Gransfors Bruk Axe...

Tight Lines

This may not be the best spot for this...admins feel free to move it if not...

Buy once, cry once. Or as my Dad would say to us growing up, it's cheaper in the long run if you buy quality that will last. He despised tools that would not do their job, broke, and had to be replaced. Throwing money away he'd say...and he was right.

As I've gotten older, and come to understand the cost of manufacturing and the resources it takes, I've become much more interested in hand made products that I can pass down to my kids.

In this world of Amazon Prime throw away products, and big boxes driving down cost to sell more, it is nice to see smaller manufacturers focused on the quality and responsibility of sustainability and conservation. Many companies "tell" you that they are responsible, sustainable, and behave ethically...but you really need to dig in to see what proof there is of that. Read the page from the book I posted below.

This is a Swedish axe from Gransfors Bruk that is hand made and guaranteed for 20 years, but will last a lifetime. Everyone should read The Axe Book and learn to be proficient with an axe...whether you have a need or not...I chose this particular axe for versatility for camping, hunting, or other outdoor pursuits...here is a little about the guy that helped design it:

"Lars Fält, who worked with Gränsfors Bruk to design the Gränsfors Outdoor Axe, established the Swedish Armed Forces Survival School and has trained the Swedish Army Ranger Battalion for 35 years at the Ranger School and Parachute Ranger School. He has also written 10 books on survival and outdoor pursuits."

Basically, he is the real deal and a serious bad, you know...

So many of these tools and the skills associated with them are being lost in this real-time social media low-cost high volume world...I've always loved working with my hands and want to pass that along to my kids...

I'm planning to teach my kids how to use this, and someday give it to them...

BTW, the axe head is stamped with the initials of the maker...mine was made by Joakim Iversen Bryant...how cool is that? Do you have ANYTHING where you know the name of the maker? Not the manufacturer, but the actual guy? Think about the pride that went along with that stamp...
IMG_2109.JPGIMG_2110.JPGIMG_2111.JPGIMG_2113.JPGIMG_2114.JPG

frankwright

I bought the small axe a few years ago and donated it to a bowhunting auction . It was sweet and I always said I was going to get another for me!

Jester896

Senior Clown
Is that their maul axe or Outdoors?

Nicest thing I have picked up recently is an Ontario Survival Machete. One of their Outdoors axes wouldn't be a bad addition for me or even a mini for that matter.

Tight Lines

Nicest thing I have picked up recently is an Ontario Survival Machete. One of their Outdoors axes wouldn't be a bad addition for me or even a mini for that matter.
This is called the Outdoor axe...small enough for my backpack and to fit in my tool bag on the SxS but long enough to do light splitting

Tight Lines

Said another way, this is a very small and light axe, and a large hatchet...it is perfect for short backpacking trips and camp kitchens...

Reactions: Dub

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Those among the finest axes in the world. To answer your question in the last paragraph of the original post, yes, I have knives, tomahawks, and leatherwork from Friends. Looking at their work, you can tell that they take great pride in what they turn out. As do I in owning their craftsmanship.

Again, those are some very fine axes. I should have gotten a couple of those in my younger days. Unfortunately, I`m too broke down now to use one for serious work. I did break down and make a handle for an old hatchet head to turn it into a camp axe a few years back.

camp ax.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those are great axes. Some of the best out there.

Tight Lines

@Nicodemus Good point I guess I do have a few hand made knives...I've given them to my Dad though...I'll get them back some day...hopefully not too soon...

@NCHillbilly thanks, I've never owned a "good" axe...I've had small cheap ones that cost a lot less, my wife and kids got me this one for Christmas/Birthday...