Hog control

sleepr71

Well, that’s a tiny start?. Imagine now is still a good time to trap them as they havent planted row crops yet and the only thing that’s out there in abundance is whatever we put out in feeders and food plots.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Have taken well over 200 off of 1000 acres in two years. Learned a lot about trapping. Coons and birds will eat the bait up before a hog will show. Those shoats posted were caught in a large trap with no corn, no bait seen. To beat the coons and birds, I've gone to pouring a cheap syrup in a hole past the trigger. Rain helps get that sweet smell through out a large area in the trap. Hogs can't resist that smell, along with a little diesel sprayed on the trigger notched stick. Have caught as many as seven in a trap made in a circle with two cattle panels. We shoot every one we see too. I killed 28 during the last deer season. Here are a few photos from the last couple years.

Attachments

• bucket full.jpg
    bucket full.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 18671739_10207168596253016_9117513801888017896_o.jpg
    18671739_10207168596253016_9117513801888017896_o.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 58
  • hogs .jpg
    hogs .jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Jace.jpg
    Jace.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 58
  • relocated hog trap.jpg
    relocated hog trap.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Jace the ace.jpg
    Jace the ace.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Bar340.jpg
    Bar340.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Dec2018.jpg
    Dec2018.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 53

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Last hog shot was in Jan, slipped up on a large sow in a bed with pigs. She jumped up and began chomping at me. That didn't last long.

sleepr71

Good job! I’d get some used Chain Link fence & put it around the bottom 2’ of those traps. I bet you are loosing a lot of little ones out of those 6” squares! If they can ever get their head through an opening...they are out of there! In a few months..that 10-15lb Shoat will be breeding & adding to the population?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good job! I’d get some used Chain Link fence & put it around the bottom 2’ of those traps. I bet you are loosing a lot of little ones out of those 6” squares! If they can ever get their head through an opening...they are out of there! In a few months..that 10-15lb Shoat will be breeding & adding to the population?
Yes, small pigs can get out of the large trap. Next trap will be using hog panels.

Mac

Good job,
I am in a club in Monroe county and the pigs are getting out of control.
I have been looking at doing some trapping. Thanks for the tip on the syrup, instead of corn bait.

davel

Have taken well over 200 off of 1000 acres in two years. Learned a lot about trapping. Coons and birds will eat the bait up before a hog will show. Those shoats posted were caught in a large trap with no corn, no bait seen. To beat the coons and birds, I've gone to pouring a cheap syrup in a hole past the trigger. Rain helps get that sweet smell through out a large area in the trap. Hogs can't resist that smell, along with a little diesel sprayed on the trigger notched stick. Have caught as many as seven in a trap made in a circle with two cattle panels. We shoot every one we see too. I killed 28 during the last deer season. Here are a few photos from the last couple years.
Can you PM me the "cheap syrup" you use? Unless it is a secret recipe!

davel

Nice! You got some big ones there!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
340 pounds

Attachments

• BigBar2.jpg
    BigBar2.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 21

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No secret on the syrup. Any cheap corn syrup works. If you eat sardines or tuna fish. Save that oil to pour in the trap along with the syrup.

Attachments

• Dec112016bighog.jpg
    Dec112016bighog.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 10