Camera recommendations

BMan21

I'm looking to buy all new cameras for my property. I want the cellular ones that go to your Phone. Any recommendations?

shdw633

Wait until the spring and get the new Tactacam that comes out. I have four of them and they have been awesome!!

Sixes

I've ran cameras since the original 35mm Camtrakker and the Tactacam Reveal is the best one that I have owned.

My only issue is one of them will fog when there is a big temperature change. But I plant to address that or send it back.

The pics are clear, the app works good, the videos are nice and the price point is about the best out there for a cell cam. 2 cameras running unlimited for 25 a month is fair priced.

This buck was at least 30+ yards from the camera when he walked between me and the camera and the quality off the card is 10x better than the pic sent to the app which is where this pic was taken from

f3dba817-8920-415a-ac04-bbc2744c4bf1 (002).jpg

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
For the person who doesn't like headaches, it's either Spartan or Ridgetec it seems. I run Spartans because I can add them to my Verizon account cheaply at $8.14(5.14 to Verizon, 3 for a credit) a camera with unlimited video. I can change settings numerous times a day if I want. Ridgetec is a nice camera as well.

Tactacam seems pretty good, and I'm sure it will be when there is more control of it remotely, and maybe some better resolution through the app.

As for the fogging up, Sixes, I'd guess its possibly the lense coating. Or the heat trapped in the camera during the day. My Spartan does it on nights when the temp reaches the dew point. I tried FogX with not much help. Going to try Catcrap next. My Fisher Price Moultries rarely fog up.

Tight Lines

If you want inexpensive: Tactacam

If you want best value: Spartan on Verizon

If you want the best: Ridgetec or Reconyx

There are also Spypont and Browning which are good.

I run 10 Spartans, 4 Tactacam, 2 Cuddebak and 1 Spypoint.

Spartan is the best value for the combination of camera and service. However, if I could get Ridgetec or Reconyx cameras cheaper, and use their services, I might go that route.

I would not expand my Spypoint or Cuddebak and I think Tactacam has some growing to do...

YMMV

JROESEL

TACTACAM!!! It’s the easiest most affordable cell cam there is, they will be coming out in April accordingly to the customer service, plus a higher end model, so 99$ for the camera, 129$ for the first camera for one year, then 79$ or 89$ I don’t remember for every camera after, no app fees, no monthly fees, no data charges, it’s unlimited, I have six of them, season is over and now I have them on my property as security cameras, I can tell you instantly when someone is at my gate

Sixes

If you want inexpensive: Tactacam

If you want best value: Spartan on Verizon

If you want the best: Ridgetec or Reconyx

There are also Spypont and Browning which are good.

I run 10 Spartans, 4 Tactacam, 2 Cuddebak and 1 Spypoint.

Spartan is the best value for the combination of camera and service. However, if I could get Ridgetec or Reconyx cameras cheaper, and use their services, I might go that route.

I would not expand my Spypoint or Cuddebak and I think Tactacam has some growing to do...

YMMV
It sounds like you run several brands. I'm not cheap and do not mind paying for quality, but my question is Do you think the higher end cameras are worth 3-5 times the Tactacam price point? I'll put a $100 camera on a tree without a lot of concern, but $350-500 for camera is gonna bring worries and be locked to a tree.

Personally, I would not run a cruddebak if they gave me a the cameras with a free plan. My experience with their ovepriced junk and horrible customer "nickel and dime you" service from years back caused me to swear them off.

Buford_Dawg

I had great luck with both Tactacam and Spypoint. The Tactacam does provide a clearer picture via Cell. I can not bring myself to spend >200.00 per camera to put on a tree and have a trespasser take it. That has happened to many times in the past, so I go the budget route. I would love to be able to run the higher end, just to see the difference, but cant bring myself to do it.

Sixes

For the person who doesn't like headaches, it's either Spartan or Ridgetec it seems. I run Spartans because I can add them to my Verizon account cheaply at $8.14(5.14 to Verizon, 3 for a credit) a camera with unlimited video. I can change settings numerous times a day if I want. Ridgetec is a nice camera as well.

