Have the white bass started their run yet?

Anybody hit the Coosa between River Road and Lock and Dam the last few days?
I will be launching out of Brush and motor up to Lock & Dam both Friday and Saturday this weekend. Working my way back down. I will report back Sunday evening.

ryork

I will be launching out of Brush and motor up to Lock & Dam both Friday and Saturday this weekend. Working my way back down. I will report back Sunday evening.

Planning on heading that way in the AM tomorrow. Probably concentrating from a couple miles downstream of the HWY 100 bridge back up to the Lock. May go back Fri depending on how tomorrow goes. If you see a red and white Skeeter Bay boat that will probably be me.

whitebass

Planning on heading that way in the AM tomorrow. Probably concentrating from a couple miles downstream of the HWY 100 bridge back up to the Lock. May go back Fri depending on how tomorrow goes. If you see a red and white Skeeter Bay boat that will probably be me.
good luck!

RamblinWreck

Never fished there but thinking about going. Weekdays are my usual days. Just not sure what ramp to use, or if it is difficult for one person to launch/recover a boat. :huh: I'd love to tag along (in my boat) with someone who is going, and meet at the ramp.

ryork

Never fished there but thinking about going. Weekdays are my usual days. Just not sure what ramp to use, or if it is difficult for one person to launch/recover a boat. :huh: I'd love to tag along (in my boat) with someone who is going, and meet at the ramp.

You mean the Coosa in Rome? I like the Lock and Dam ramp but it can be a challenge to load out as there is a lot of swirling water right there coming off the old dam and around the lock. It’s low right now too so it pays to take it easy backing down and only go in as far as you can get by with. Brushy Branch is an adventure if you don’t know the channel. And River Road is sketchy at best, that’s why I only use Lock and Dam Park. The white bass run up there has been off for me anyways the last three years or so, but hope maybe this year will be different. Sometimes the least little obscure current break will hold tons of fish.

Brushy Branch is much easier to launch for solo fishing because it has slack water. Launching out of the other 2 ramps Lock and Dam and the GA Boat Ramp off 100 is a little more challenging. If they are running the water hard I have found it hard even for a seasoned pro.

I have a group with me on Friday, we should arrive by 6 am at Brushy Branch. I am more than happy to help you launch. I will be in a grey and black Tracker boat with 115 HP ProSX. We'll probably stay out until at least 5 pm before we call it a day.

We usually motor up to the Lock & Dam and just work our way back fishing any creek mouths or breaks in the current that has deep enough water. Little small stream flows will also hold fish.

Last edited:

I'll honk if I see your boat, we will be there Friday and Saturday. My boat is a Tracker 19ft. grey and black with 115 HP Merc. ProXS. Good luck, I hope you get on a good bite.

RamblinWreck

Thanks, guys. I haven't had any experience loading in current, just wind, which sometimes makes me miss the center of the trailer. I put side bunks on, and this has helped a lot. Slack water launch with a rope is no issue; I've got it down pretty good, Lanier, Oconee, 'toona, Clarks Hill are not a problem. It helps my boat is relatively light, a 17' Alweld mod-V with 50 Yamaha.

I guess Brushy Branch is my best option. I've been advised to go slow and stay in the channel to avoid running aground. I have Navionics mapping, but don't know how accurate it is as rivers change all the time.

I do love to explore and fish new places, and especially panfishing.

Thanks, guys. I haven't had any experience loading in current, just wind, which sometimes makes me miss the center of the trailer. I put side bunks on, and this has helped a lot. Slack water launch with a rope is no issue; I've got it down pretty good, Lanier, Oconee, 'toona, Clarks Hill are not a problem. It helps my boat is relatively light, a 17' Alweld mod-V with 50 Yamaha.

I guess Brushy Branch is my best option. I've been advised to go slow and stay in the channel to avoid running aground. I have Navionics mapping, but don't know how accurate it is as rivers change all the time.

I do love to explore and fish new places, and especially panfishing.
Yes, follow the blue dashed lines on your Navionics map when coming out of Brushy. That is all I do and it has worked fine for me from my first time until now. I still do not have the guts to go wide open until I get out into the main river. Sometimes there are just logs floating after some heavy rain. I mainly launch out of Brushy because I worry if I ever have boat motor issues I can at least float back. The run from Brushy to L&D is maybe 20-30 min. drive for me on a 115HP going about 45-50 MPH on GPS. Good luck, maybe we'll see each other on the river this week.

russ1745

I plan to launch Sat afternoon at River Road. 16ft Lowe w/ 25 Yammie. I have kids, so I'm planning for them to use popping corks with 1/8oz VMC Mooneyes with Berkley Power Bait Ribbontail Grubs in Fire Tiger. Kids caught over 200 on this rig two years ago, hitting the creek mouths and any interruptions in the creek bank. Last year the rain threw everything out of whack. I'll be throwing a Bettle Spin in various colors as a search bait for starters. If they're there, you'll know it quickly.

campboy

Anxiously awaiting your report from today

whitebass

I plan to launch Sat afternoon at River Road. 16ft Lowe w/ 25 Yammie. I have kids, so I'm planning for them to use popping corks with 1/8oz VMC Mooneyes with Berkley Power Bait Ribbontail Grubs in Fire Tiger. Kids caught over 200 on this rig two years ago, hitting the creek mouths and any interruptions in the creek bank. Last year the rain threw everything out of whack. I'll be throwing a Bettle Spin in various colors as a search bait for starters. If they're there, you'll know it quickly.
Can definitely attest to this. Went last year when the gage height was around 18 feet, and caught about 5. Hopefully, this year will be better, with the warm weather and lower water levels.