Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I think anytime you shoot a whitetail in the vital area with a 45 caliber bullet at rifle velocities you get a bang flop.
Depends on what is damaged. I've shot a few deer through the lungs/heart with .452 dia shotgun sabot rounds and while they have not gone far they do not drop without major bones or spine also being damaged. Bullet construction plays a big part also. Some .45 cal pistol bullets grenade at rifle velocities and they tend to disrupt the nervous system more on high lung hits but also jelly a lot more meat than I like.

rosewood

I guess I should have qualified that statement with heavy rifle bullets. I was thinking along the lines of 45-70 type.

chuckdog

I think of the 450BM as the 45ACP Long. Same headspace issues, concerns and procedures.

Below are a couple of my post from 2010 where I mention the .450 comparing the 45 ACP. I believe may may have used the term "45 ACP On Steroids."

I knew it was several years back, but time has really gotten by.

The AR platform rifle is very practical for me. I've been right where you are many times though. If I looked at something a few times and thought, " I haven't picked that thing up in months, what do I even have that?" I like the AR platform, I have several in various calibers and configurations. They're fun for the entire family. My grandaughter enjoys shooting them with ease due to the low recoil and collapsible stock that make them an easy fit for her. I have one in 6.8 SPC that should be great in the deer woods or bean fields. I also have one in .450 Bushmaster that will come in handy if they ever open a season on bulldozer in Ga. Plus it's just a ball to shoot. Anyway they all have their own personality and use. One thing about them and all my toys that I've come to appreciate over the years that I think applies here. "They don't eat a thing when not in use." Most guns that I've sold off when feeling as you do, I've later regretted. Another thing that my old Pappy preached and it finally sunk in is "It's much better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it." As others have said, they're easily replaced now, but they may not be in a few months again.

"I have a 16" 450 Bushmaster. I chose the 450 over the other big bore AR platform calibers because It uses the same bullet diameter as my old .454 Casull and the 45 Colt. I have a plethora of bullets on hand, and it shoots em' great. Handloading for it is like loading the biggest 45 ACP you've ever loaded. It headspaces on the case mouth just like the ACP, so you use a taper crimp. It's incredibly accurate and the recoil isn't bad at all. I been loading some of the leverlution bullets with great results too. I also have a 6.8 spc. I haven't had a chance to hunt with either, but I have every confidence both will be very effective on the "Dastardly Whitetail."

rosewood

Buddy plans on taking his 6 year old Turkey hunting this season. Can't find .410 ammo of course. So I worked on some "turkey" loads for it with #6 shot Tuesday night. Went and patterned yesterday. Chronographed at about 1240 FPS. Pretty sure it is a dead turkey at 20 yards for sure, at least in my Savage 940C. He is going to have to pattern in his gun and he can borrow mine if his won't pattern.

Rosewood

Nimrod71

As soon as I finish off dinner, fried cube steak with onion gravy, home made mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, garden peas, hoe cake bread, sweet tea and apple pie, I will be heading to the reloading bench.

This morning I shot up all my loaded ammo for my 250 Savage, 22-250 and 6 mm Rem.

The plan is to load 10 rounds of each. Since we are in a low period for ammo and parts I am trying to make the most of my supplies.

I will be loading the 6 mm with Sierra 70 gr. Match Kings with IMR 4320. The 250 will get 100 Sierra with IMR 4064. The 22-250 will be loaded with 55 gr. Dogtown bullets and IMR 4895.

For a Rifleman, shooting and reloading makes for a great day.

chuckdog

As soon as I finish off dinner, fried cube steak with onion gravy, home made mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, garden peas, hoe cake bread, sweet tea and apple pie, I will be heading to the reloading bench.

This morning I shot up all my loaded ammo for my 250 Savage, 22-250 and 6 mm Rem.

The plan is to load 10 rounds of each. Since we are in a low period for ammo and parts I am trying to make the most of my supplies.

I will be loading the 6 mm with Sierra 70 gr. Match Kings with IMR 4320. The 250 will get 100 Sierra with IMR 4064. The 22-250 will be loaded with 55 gr. Dogtown bullets and IMR 4895.

For a Rifleman, shooting and reloading makes for a great day.

If I were to eat a meal like that, I'd be too sleepy to make it to my loading area much less load anything if I did happen to make it!

simpleman30

Got some .35 Remington Brass tumbling over at my neighbor's house. Planning on loading it this weekend.
Not today but Sunday, and here's a pic of the work in progress. Loaded 45 rounds because that's all the brass I had. 20 in 200 gr. round nose and 25 in 200 grain spire points (spare me the boogie-man comments about spire points in a tube magazine, lol).

