Average Distance

cohutta joe

From those who spot and stalk in the North GA mountains, what would you think is your average shot distance on hogs? I sold my 308 last summer, and am thinking of trying a pump 20 gauge with slugs, next, but that limits distance to around 70 yards, I think. Is that enough for our mountains?

Doug B.

70 yard is most likely way farther than you should expect for a hog in my experience. I did shoot one around 60 or 70 yards once but that is not the norm for where I hunt in the mountains.

cohutta joe

Thanks, Doug, kinda what I was thinking. I only started hog hunting last year, and got 1 big sow, on the Jigger Creek trail in the Cohuttas, by sitting behind a tree upwind from a recent activity spot in the roadbed. It was probably 40 yards. I had a 308 with scope, then, but it was a hard summer and I sold it. I am trying to decide whether or not a 20 gauge could serve as an all purpose, in these mountains, now. I like to hunt small game, as well, but my shoulder can't take much 12 slugs, anymore, and I can only afford 1 gun, now. Funny how everything was going so good for me a couple years ago, and, deciding to teach my 3 grandsons to hunt, I bought 10 guns within a year. But 6 of them were for the grandsons, a rifle and shotgun each, and since then I've gotten out of work, applied for disability, but not coming, and sold 3 of my 4 guns; kept the 9mm. But I'm not ready to give up hunting. I think I can make a 20 work, if I don't shoot it a lot, lol. So I'm looking at a mossberg 500, if that extra 1400 ever comes. I just want to enjoy the best of what options I still have, and the thought of hunting makes me want to walk away the groans.
70 yard is most likely way farther than you should expect for a hog in my experience. I did shoot one around 60 or 70 yards once but that is not the norm for where I hunt in the mountains.

doug.

Last edited:

Mattval

I Have gone to 20 ga for everything except waterfowl. But if this shoulder gets any worse it will be every thing

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive killed a bunch of hogs with a bow while stalking. Most shots 20 yds or less.

If there are several rooting around at the same time. They make alot of noise. If you can keep the wind in your favor. Shouldnt be a problem to get within 40 or so. Slug will wallop them good.

Shot two in the last week with iron sighted .22, one at 15yds one at ~10ft. Play the wind right you could just hit em in the head with a hammer and save money on bullets.