Advice on Re-barrel Rem 700 30-06

I am planning for a new barrel on a older Rem 700 30-06 (1969-1970) manufacture. Sending action and barrel to Shaw. I will need a smith to install the barrel and action. Any recommendations for this work will be appreciated. I included the work Shaw will do and pricing from Shaw's site. Thanks for your input.
416R stainless Barrel-$315, straight flute-$135, matte finish-$90, receiver truing, head spacing, test fire-$135, lap lugs-$90 and .250" recoil lug-$60 (if needed?)

nmurph

How many rounds down the current tube?
What contour barrel?
What round are you going with?
Is the stock bedded?
Does it have an aftermarket stock?
I'm confused bc you say you are sending the action and barrel to Shaw (to install a Shaw barrel?)?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am a little too since you said "Sending action and barrel to Shaw"

then you include pricing for head spacing and test firing. what...will they then disassemble it and return it to you?

How many rounds down the current tube?
What contour barrel?
What round are you going with?
Is the stock bedded?
Does it have an aftermarket stock?
I'm confused bc you say you are sending the action and barrel to Shaw (to install a Shaw barrel?)?
It has a Boyd Thumb hole stock, keeping the caliber 30-06, Remington contour next size heavier barrel, Shaw will assemble test fire and return to me. Then I need someone to fit the stock to the assembly.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the barrel channel will need to be opened up from the sporter contour and bedded if it hasn't already been. Various sized deep sockets could be used with sandpaper. I have one of their thumbhole ADL stocks on my rescued .270 in Nutmeg.

Ray357

AWOL
I am planning for a new barrel on a older Rem 700 30-06 (1969-1970) manufacture. Sending action and barrel to Shaw. I will need a smith to install the barrel and action. Any recommendations for this work will be appreciated. I included the work Shaw will do and pricing from Shaw's site. Thanks for your input.
416R stainless Barrel-$315, straight flute-$135, matte finish-$90, receiver truing, head spacing, test fire-$135, lap lugs-$90 and .250" recoil lug-$60 (if needed?)
For what you gonna be paying Shaw, you could get a good barrel put on.

rayjay

the barrel channel will need to be opened up from the sporter contour and bedded if it hasn't already been. Various sized deep sockets could be used with sandpaper. I have one of their thumbhole ADL stocks on my rescued .270 in Nutmeg.
This is all you need. This type of project is a great way to get your feet wet in rifle building. I use a simple oil burning wick "lamp" to soot up the action and bbl, set the bbled action in the stock and then lift out and see where you have soot transfer. then what ever socket is suitable wrapped in coarse sandpaper. The main thing you need is patience. oil burning candle.jpg

rayjay

The "lap lugs-$90..." should be part of the receiver truing unless they really mean they are going to cut the lugs and then lap which will probably mean the bolt handle will need to be moved forward to correct the primary extraction.

rayjay

Plan Zebra - Prefit bbl using a custom bbl nut similar to the Savage 10/110 idea. Conceivably you could install the bbl yourself by purchasing or renting the tools needed. I got my start swapping out Savage bbls. I do have a Remington with the bbl nut that PacNor sells. This is a rimfire but the idea is the same.

ETA, a matched bbl nut / bbl combo would not have this huge mismatch. This is a rimfire competition rifle that needs a straight bbl to shoot the best.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-remington-remage/

40x bbl nut.JPG