Nearest River for Smallies

What would be the closest river to Woodstock to chase smallies from a yak. After driving to Thomaston for shoalies through traffic last week I think I'd river look north for quality river fishing.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
What would be the closest river to Woodstock to chase smallies from a yak. After driving to Thomaston for shoalies through traffic last week I think I'd river look north for quality river fishing.

no where in Georgia.

We no longer have a viable small mouth fishery because some people thought spots were a better choice in Chatuge and Blue Ridge

Tugboat1

If I'm not mistaken, the lower Tuckeseegee has them

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, the lower Tuckeseegee has them
Plenty in the Tuckaseegee, all the way up above Cullowhee. Also plenty in the Little T, lower Oconoluftee, Pigeon, and French Broad. Almost every sizable stream in western NC has at least a few.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Plenty in the Tuckaseegee, all the way up above Cullowhee. Also plenty in the Little T, lower Oconoluftee, Pigeon, and French Broad. Almost every sizable stream in western NC has at least a few.
When you refer the Little T are you referencing the Little Tennessee?We just got back from Franklin NC and I was checking this river out and we will definitely be going back in June.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When you refer the Little T are you referencing the Little Tennessee?We just got back from Franklin NC and I was checking this river out and we will definitely be going back in June.
Yep. Pretty good fishing in there. Lots of smallmouth, a few trout, good walleye and white bass runs.

ghadarits

The Chattahoochee below Morgan falls dam has a few. Or they are shoal bass that look very very similar to small mouth.

SouthGa Fisher

The "closest" would be the Toccoa, but not a great chance of catching one. I'd bet some people can hammer them on the Toccoa, but most cannot.

The "best" option (in my opinion) given distance/likelihood of catching SM would be the Little Tennessee in Franklin as mentioned above. From beginning of spring, all throughout the summer, you can throw a worm or small crankbait and catch them. They're *generally* wither on the banks or in the shoals. Once you figure out which place they are you can catch plenty. Also, it gets blown out easy but seems to clear up quickly too.

Also mentioned, they are in the Savannah River shoals in Augusta. From Woodstock its 10-15 minutes further than Franklin is. Difference is you'd need a NC fishing license, which is an added cost.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Does the Little T hold a good population of larger fish 20" or is it more of a numbers game?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Does the Little T hold a good population of larger fish 20" or is it more of a numbers game?
Nowhere on earth that I know of holds a "good population" of predominately 20" + smallmouth. I have caught them up to three pounds or more out of the river. They get bigger on down the river in Fontana Lake. There are some big ones in there, but like any river smallmouth fishery, you will catch a lot of smaller ones for every hawg you catch. Even a foot-long smallmouth will put up a good fight on a light action spinning rig or fly rod.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Yea I worded that wrong :bounce: I meant to say up to 20".I'm good with average with a chance to catch a 20" or better.

gunnurse

There is a guy on YouTube that regularly scores smallies, just not in Georgia. Check him out. His channel is “Creek Fishing.”

jkp66

SAvannah river in Augusta has some. I've never caught them but I know people that have. Best closest fishery I have fished is the upper Broad in SC. I've caught a ton there and seen some good ones landed too.