now these ladies are dogging me to get some bear!
They told me BHA stands for bear hunters anonymous for those of us that long to kill one but suck at it... funny girls ? but serious on the sous vide. Awesome on deer and hog as well.

Whit90

Sous vide then sear on the black stone. my woman and her mom couldn’t get enough of it. Thanks to @Buckman18 for sharing, but now these ladies are dogging me to get some bear!
They told me BHA stands for bear hunters anonymous for those of us that long to kill one but suck at it... funny girls ? but serious on the sous vide. Awesome on deer and hog as well.

I have yet to venture in the the sous vide world, but I have heard great things.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am totally down with the sous vide, but isn't the black stone just a glorified cast iron skillet?
More like a restaurant flattop. I love mine.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive had some biscuits with bear in them from a raybun county lady. They were excellent.

I killed one off bait years ago up north. While the back strap made good cube steak. I did not trim all the fat off the rest. I canned it. I tried but could not eat it. It left the inside of your mouth covered in a layer of grease you couldnt get rid of.

When i get another all the fat will be trimmed or boiled out.

By the way i donated my canned bear to a guy who fosters shelter animals. He said it started multiple fights among the dogs.

EyesUp83

From everything I've read on bears, black brown, grizz... the meat is certainly indicative of the diet they have been eating (along with proper preparation and post- kill care). Bears that have been feeding on berries and mast/ crops can taste wonderful. Bears that have been regularly feeding on carrion or dead fish (even mixed with fresh fish and mast) will be a horrid tasting meat.
Our bears in north Georgia are 90% mast eaters and should always be a good tasting bear meat provided they are properly cared for in the field- gutted, skinned, meat cooling ASAP- and the meat is properly prepped for the meal.

Latest posts