500FPS!!!

shdw633

I wonder how that kind of speed would affect mechanical broadheads. Would seem to me they wouldn't have time to open before they were totally through the deer. If I had money to burn I suppose I would buy one just to have it but I can't see spending that kind of money on a crossbow especially one that weighs 10 pounds!!!

across the river

I wonder how that kind of speed would affect mechanical broadheads. Would seem to me they wouldn't have time to open before they were totally through the deer. If I had money to burn I suppose I would buy one just to have it but I can't see spending that kind of money on a crossbow especially one that weighs 10 pounds!!!
The open based on resistance force so it makes no difference. Bigger issue would be deploying before they got there due to the increased speed and inertia, which is why the are making the locking mechanisms for them now for crossbows.

shdw633

So what's your minimum FPS then ?

I have a 370 fps and a 410 fps, knowing that they don't hit those fps numbers unless you have the manufacturers bolts, and both my crossbows and have yet to not have a complete pass through on deer out to 40 yards and both of my crossbows were under $250.

across the river

I have a 370 fps and a 410 fps, knowing that they don't hit those fps numbers unless you have the manufacturers bolts, and both my crossbows and have yet to not have a complete pass through on deer out to 40 yards and both of my crossbows were under $250.

The advantage of the speed isn’t so much the “killing ability” as it is the distance you can shoot. A broad head is designed to cut through the animal, and 300 FPS verses 500 FPS really have little impact from that sense, outside of maybe hitting one dead in the shoulder blade. Where the higher FPS helps is shooting at distance. Ignoring friction, shooting a 500FPS crossbow at 50 and 100 yards would be the equivalent in terms of arrow drop as shooting a 300FPS compound bow at 30 and 60 yards respectively. When you consider friction and the fact that the bolts are shorter then it skews even more in favor of the crossbow. It essentially becomes a standard muzzleloader for archery season in terms of range. With that being said, I wouldn’t pay that for one. I bought my daughter a cheap one to hunt, and it has worked fine so far. She isn’t shooting it over about 25 yards though.

Buckman18

I could buy 18 of my crossbow for what that one costs, and shoots 370fps. Mine was on sale at midwayusa.com for $189. Its killed a deer bear and hog so far, and its not missed yet!

jimmy.444

It says the electric cocking device is operated by a 12 volt battery?
Whose gonna pack one of them in the woods—

across the river

It says the electric cocking device is operated by a 12 volt battery?
Whose gonna pack one of them in the woods—

There are 12V batteries in a lot of key fobs, the 23As or something like that. They aren't all the size of those ones that run the kids cars.

shdw633

My center point shoots 415fps and I have not found a target that will stop the bolt
The Wedge will stop it. It stops my 410 fps xbow