What is the one "newer" Cartridge that you thought was cool but did not quite catch on?

243SuperRC

Had never heard of that one. Article I found says it’s a stretched high pressure 9mm. Looks like the case has thicker walls/web? similar to a 45 Super. Sounds like a fun pistol cartridge.

pacecars

I am kinda surprised that the new fangled smokeless powder never really caught on. Guess I will keep shooting my .50-90 and .45-70 and the rest of the BPCRs

Darien1

That Marlin 308 Express is an awesome cartridge. A deer slayer for sure. If Marlin hadn't of been sold to Remington and Remington screwed up the entire Marlin line it would have been a solid winner. Hopefully, Ruger will right that wrong and bring it out again.

Mattval

Early 2000’s ”Short Magnums“ were the rage. Found a Winchester M70 Coyote in 300 WSM at the Sports Center in Perry that I had to have. It had a SS light varmint barrel and laminated stock. It worked great hunting from a box stand looking down a long right-a-way in planted pines. It was my primary deer rifle for 6 or more years. The only negative was the weight of the rifle, probably close to 10 lbs with a scope.

Several years ago, a good friend had a Remington M673 in 6.5 Rem Mag that he was going to let go. I already had his dies and components in my possession for reloading his rifle. I didn’t need another deer rifle, but I had always liked the looks and feel of the M673. I ended up selling my M70 Coyote to make room for the M673. I have had no regrets, love the M673 in 6.5 Rem Mag.
Dude I forget all about the 6.5 Rem Mag! That is another great one. Way before it's time. I am surprised that is has not gained a resurgence during this whole 6.5 craze.

NCMTNHunter

8mm Rem Mag. Great cartridge, my brother has a Rem 700 in that caliber. It came about just a little too early for the metric designation to catch on.

I load for it, or used to. It's a hoot to shoot.

^ This. The super magnum before super magnums were cool. Pretty much everything I like goes by the wayside.

.338-06
35 Whelen
.338 RCM
350 Remington Magnum

Mattval

^ This. The super magnum before super magnums were cool. Pretty much everything I like goes by the wayside.

.338-06
35 Whelen
.338 RCM
350 Remington Magnum
I like all of those!

Mattval

I do not know why 338-06 is not more popular! Recoils less than a 338 win mag. Good all around ballistics

GunnSmokeer

I have't been paying attention to "new" (last 30 years) rifle calibers.
But among pistol rounds, I thought the .50 GI would be a hit among the 1911 lovers who swear by "big, heavy" bullets and were OK with modest velocities.

I personally love the idea of the .32 H&R magnum and the .327 Federal mag, but I knew they would not be commercially successful when so few firearms were chambered for them, and the gun companies relied on long established firearms writers and reviewer's to promote the cartridge which of course they wouldn't endorse wholeheartedly .

FootLongDawg

I bought a Browning stainless 243 WSSM when the caliber first came out I still really like it, it shoots MOA, but I don't really know if it really caught on with the buying public.

Dub

.270 Win

.308 Win

.30'06

Such a shame that they didn't catch on.

They sure could have covered a wide performance range and a pile of rifles would gobble them up.

Too bad. ::gone:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was in the safe this morning pulling out the ones in my way to get to the ones I wanted to take to the range......and noticed that other than a few in .223/5.56 and a lone .45'70.......all other centerfires were chambered in those three listed above......yet I don't feel undergunned nor overgunned.

I do feel that I'm "undersafed". Not that I have a pile of guns....it's just impossible to open and grab what I want without having to move others out of the way. :banginghe

One of these days I'm gonna remedy that matter.

Geffellz18

Exactly what you said....The 338 marlin express. Was determined that was the next rifle for me when they were newer.
Pretty good at dragging my feet though since I didn’t have a definitive purpose for one and now it’s obsolete!
Will just stick with the trusty old standbys!

SC Hunter

@Dub I've found myself having the same problem. I sold an 835 yesterday that I haven't shot in years to make some room in the safe. I'm thinking hard about a 300 win mag in remington's long range configuration. Guy posted it for sale and I'm really pondering it but I'm nervous about buying a rifle that only comes with 2 boxes of ammo right now.

I also have 2 30-06, 2 308's and a 270 and never feel undergunned with those.

GAHUNTER60

Any cartridge ending in SAUM! For a while there you needed to run your ammo purchases through a committe of ballisticians to make sure the short magnum ammo you were purchasing matched the chamber in your short action rifle.

Seriously, it was confusing as heck!