Trolling motor speed test

weagle

I put a Watersnake T24 Trolling motor in place of the pedals on my Pelican Catch 110 and took it for a spin on Lanier. The set up is on a DIY mount and I'm using a 32ah AGM battery that weighs 23lbs. The motor only weighs 5.8lbs. The motor pulls 9amps on low and 20amps on high. I used this battery on an old minnkota 24lb thrust motor on my other kayak and never ran out of juice in a days fishing. I only use the motor to cover water and use my paddle the rest of the time. I think this is going to be an excellent set-up for Hollis Lathem, Hard Labor Creek and the other sizable watershed lakes. Speed was close to 4mph on high and around 2mph on low.

watersnake.png

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ajohnson0587

Thats pretty good! I just put a Motorguide Xi3 on the bow of my Bonafide SS127 a few weeks ago, i am able to get 4.6mph on high with all my tournament fishing gear and a 60lb 90AH AGM battery. I installed the Machete prop on the motor as its supposed to be 100% weedless and get you faster speeds on the water.

weagle

Thats pretty good! I just put a Motorguide Xi3 on the bow of my Bonafide SS127 a few weeks ago, i am able to get 4.6mph on high with all my tournament fishing gear and a 60lb 90AH AGM battery. I installed the Machete prop on the motor as its supposed to be 100% weedless and get you faster speeds on the water.

Nice. You have any pictures of you rig?

Now that I'm sure this set up works well, i'm going to add one of those infinite speed controls so I have more control over the speed and power usage than just low and high.

seeker

Don't forget to register the kayak now that you have the motor. I'd hate to see you get a ticket. Nice set-up.

Ajohnson0587

Nice. You have any pictures of you rig?

Now that I'm sure this set up works well, i'm going to add one of those infinite speed controls so I have more control over the speed and power usage than just low and high.
I dnt have any with the current setup, I’ll grab a few this weekend and post them up.

weagle

I have a bow mount on my Pelican Catch 120. It works well, but it has a lot more wires and controls and isn't as clean of a set-up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>