264 Win Mag Build

thumper523

I was thinking of purchasing a good used 300 Win Mag in an A-Bolt or A-Bolt II and have it made into a 264 Win Mag. Or, should I just have someone build me a custom rifle? I would love to have those high B.C. 140 gr bullets screaming at 500 yards.

dtala

depends on yer budget, a custom will cost a good bit more.

I have shot a Win Model 70 264 for near 40 years and it is my favorite deer rifle. Even took it to Zimbabwe Africa in 05'. I load a 125 Nosler Partition hot and it kills like lightning.

Reactions: Dub

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Wait a minute I just bought a custom 300 wm barrel.
are you saying I could but wont rechamber it into a .264?
Seriously?

COYOTE X

I have a 264 Win Mag. on a Remington 700 action. Contact Miles if your interested in building one. It's impressive.
Gibby's Custom Rifles
629 Old Camp Creek Rd
Cornelia, GA 30531
Phone: (706) 778-7847
COYOTE X

rugerfan

I built my 264 on a savage 110 action. Got a 7 mag in a savage 110 e at a pawn shop for around $200 dollars back in 2016. Bought an ER Shaw barrel from a guy on another forum. The rifle shoots 130 grain accubonds into the same hole at a 100 yards. My only complaint is the rifle is heavy. it is a varmint contour barrel, it sits in a hogue full bed block stock. It is a solid 10 to 11 pound rifle. If I were to do it again, I would not get a varmint contour barrel. Haven't taken it hunting yet because of the weight of the rifle, but want to use it. May take it out this year.

I built the rifle on my kitchen table.

Tools I purchased for my build.

Go / No go gauges
Barrel Nut Wrench
Action Wrench

It was a cheap way at the time to get a 264.

chuckdog

Where are you finding hunting bullets for anything .264 now?

My brother in law told me they were next to impossible to find, so I've been looking.

Most anything I've found in stock or backorder allowed are match bullets. I think he's been using a 120gr Barnes for his 6.5 Creedmoor.

I know you may not want to share your supplier with the entire world, but if you have a source that you wouldn't mind sharing with me via PM, my BIL and I would be grateful.

Thanks, Cdog

Nimrod71

Thumper a custom rifle will cost you big time compare to a commercial built rifle. A Savage would be a good one to look at because you can change out the barrels yourself. Barrel life is kind of short on 264 Mag. if you really push them and shoot a lot. However, if you only use it for hunting it would probably last you a long time. As stated above just find a good used Savage magnum and change out the barrel.

rugerfan

Where are you finding hunting bullets for anything .264 now?

My brother in law told me they were next to impossible to find, so I've been looking.

Most anything I've found in stock or backorder allowed are match bullets. I think he's been using a 120gr Barnes for his 6.5 Creedmoor.

I know you may not want to share your supplier with the entire world, but if you have a source that you wouldn't mind sharing with me via PM, my BIL and I would be grateful.

Thanks, Cdog

As far as components, I stocked up on a few things back when I built my rifle. So really don't have a supplier at the moment.

rugerfan

Wait a minute I just bought a custom 300 wm barrel.
are you saying I could but wont rechamber it into a .264?
Seriously?

The 264 and the 300 are made from the same belted magnum case family. So yes you could have gotten a .264 barrel for your action.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The 264 and the 300 are made from the same belted magnum case family. So yes you could have gotten a .264 barrel for your action.
Its an encore so thanks it could be.
The real question is can you ream a 300 win mag to 264.
Im thinking not so. But the other way would work. .264 reamed to .308

thumper523

I love the Browning's action, metal DBM magazine and 60* throw as well. Not a fan of Savage or Rem. Going to use for hunting so no need to worry about barrel burn.
I've got a buddy that reloads 264, I've just got to find some hunting bullets. Looking at the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter or Nosler Accubond.

Jester896

Senior Clown
300 Win Mag has a longer case than the other Win Mags.

I don't have nearly enough 142 ABLR but a few boxes of 129gr ABLR. They are limited production runs from Nosler so they will be even harder to find. I think I also have a box of 130 Berger, some 130TMK and maybe some 120 TTSX and a few 127LRX. That 6.5 stuff is real hard to get and for a while now.

Look at the .26 Nosler while you are looking...think they are a good bit faster than the .264 Win Mag.

rugerfan

300 Win Mag has a longer case than the other Win Mags.

I don't have nearly enough 142 ABLR but a few boxes of 129gr ABLR. They are limited production runs from Nosler so they will be even harder to find. I think I also have a box of 130 Berger, some 130TMK and maybe some 120 TTSX and a few 127LRX. That 6.5 stuff is real hard to get and for a while now.

Look at the .26 Nosler while you are looking...think they are a good bit faster than the .264 Win Mag.

Yes, I did forget to mention the case length on the 300 is longer, but the base is the same.
I will have to give the 26 nosler a nod as well.

I bought a 6.5-300 wby in a vanguard, it is a fire breather too, but am coming to the conclusion that it may be to expensive to feed.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I bought a 6.5-300 wby in a vanguard, it is a fire breather too, but am coming to the conclusion that it may be to expensive to feed.

think that is even more of an overbore than mine :D bump it up to 7...them thangs shoot good