Ammo Availability - UPDATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregoryB.

If we quit paying these ridiculous prices then those deep stacks would remain deep stacks. We are creating our own mess. I like to have my fair share stacked up just as well as the next guy but I am not going to sell a kidney just to put box #99 of 250 savage hunting ammo on the shelf because someone else will buy it if I don't

lampern

If we quit paying these ridiculous prices then those deep stacks would remain deep stacks. We are creating our own mess. I like to have my fair share stacked up just as well as the next guy but I am not going to sell a kidney just to put box #99 of 250 savage hunting ammo on the shelf because someone else will buy it if I don't

Ammunition is never going to get easier to buy or use.

You might make a few bucks now selling it before selling it gets outlawed.

People who buy ammo just to resell it at a profit are called 'neckbeards'

Last edited:

bullgator

At this point I’m not pointing fingers at anyone. Mainly I would’t know exactly who to point them at. I understand supply and demand. I understand capitalism. I also acknowledge that there is an element of greed also in the mix. Those that are buying primers at inflated prices ($300/1000) are hedging that prices won’t be going down in the foreseeable future, or just really need them bad now. Those that aren’t jumping into the panic prices, yet, are either sufficiently stocked for the time being, and/or putting their money on prices correcting within an acceptable time frame. My point is, that those who are responsible for the unnecessary spike in price may be doing more harm in the long run than they realize for the sake of making a few bucks now. If ammo and components stay overpriced the cause and effect could be devastating in the long run. No ammo=fewer gun sales=less shooting=ranges closing=gun shops closing= future prices staying high or getting higher. All that leads to a negative effect on the industry and us consumers.

GregoryB.

On the bright side there are a lot of old guns that people have been hoarding that are on the market now. I just sold 3 safe queens my self because I have my eye on a couple of new to me Ruger #1's. Some of mine were unfired and had been in the safe for years.

bluemarlin

Your late.......it’s been happening since last summer, and getting worse.

Naw dog.. I'm not late but I still like to buy Hornady ammo for a few rifles then reuse the brass. I'm speaking for the mass of people sick of the shortage and implying that the reloading component availability is going to be worse than finding a box of your fav ammo.

Buckle up cowboys... Errrrr body is going to start reloading.

bullgator

Naw dog.. I'm not late but I still like to buy Hornady ammo for a few rifles then reuse the brass. I'm speaking for the mass of people sick of the shortage and implying that the reloading component availability is going to be worse than finding a box of your fav ammo.

Buckle up cowboys... Errrrr body is going to start reloading.
Reloading components have been getting scarce since last summer. That’s why primers are $300 for a thousand on Gunbroker.

rosewood

My friend would...he loads commercially...he could used 6 cases of any kind of primer right now
Yeah, but he ain't selling it.

rosewood

Those that are buying primers at inflated prices ($300/1000) are hedging that prices won’t be going down in the foreseeable future, or just really need them bad now.

I think those paying the inflated prices are a lot of the new reloaders and new gun owners. They didn't know what those things are supposed to cost and so they pay whatever is stamped on them. That is the "normal" price for them. The rest of us turn and walk away because we have never had to pay that price before.

Rosewood

Doog

I understand supply and demand. I understand capitalism. I also acknowledge that there is an element of greed also in the mix. Those that are buying primers at inflated prices ($300/1000) are hedging that prices won’t be going down in the foreseeable future...

This has all the markers of a classic demand bubble. A couple new external influences. somewhat niche market which means people can game the system a bit. highly specialized, regulated supply chains that can't keep up with the demand swing in the short run. However, demand bubbles eventually pop sending prices crashing down. It happened eventually after the Obama administration spike, correct?

The Canada details are interesting though. The ammo manufacturers are all out telling their story. I would like Bass Pro management to explain why CA stores have unprecedented supply of ammo and components they rarely see at prices they rarely see, if that is in fact true. "Long term contracts" would not explain new products in the market...

Rich M

I think it is more about having it now.

$0.30/primer is gonna jack up the bullet price a bit and even the newer folks knew that $50/box (of ammo) was not normal.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
No ammo=fewer gun sales=less shooting=ranges closing=gun shops closing= future prices staying high or getting higher. All that leads to a negative effect on the industry and us consumers.

that may be the plan...there is more than one front to attack...don't mean to move this to the political side.

Yeah, but he ain't selling it.

sure he does...but it is in loaded ammo. It just drives the price up he gets for what he loads. Brass and bullets are starting to get harder for him to find now and has even had to buy new brass to load CM and 7mm-08. That alone drives up the price $5 a box.

rosewood

I think it is more about having it now.

$0.30/primer is gonna jack up the bullet price a bit and even the newer folks knew that $50/box was not normal.
That .30 cent a primer is what the scalpers are charging. I bet that isn't what the ammo companies are paying. Just about 4 weeks ago I picked up 3 boxes of CCI large rifle primers from Academy for $49.99 per 1000, that is .05 cents per primer. That is almost exactly what Academy was charging for them 2 years ago. So I suspect they are paying the same prices for them they did back then.

Rosewood

Last edited:

Rich M

Primers should cost pennies each. Last time I bought at Bass Pro it was $40/1000.

I meant $50/box of bullets not being normal. $40-$50 for box of primers was normal. Gonna fix it in post.

rosewood

Primers should cost pennies each. Last time I bought at Bass Pro it was $40/1000.

I meant $50/box of bullets not being normal. $40-$50 for box of primers was normal. Gonna fix it in post.
Yeah, they were 1.8cent per before Obama. Then settled around 3.5-4 cent for years. But Academy was always a bit high on primers. Only time I bought from there in the past was because they had Federal SP in stock and no one else did. Most other places I could get 1k for about $35.

Rosewood

Wifeshusband

In 2019 I gave a friend of mine's son 5 boxes of .243 American Whitetail.
He just sold it on the internet for $150 a box! It cost me about $19 a box in 2018.
I have a friend who has connections to the industry. He says the shortage will extend into 2022. I would not buy a gun now if you don't already have ammo for it.

GregoryB.

I buy guns due to wants not needs. I have had several guns that I purchased and put in the safe for years without having any ammo for them. Ammo crisis doesn't effect my gun buying other than they cost me a few more dollars now days.

Jester896

Senior Clown
That .30 cent a primer is what the scalpers are charging. I bet that isn't what the ammo companies are paying. Just about 4 weeks ago I picked up 3 boxes of CCI large rifle primers from Academy for $49.99 per 1000, that is .05 cents per primer. That is almost exactly what Academy was charging for them 2 years ago. So I suspect they are paying the same prices for them they did back then.

Rosewood

before this started he was paying $28-30 per K wholesale and during this he has paid $100 a K many times to keep up with his regular customers demands and some from several new ones. One new customer just got 40K 9mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.