Handgun recommendation for bear defense...

Mexican Squealer

Heading to Alaska for 14 days of hunting and fishing at the end of July. This is a diy trip that will be in an area with a bunch of brown bears. I’ll have my rifle when I’m hunting but looking for a lightweight option to carry when I’m fishing. Thanks!

Reactions: Dub

ryanh487

Glock model 40 in 10MM or a 4"-5.5" double action 44 mag would be my options. The Glock 40 would be a good pig and deer gun back home, too. Both would be about the same price and the Glock will have higher capacity, with loads available nearing 44 mag velocities and weight while being a little lighter than a double action revolver. plus the glock will stand up to the elements better and has several chest rig and drop leg holsters available. I've found the drop leg holster is much more comfortable for long walks and drawing from seated, and a chest rig would probably be a better weight balance for long hikes regardless of the gun toted in it.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Make sure your partner has one too. Bear guns are to protect your buddy. If a brown bear zeros in on you, you ain’t gonna stop it unless you get lucky with a perfectly placed shot.

That said, when I lived in AK most folks that worked bear areas kept a 12 gauge with slugs in the boat. Or a 44 on their chest.

bullgator

S&W 69 is a 5 shot 44 mag built on the L-frame. It’s reasonably light weight compared to most 44 mags. Mine is the 4.25” and rides comfortably on a belt holster. I’m planning on taking it on our Yellowstone vacation this summer.

bullgator

Oh!, when your not in big bear country, the 69 is pure fun with stout 44 specials.

Newt2

A friend of mine says a six shot is enough. 5 for the bear, one for him.

Seriously, whatever you chose. make sure you have heavy bullets to penetrate. My personal choice is the .41 magnum with 220 grain Keith type semi-wadcutters. For light weight, the Charter Arms .41 Mag pug.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
A friend of mine says a six shot is enough. 5 for the bear, one for him.

Seriously, whatever you chose. make sure you have heavy bullets to penetrate. My personal choice is the .41 magnum with 220 grain Keith type semi-wadcutters. For light weight, the Charter Arms .41 Mag pug.
41 Action Express comes to mind for those itchin for somthin different than yo buddy.

menhadenman

That was a good read. Don't know if i would want to try with 9mm.
Some guys out west carry the 9 with hard cast bullets, thought being more shots that you can place well could be a better choice than a six shooter that you can’t hit a thing with. But you’re right, a 9 just don’t sound quite right!

Mexican Squealer

Some guys out west carry the 9 with hard cast bullets, thought being more shots that you can place well could be a better choice than a six shooter that you can’t hit a thing with. But you’re right, a 9 just don’t sound quite right!

Right! I I’ve got several 9’s and shoot them well...never had any “big” calibers other than a big heavy .44 I used to hog hunt with. Seems like light weight and heavy hitting might not be the best recipe for me hitting my target in a high stress situation...all I know is the outhouse is 100 yards behind the cabin.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The 41 AE had the power of the 9mm/40SW. just a bigger caliber. You want power, go with a magnum revolver cartridge. Even the 10mm can't compete with the 357 magnum.
:biggrin2: I reload and shoot those calibers so I’m not believing any of that.