And disregard the "organization" of the reloading bench. When your neighbor offers his tumbler, powder, primer, and tools, and all you have to provide is brass and bullets, you tell him "thank you" and make it work!.35 Rem reloading.jpg

Last edited:

chuckdog

While buying replacement wiper blades at Auto Zone earlier this week I finally remembered to get a few assorted rubber O rings.

When I load calibers like 9mm I use many different weight/shape bullets on a regular basis. I finally got tired enough of having to reach for the proper wrench or pliers each time I want to make just a fine adjustment on the seating depth, etc.

I've been meaning to try this work around for a long time, just could never remember to look for O rings while out.

So far this is working just as I wanted. I can adjust to my hearts desire, not worry about it working loose, and not have to reach for tools for each tweak.

This Lyman seating die works well with a 7/16" I D ring. With this RCBS case mouth expansion die I used a 1/2" I D ring.

Both provide plenty of tension to hold while still allowing them to turn when you want.

O ring tensioner (2).jpg

O ring rcbs.jpg

I know I ain't likely the first to do this and it ain't something "set and forget" folks will be interested in. For me though, it's put near as handy as a shirt pocket!

chuckdog

I just finished loading 300 230gr FMJ 45 ACP.

Mixed brass and primers. 6grs of Universal.

Aside from the mixed primers, this is a load I've used for years in non target pistola's. That's the PC way of saying defensive pistols now.

I have several books that show 6.2 or more being max. I looked at Hodgdon and they're now listing 5.6 is max for 230gr ball loads.

I got to looking at my powder bottles for lot numbers and noticed all the powder that I've been using from a 4lb jug and a couple of 1lb containers are made in Australia. All the singles that I have picked up lately are marked made in Canada.

I wonder if the change in supplier has made the difference, or just more lawyer proofing?

I always rotate, using the oldest first. I'll likely forget about this before I get to the Canadian stuff. I doubt the difference will be noticeable.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Just finished roll crimping some .410 for turkey hunting. Have a couple of friends that wanted to let their 6 and 8 year old kids hunt turkey this year but ammo is unobtanium. So I am hooking them up. :)

I remember back when I started loading shotshells, I ran the numbers and it almost seemed like it wasn't saving any money. The equipment is paying off now. :)
030202116584.jpg
Rosewood

rosewood

While buying replacement wiper blades at Auto Zone earlier this week I finally remembered to get a few assorted rubber O rings.

When I load calibers like 9mm I use many different weight/shape bullets on a regular basis. I finally got tired enough of having to reach for the proper wrench or pliers each time I want to make just a fine adjustment on the seating depth, etc.

I've been meaning to try this work around for a long time, just could never remember to look for O rings while out.

So far this is working just as I wanted. I can adjust to my hearts desire, not worry about it working loose, and not have to reach for tools for each tweak.

This Lyman seating die works well with a 7/16" I D ring. With this RCBS case mouth expansion die I used a 1/2" I D ring.

Both provide plenty of tension to hold while still allowing them to turn when you want.

View attachment 1063238

View attachment 1063239

I know I ain't likely the first to do this and it ain't something "set and forget" folks will be interested in. For me though, it's put near as handy as a shirt pocket!
Ahh, you have converted your Lyman dies to the Lee adjustment type. :)

Jester896

Senior Clown
I watched 1 1/2 buckets of 9mm and .223 get sized and washed...ate a chicken sammich...then went to my Ice Pack date.

doomtrpr_z71

I tumbled brass while I tried to weld a lawnmower deck, deck was too rusty to get a ground and I then forgot the tumbler was running so after 4 hours they should gleam. The brass, bullets, and dies for the wife's 6.5 creedmoor all got delivered today as well, time to clear out all the 243 stuff.

deerslayer357

I tumbled some twice fired 357 mag and 40 s&w brass yesterday, then sized and primed 80 45acp brass this morning. Plan to loan the 45’s later tonight.

I also finally got around to mounting the shell trough under my press for finished rounds to fall into today. Press has only been in use in current location for 4-5 years!

Dub

I tumbled some twice fired 357 mag and 40 s&w brass yesterday, then sized and primed 80 45acp brass this morning. Plan to loan the 45’s later tonight.

I also finally got around to mounting the shell trough under my press for finished rounds to fall into today. Press has only been in use in current location for 4-5 years!

I can relate, young bro....I can relate. It's taken me two years to get my stuff all in one sock, ducks in a row, birdies in hand, etc. Who knows....maybe will actually get a round loaded and range tested this coming week....maybe. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.