A little heritage

Blackston

My family is from Chatham county and shrimped for years Granddaddy ,Daddy ,Uncle Bud , And Uncle David built a total of 5 shrimp boats in the back yard 4 are still shrimpn One burnt at the mouth of the geeche almost to Hellsgate ... They would build em and pull em over 2 miles to Skidaway boat rampCF3A35C7-DCE4-4A66-9243-FDCF0BF6BC75.png3B03FF1F-20D3-47D6-A826-FF071A1DA9E6.pngDDABDA9C-55B9-4FC9-AFED-AE066F1B5004.pngA83389E0-EAD6-4AB5-8C22-393D11FDE320.pngB76466A2-4F63-41AA-9101-6ACE34DAE1F7.png

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is awesome.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

wvdawg

Staff member
True craftsmen.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator

Blackston

The
What type of wod was used in construction?
The wood in pics is just the “ mold “ they are fiber glass boats pic 2 is the mold ... pic 1 is the glass hull .. Daddy always bragged they had 50 drums of resin in each boat .... they are stout trawlers

Geffellz18

Very cool! Thanks for sharing your family legacy.

My grandfather had a couple of homemade boats as well. His were built for net fishing for mullet. The large one was the Jamie B named after my sister-the oldest grandchild, and the smaller one was the Jimmie Lou named after Grandma.
The family fished commercially and also ran a fish market for many years. The ice business that my dad started is still in operation today.
I enjoyed going out to pull the nets until one trip-my last trip! When grandpa yelled to throw the jugs and we had over 2000ft of net surrounding a large school of Jack Crevalle. To add insult to injury, one of the classic FL pop up thunderstorms came in with vengeance as we were pulling the net in!
To say I was scarred for life with net fishing is a huge understatement!
To this day, I still have a strong dislike for Jacks too!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That is pretty cool , thanks for sharing !

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
If ya look at the picture of em settin the motor , the fellas in denim are welder / pipe fitters I followed that trade they built all the rigging

I guess it was your boat that burnt... just kidding

That's some pretty cool history

Blackston

I guess it was your boat that burnt... just kidding

That's some pretty cool history
No sir , It was my Uncles the white in the pic is the “ insurance boat “....