Tactacam seems pretty good, and I'm sure it will be when there is more control of it remotely, and maybe some better resolution through the app.

As for the fogging up, Sixes, I'd guess its possibly the lense coating. Or the heat trapped in the camera during the day. My Spartan does it on nights when the temp reaches the dew point. I tried FogX with not much help. Going to try Catcrap next. My Fisher Price Moultries rarely fog up.

I've noticed mine does it a dew point too, I wonder if the batteries are generating heat and then forming condensate inside the camera housing. The fogging is not on the outside but inside the housing.

I might unscrew the housing and apply something to the lens, but I might just send it back and let them deal with the issue.

I've ran Bushnell Trophy Cams for about 8-10 years and lots of other brands over the years and I've never seen one fog over with the exception of ice forming on the camera, but that has been rare.

XIronheadX

I've noticed mine does it a dew point too, I wonder if the batteries are generating heat and then forming condensate inside the camera housing. The fogging is not on the outside but inside the housing.

I might unscrew the housing and apply something to the lens, but I might just send it back and let them deal with the issue.

I've ran Bushnell Trophy Cams for about 8-10 years and lots of other brands over the years and I've never seen one fog over with the exception of ice forming on the camera, but that has been rare.
Yeah, if its inside thats another story that's probably not good in the long run. Maybe not air tight and sweating like single pane windows in cold weather.

XIronheadX

I had great luck with both Tactacam and Spypoint. The Tactacam does provide a clearer picture via Cell. I can not bring myself to spend >200.00 per camera to put on a tree and have a trespasser take it. That has happened to many times in the past, so I go the budget route. I would love to be able to run the higher end, just to see the difference, but cant bring myself to do it.
Moultrie has the best pic to the app with the hi res request from either the higher end cams connected to modems, or the XV7000. The problem is getting them to last, and the aggravation of sending things back under warranty. It's either hit or miss.

Tight Lines

It sounds like you run several brands. I'm not cheap and do not mind paying for quality, but my question is Do you think the higher end cameras are worth 3-5 times the Tactacam price point? I'll put a $100 camera on a tree without a lot of concern, but $350-500 for camera is gonna bring worries and be locked to a tree.

Personally, I would not run a cruddebak if they gave me a the cameras with a free plan. My experience with their ovepriced junk and horrible customer "nickel and dime you" service from years back caused me to swear them off.

Yes I have been playing with alternatives to Spartan. I like Spartan but there are also shortcomings. The higher priced cameras are generally better quality images and cameras. Reconyx has a 5-year warranty. Is it worth the 5X over the Tactacam? Well, probably not but also apples and oranges...the Tactacam is a great little camera, but the app and the images are not the best...but it will improve.

I am going to punt the Cuddebak. I thought it might be a good system, but I hate it. And the images are not that good...

I'll probably double down on the Spartans or switch to Ridgetec if I can get a deal on some...

nmurph

I wholeheartedly endorse Ridgetec cameras. I understand if you have to worry about theft in the woods. If that was a concern for me, I would probably look at something cheaper, probably the Tacticam as they seem to have lots of favorable reports.

I've had 7 Reconyx RC60's, some are 10 years old. I considered the Reconyx cell cams last summer when I was researching cell cameras based on my very favorable experience with the brand. Then I came across Ridgetec and the rest is, as they say, history. I think they very closely mirror the Reconyx for performance at less than half the price. I couldn't be happier and will be adding more this coming year. If your situation allows, I think this camera will exceed most user's expectations.

Luv2Bowhnt

I've got 4 RidgeTecs and really like them. Expensive but reliable. As mentioned above, customer service is fantastic!

shdw633

I have 3 spypoint evos and haven't had any problems with them

You're lucky. I had 5 and they were all junk and their customer service is the worse.

BMan21

Thank you for all the recommendations this is a huge help.