Are hogs everywhere in GA?

munchie3409

Since I am looking to move to GA in say 16 months, I'm starting to do my research. My primary hunting would involve hunting pigs, so my question is...are pigs concentrated in certain areas in GA, or can pigs be found throughout the state?

I want to buy land where I can actually hunt the pigs on the property that I buy, so I need to narrow down my search as to where we'd want to live in GA. Can you guys give me some counties to research. Are people hunting the pigs from public land and hunting clubs, or do you guys hunt on your own property?

DAVE

You can't count on pigs staying in any one area for long especially when you start killing them. I know everybody is different but I can't imagine you not getting pretty bored killing live stock in short order. Unfortunately you can find places to hunt pigs pretty close to any place in Ga. If you are thinking about selling pig hunts, Some commercial outfits raise the pigs in pens and turn them out for killing when they have a client.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Hogs are not like deer. They will move if enough pressure is put on them. In the mountains they will move into a hollow. Eat all the food and move on to the next one.

Unless you buy a really big piece of property. You will not be able to count on hogs being there all the time.

Gator89

Hogs can be everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

You see their sign, but you rarely see them in a quantity that matches the sign they leave.

Every now and then one, or a sounder of them, will make a mistake.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The short answer is yes, there are hogs all over Georgia.

The longer answer is, most guys I know that actively hunt and kill them do it on large tracts and WMAs, or as targets of opportunity on farm properties.

We do A LOT of riding and walking, and can just about ALWAYS find where they were yesterday..lol.

Sometimes you can drive right up and run em off the road, then get out and put a stalk on and score.

When you find them in an area, you can bait it and keep em around long enough to kill a couple, but they will skedaddle.

Till they make their rounds and come back a day, a week, or a month later.

Pigs are a "make hay while the sun shines" kinda deal.

You gotta get em when you can, and the only folks that have them all the time are raising them to make money off "Canned Hunt" customers...

munchie3409

I'm not planning on doing a guided hunt...the pig hunting would be for me. I'm not planning on buying a lot of land...based on the prices I've seen. I would be looking at 20-60 acres.

Just from reading some of the posts in this forum, it seemed like guys belong to hunt clubs. I suppose those hunt clubs provide more access, but I don't know if I want to hunt with other people. I know that hunting on Ft Stewart was on my radar a few years ago.

I was trying to research now before I become serious about moving to GA. I like that cost of living is much less than where I'm at currently in PA. I live in one of the highest property tax counties in PA and I feel that PA hunting sucks as some of our laws are goofy.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Everywhere in the state? Think we might have em all. SW Ga has it share of feral hogs, many mixed with Russian. Even see a few that appear to be mixed with fat bellied pigs. Key in on the swampy areas of the state, hogs love water, mud and thick cover.

Attachments

• piggys.jpg
    piggys.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 109

munchie3409

Is there any additional city taxes near Atlanta? I know here in PA...our state sales tax is 6%, but if you live in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, there is an additional 2% city tax.

The swampy areas was something I thought would attract them...I suppose it would also attract gators and venomous snakes as well.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Is there any additional city taxes near Atlanta? I know here in PA...our state sales tax is 6%, but if you live in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, there is an additional 2% city tax.

The swampy areas was something I thought would attract them...I suppose it would also attract gators and venomous snakes as well.

You are better off in PA, than anywhere NEAR Atlanta...

And yes, there will be snakes and gators...Consider that a good thing. :bounce:

If you wanna have pigs on a 60 acre parcel, it better back right up to a large timber tract, a WMA, a river, or the Okefenokee Swamp...

munchie3409

I don't want to live near a large city like Atlanta. I'm trying to move away from large populations.

Having land that borders State/National land would be nice, but I know a lot of people that want the same thing, so that probably won't happen.

Doug B.

Key in on the swampy areas of the state, hogs love water, mud and thick cover.
Yes they do love the swampy and muddy areas. But danged if they don't like the mountains up here too! And they certainly have the thick cover in the laurel thickets.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When it warms up in SW Ga, the gators get on the move. Never know where one will show up. The usually walk at night searching for other water sources. For food, or to get away from a bigger bull gator. I walked up on this one. It was traveling from a big sink going west to a pond on our property. Gators don't seem to be hurting the hog populations though

Attachments

• gator.jpg
    gator.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 55

across the river

You aren’t going to find a place of 20 - 60 acres where you can pig hunt all the time, and if you do, it isn't going to be land you will want to live on.

Last edited:
Since I am looking to move to GA in say 16 months, I'm starting to do my research. My primary hunting would involve hunting pigs, so my question is...are pigs concentrated in certain areas in GA, or can pigs be found throughout the state?

I want to buy land where I can actually hunt the pigs on the property that I buy, so I need to narrow down my search as to where we'd want to live in GA. Can you guys give me some counties to research. Are people hunting the pigs from public land and hunting clubs, or do you guys hunt on your own property?

No the population estimates are extremely inflated by dnr to promote their insurance agenda. There are some areas that are densely populated but for the most part I would say that 70 percent of Georgia has nomadic populations and their numbers aren’t what they claim to be.

You’re going to be hard pressed to find a 60 acre tract that you can consistently hunt hogs on. Their travel area is so large you’re only going to see them sporadically once you start shooting. Move to GA by a good 60 acre deer tract and hunt hogs on a WMA.

Doug B.

When it warms up in SW Ga, the gators get on the move. Never know where one will show up. The usually walk at night searching for other water sources. For food, or to get away from a bigger bull gator. I walked up on this one. It was traveling from a big sink going west to a pond on our property. Gators don't seem to be hurting the hog populations though
We don't have gators here in the mountains. Pigs are pretty smart. Do they learn to stay away from the gators? I'm sure they still catch some of them? Must not be too big of a threat to them cause from what I hear there are still a lot of hogs down there.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
No the population estimates are extremely inflated by dnr to promote their insurance agenda. There are some areas that are densely populated but for the most part I would say that 70 percent of Georgia has nomadic populations and their numbers aren’t what they claim to be.

I'm curious about these hog population estimates, I've never seen DNR publish a population estimate on pigs. What do pigs have to do with insurance, you almost never see one hit on the road?