Tournament Ready!

Ajohnson0587

Finally my Bonafide SS127 is rigged up how I want it (Yes in know motor is not allowed during tournament)and she is ready for the first tournament this weekend on the HOBIE BOS Series at Lake Seminole. Unfortunately I had no time to pre-fish with work and helping take care of my father in-law while he battles cancer, but to make up for that I have been keeping up with fishing reports in the area, studying Topo maps, and watching as many videos as possible on the fishery. This will be my first Fishing tournament and I will be happy catching a limit and soaking up as much info about Tournament fishing as possible, outside of that I don't have any other expectation, but the competitor in me is going to give it my all. Any advice from other Kayak tournament fishermen is welcomed.

Attachments

• kayak.jpeg
    kayak.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 58
  • kayak 2..jpeg
    kayak 2..jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

SouthGa Fisher

Make sure you have a metal Ketch board. That's the only measuring board they allow, I think KBF and *most* other clubs/trails are doing this as well this year.

COVID hit my babysitter, so I've gotta sit Seminole out...

Also, it's gonna be really windy. Might want to stay away from the main lake.

Ajohnson0587

Make sure you have a metal Ketch board. That's the only measuring board they allow, I think KBF and *most* other clubs/trails are doing this as well this year.

COVID hit my babysitter, so I've gotta sit Seminole out...

Also, it's gonna be really windy. Might want to stay away from the main lake.

Yeah, I had to order one last week, I also just bought the new Karbonate model for the KBF the week prior. Ketch has been getting all my money lol, I should have just bought the metal one from the get go.

Because of the wind an no motors allowed I think I’m gonna focus on these pockets of water.

Attachments

• 96347DA6-5B81-4E24-9CF0-4F34BC8D4022.jpeg
    96347DA6-5B81-4E24-9CF0-4F34BC8D4022.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 17

SouthGa Fisher

Yeah, I had to order one last week, I also just bought the new Karbonate model for the KBF the week prior. Ketch has been getting all my money lol, I should have just bought the metal one from the get go.

Because of the wind an no motors allowed I think I’m gonna focus on these pockets of water.

Just be ready for company, especially there. That's what we call Fish Pond Drain. Getting from pond to pond through there you have to take extremely narrow channels, and some of the guys come through there wide open (I've been guilty of it in the past as well).

Back in those ponds should be the cleanest water though, if that's what you're looking for. Hope you have fun in your first tournament, it gets addicting.

Oh and don't watch TourneyX. It'll ruin your day, guaranteed.

Ajohnson0587

Just be ready for company, especially there. That's what we call Fish Pond Drain. Getting from pond to pond through there you have to take extremely narrow channels, and some of the guys come through there wide open (I've been guilty of it in the past as well).

Back in those ponds should be the cleanest water though, if that's what you're looking for. Hope you have fun in your first tournament, it gets addicting.

Oh and don't watch TourneyX. It'll ruin your day, guaranteed.
I’ll be sure to keep my Visi Pole up then, thanks for the info I greatly appreciate it.

Coenen

Make sure you have your identifier on everything! Make sure have you have a couple of good clean shots of the fish before the release. If allowed, consider a donkey leash so that you can put the fish back in the water while you're fiddling with your board and phone and whatever else. After you're done with a fish, if you're not going to upload immediately, take a throwaway snap of your sonar or something similar to make them easier to differentiate in your gallery.

If you don't have a phone tether, that's a big one.

Ajohnson0587

Make sure you have your identifier on everything! Make sure have you have a couple of good clean shots of the fish before the release. If allowed, consider a donkey leash so that you can put the fish back in the water while you're fiddling with your board and phone and whatever else. After you're done with a fish, if you're not going to upload immediately, take a throwaway snap of your sonar or something similar to make them easier to differentiate in your gallery.

If you don't have a phone tether, that's a big one.
Thanks for all the info, I have all the items above and I always capture multiple photos, I also mark each photo with the number fish caught to avoid double uploads. I fished some of the Monthly KBF tournaments last summer, that helped me learn A lot from mistakes and lack of gear at the time.

I was able to get Friday off from work so I will have 1 day to pre-fish and try to figure out what the fish are doing. But with the weather front coming in who knows what could happen. Rain gear has been pulled out and all my gear has been gone through, all reels have new line, and hooks have been replaced on my crank baits. I just wish I could use my trolling motor in the tournament lol.

Ajohnson0587

Well.... My only day to pre-fish was not very successful. I was able to cover about 15mile of water between 2 different launches, I was able to catch some fish. Unfortunately it wasn't the species I was hoping for. I caught 8 pickerel fishing edges of grass lines in 8ft of water on a Black & Blue Z-Man chatter bait with a white paddle tail trailer., I have never caught these fish before and i would have like to keep it that way lol. They had other plans though, Its like they were following me!!! Outside of the chatter bait I threw everything including the kitchen sink with no luck, I even found grass matts that I was able to punch, no luck there either. Oh well, Tomorrow is the first day of the Tournament.pickerel.jpg

dank1296

Check out Drew Gregory he finished 4th in a Crescent Kayak. He Has a podcast and has great info on getting started.