Swamp trip....

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Thats a fun trip. @T-N-T told me he had a last minute trip planned. Wish I could have made it but we leave out for Canal Run on the 20th and couldnt get off work. Shoot me pointers on the fishing. I have never done too good catching fish there.

Geffellz18

That's a lot of fun!! Looks like you put in at SFP. Bowfins are huge fun...always willing to play.

Yes sir, that was the launch point and a quick paddle to Mixons Hammock & Indeed they were!

Thats a fun trip. @T-N-T told me he had a last minute trip planned. Wish I could have made it but we leave out for Canal Run on the 20th and couldnt get off work. Shoot me pointers on the fishing. I have never done too good catching fish there.

He mentioned heading out again on the 20th. You guys have a nice time!
If you’re launching out of SCF, I caught all of the fish right there at the outpost/marina.

Those fishing there said anything red and yellow are the ticket.
One of the guys gave me some of the red worms you see in the pics. They were 7” powerbait brand. Fished them on a jig head, slow reeling them right on the bottom. No jigging or anything, just reeling it back slow did the job. They had a light bite. Just keep reeling and when you can tell they have it completely, set the hook hard! They have boney mouths. The warmouth pictured was also caught on the red worm.
However, I also caught a couple bowfins on small pink/white curly tail jigs as I was trying for warmouth by just dropping it to the bottom straight down over the edge and lightly jigging it up and down, and another guy fishing for warmouth caught at least 3 bowfins on a crappie magnet-think it was a dark blue or green with chartreuse tail. He and his wife were hammering the warmouth too with those crappie magnets.
The bowfin might actually eat anything if it’s in front of them for all I know.
For chain pickerels, they said anything with a spinner is popular in the same colors mentioned. Like a rooster tail, beetle spin, etc.
and the fliers are best caught on a local lure called a Swamp Sally. Basically a small fly. They had pink ones at the outpost for purchase. They also say to add a white “maggot” to it for a better bite. Basically a small white plastic piece of worm added as a small trailer to the hook.

Here’s a pic of the pink/white jig I used and red worm the guy I was fishing around gave me to use.
The crappie magnet pictured is just an example of what the older couple was using. All were actively catching fish!
899F5AE2-05DF-4B3F-8C51-F028B7E4A592.jpeg

Have a great time in a couple of weeks and good luck with fishing!

BTW, How long is the paddle to Canal Run?

Last edited:

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
@Geffellz18 I believe the paddle is around 7 miles

Thanks for the info on the lures

T-N-T

I took one of those pics in the OP. Lol

2 swamp paddles in one season, with great friends i met on the interwebs.... good stuff

Geffellz18

I took one of those pics in the OP. Lol

2 swamp paddles in one season, with great friends i met on the interwebs.... good stuff

Thanks again for the invite TNT! Always a blast hanging with you and whoever joins in.
Looked like the weather was much more favorable this past weekend. I’m sure you guys had a great time.
Look forward to the next trip....even if it’s another 3 years, lol!