Tying a little

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Been wrapping a few this afternoon.

Experimenting with some different colors of Bennet's Lunch Money baitfish streamers. Baby Rainbow Trout, Bleeding Shad, and Baby Brown Trout:

lunch-money.jpg

A few Prince and Verlin Deluxe:

verlin-prince.jpg

Some Royal Jim Charley and Hazel Creek:

jim-hazel.jpg

Splitsville Caddis and some Mop Flies:

splitsville.jpg

Charley Whopper and Yellow Palmer:

palmer.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good looking flies. I`ve been tying a few bigger streamers and bait fish for saltwater. Got my new 8wt Friday and need "ammo" for it. Looks like it will be good for bass too.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Good looking flies. I`ve been tying a few bigger streamers and bait fish for saltwater. Got my new 8wt Friday and need "ammo" for it. Looks like it will be good for bass too.

It will be good for bass, particularly larger bass. I enjoy the fight of shoalies on a rod in the 5-7 range.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It will be good for bass, particularly larger bass. I enjoy the fight of shoalies on a rod in the 5-7 range.

I`ve been using my 5-6wt for shoal bass here. I`ve gotten to where I can tie a fair foam body gator flea imitation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve been using my 5-6wt for shoal bass here. I`ve gotten to where I can tie a fair foam body gator flea imitation.
I've got a 9-foot 7wt that I use for smallmouth and throwing big trout streamers. I'd like to try some redfish some time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking batch. I'm heading up Wednesday morning if the creeks aren't blown out.
Today would have been a fine day except for the high water. They're calling for 2"-3" more rain between now and Tuesday.

trout maharishi

Them old hillbilly flies won't catch nothin:ROFLMAO:(y) Would you mind sharing the recipe for that Verlin Delux? I can't quite tell what the rib is?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Them old hillbilly flies won't catch nothin:ROFLMAO:(y) Would you mind sharing the recipe for that Verlin Delux? I can't quite tell what the rib is?
If anybody on earth oughta know what it is, it's you, Steve. :) I bet you know just which Verlin it's named after, too. Verlin Evans was one of the first folks who taught me how to tie flies, sitting around a picnic table at Cataloochee tying by the light of a Coleman lantern. You were probably there. He tied this thing he called his "yaller nymph." It was just some yaller yarn wrapped around a hook with a brown or furnace hackle palmered around it, then clipped down to about 1/16" or so. And it caught fish. I started tying it, and later on, made it a little fancier. It is one of the best all-around nymphs I have ever used, one of my go-tos for the last forty years. Wild fish, stockers, whatever. #10 bottom dredger to #16 dropper, it just flat works. I call it the Verlin Deluxe in honor of Verlin and his yaller nymph that I stole from him and pimped up. One of my favorite flies.

Hook: #10-16. My go-to is a #14 curved-shank like you would tie Stimulators on.
Weight: Black nickel tungsten bead and ten wraps of lead wire sized to the hook size
Tail: Mallard flank dyed yellow
Body: Hareline yellow dubbing
Rib: Brown or furnace hackle palmered and clipped short
Legs/gills: Mallard flank dyed yellow
Thorax: Peacock herl

Tie you some up and try them. I think you'll like them. Verlin will look down and smile. Jack Bradley is probably lookin' on, too. He liked Verlin's yaller nymphs. Pour out a sip for both of them, and Ethan, too.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Man alive...I could take that Baby Brown Trout to the coastal creeks and KILL the fish.

Looks just like a mud minnow.

Very nice stuff, NCH... ?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
That is an afternoon at the bench and they all look good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is an afternoon at the bench and they all look good.
They're sloppy, but I don't take pains with flies I'm tying for my own use. The fish don't care one bit how neat they look. :)

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
They're sloppy, but I don't take pains with flies I'm tying for my own use. The fish don't care one bit how neat they look. :)

If those are sloppy, then mine look like they survived, barely, a hurricane.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If those are sloppy, then mine look like they survived, barely, a hurricane.
The fish probably will hit yours first. :) I've been tying for over 40 years, and used to tie to sell, so I've got a little practice. I can tell that I don't tie enough nowadays, though, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, either.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
The fish probably will hit yours first. :) I've been tying for over 40 years, and used to tie to sell, so I've got a little practice. I can tell that I don't tie enough nowadays, though, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, either.

I am only trying to sell mine to the fish.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ya`lls flies look good. Mine look like a redfin pike used them for a teething ring chew toy. And the more fumble fingered I become, the worse they turn out.

Don`t matter to these bream though. They`ll hit a feather glued to a hook when they`re hungry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ya`lls flies look good. Mine look like a redfin pike used them for a teething ring chew toy. And the more fumble fingered I become, the worse they turn out.

Don`t matter to these bream though. They`ll hit a feather glued to a hook when they`re hungry.
I've noticed that fish usually hit a fly better after it's been chewed on and half destroyed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Oh, and by the way, I've got a couple of your bream flies. They look perfect to me. I need to take them down to the river and introduce them to some redbreasts when it warms up.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Oh, and by the way, I've got a couple of your bream flies. They look perfect to me. I need to take them down to the river and introduce them to some redbreasts when it warms up.

Let me know how they do.

NCMTNHunter

Those look good. The second picture alone accounts for probably 40% of my subsurface catch. If there was a tellico in that picture it would be about 80%.