Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay?

Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay.

• Total voters

Jim Baker

Staff member
The possum and the buzzards gotta eat too. Hogs have gone from being an nusiance to being a blight. You can't kill enough of them to make a difference once they take hold. You may run them off for a few weeks or a month or so but if there is a plentiful food supply, natural or otherwise, they will be back.

Hogs are a much worse problem than coyotes to the deer populaton. You going to eat that coyote you shoot under your deer feeder?

RootConservative

gut shoot and let them run off so you don't have to deal with'em !!!!!
I use to be in a club that the landowner was a bigtime farmer. He leased us 1800 of his 4500 acres. His biggest rule was shoot every hog in the stomach. He said they will run miles when it happens and die off his property. He would not allow us to harvest hogs if caught it was pack up your stuff and never come back.

cracker4112

I will fill my freezer with sows and then every pig I shoot goes to the gut pile. If someone wants one, I'll give them away but that rarely happens as there are just so many. We can't get a handle on them and between the 2 places I hunt we probably kill 300 to 400 a year. This in FL south o

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
There's so many, it's impossible to use all that are trapped or killed. We do attempt to find someone to take the hogs that look to be healthy. Members of my club use what they can. We take out all we can and they're still destroying local farms, and adding plenty destruction in our woods and plots.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Maybe a question for the recipe forum, but is any meat on a big boar that's worth keeping, even for sausage? Chops?
As a rule, if you drop a boar hog dead in his tracks and he never knew your were there, or he hasn't been riled up. The meat can be used if dressed and cooled immediately. I like to cool the meat down in running water before icing. Makes good sausage, chop and ground pork. I don't use boar ribs. My favorite meat hog is a gilt from 40 to 125 pounds like the one in the photo

Attachments

• Gilt Dec 26.jpg
    Gilt Dec 26.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 16

deerpoacher1970

It all depends if they stink or not,some of the best ribs I ever ate come from a big boar ,I let him lay in very cold creek for 3 days before skinning some fine bbq.

280 Man

Banned
Yep, absolutely nothing wrong with boars. Pork is pork. Lots of hearsay passed around about boar/wild pork.

This^^^^^

Killed a big ol boar several years back and he stank to high heaven. Some of the guys kept saying "he'll not be any good, I'd throw him away". Glad I didn't Iisten.

I hung that ol boy up, washed him with soap and water and took great care removing his nads and bladder, along with other things. Some of the best wild pork I've ever ate. I'll not throw any hog away.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Boars can usually be used if they are not riled up before killing. Head shot dropped in his tracks and he didn't know you were anywhere in the world, probably worth butchering. Run and catch with dogs, not so much. I had rather have shoats or gilts up to 125 pounds. There's so many hogs in SW Ga in our woods now. There's no way all can be used. The woods are full of hog bones these days. Bone meal for the trees..