10mm with spp

Steven037

Went to reload some 10mm I shot up and the range today and wasn’t paying a lot of attention I guess. It was some red box federal I picked up for range fun. Got the brass home and working through prep and can’t get the new primers in to seat. Turned the brass over and and hmm these look different. Pull down some other brass I have and yep. Small pistol primer. Luckily and had a 100 pack of spp I picked up for something. Don’t load my other pistol stuff really. Guess I’ll have to sort all my 10mm brass from now on. Stupid Federal. BB84FD17-3E28-46CA-872A-E6755A73C6EB.jpeg4A83A058-C547-465A-9633-F6E301CCEF1D.jpeg

chuckdog

I had 1 piece of .45 Colt brass that was small primer. Had being the keyword.

All none traditional primed brass is scrap to me.

Steven037

I’ve got a few hundred I picked up for range use and I don’t want to loose the brass so I guess I will just keep it separate and try to find some more small pistol primers. I’ve got a lot of brass with lpp but I just can’t bring myself to leave the other brass laying at the range. Oh well. I reloaded 50 with the spp and I’ll see how they do compared to same loads with lpp.

RFWobbly

Personally I'm glad to finally see SPP in 10mm. What a pain to convert over primers for a single caliber.

I'll gladly swap you 1:1 for StarLine LPP.

Last edited:

Nimrod71

News to me. Sounds like they just stretched out some 40 S & W. I knew about 45 ACP in small primer. I would keep them you never know when they may come in handy.

Dub

I had to develop the ha bit of checking Federal 45 acp brass for primer size. But I try to keep both SP and LP on hand.

I saved up enough SP 45 acp and reloaded it.

I will soon begin the task of sorting my .45acp by primer size.

Had to order a freaking lighted bench mounted magnifying glass for the task.

Now I have the fun of doing same for 10mm it would appear.

I am not a fan of this ridiculousness.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I will soon begin the task of sorting my .45acp by primer size.

Had to order a freaking lighted bench mounted magnifying glass for the task.

Now I have the fun of doing same for 10mm it would appear.

I am not a fan of this ridiculousness.
Dumb question from an experienced reloader.
is lg pistol and lg rifle PRIMERS the same size.
If so what if interchanged.

Dub

I’m not certain....gonna assume the rifle primers are constructed more stout than pistol primers. Just an assumption on my part.

The sorting I was referring to is among 45acp brass....as there are cases made with spp & lpp.

OP has discovered same with 10mm.

I do occasionally see handgun cartridges that crossover into using rifle primers as well. For example, Vihtavouri publishes loads for .38Super using srp.

Gator89

Diameter, yes. However large rifle brass has a deeper primer pocket. A large rifle primer will be "proud" if pressed into large pistol brass.

SP and SR rifles are the same diameter and height, thus some folks use SR primers in handgun ammo.

rosewood

Diameter, yes. However large rifle brass has a deeper primer pocket. A large rifle primer will be "proud" if pressed into large pistol brass.

SP and SR rifles are the same diameter and height, thus some folks use SR primers in handgun ammo.
^this^

rosewood

I have never seen SPP 10mm brass. That is a new one on me. I will have to keep my eyes peeled in the future when I pick up abandoned range brass.

Although I have heard stories, I have never seen small primer 45 acp either. I have (2) 5 gallon buckets of 45 acp brass, all from 60-80s, all are large pistol. Will never need any additional 45 acp brass in my life.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub