Best Dog

Blackston

FB2B2A78-9F94-45EB-A7DC-F21BF7E4CA88.jpegThe best breed thread got me thinking ? about Bonnie . I got taken hog hunting with my cousin and after one outing I was hooked!!! So I went and bought a catahoula pup for 100$ . I took her home and began to “ train “ her ( more or less sicking her on feral cats at local boat ramp ) . By 5mos old she could put a cat in a hole or up a tree just about every time . So I took her to a pen to show her a hog , she caught it through the wire and pulled its ear off ( I didn’t get invited back ) I acquired a shoat and started turning it out and letting her find him ( he didn’t last long .... So I borrowed a old catch dog and me my 9 month old pup went hunting.... we caught big Nasty first time out ... Bonnie could do it She found a lot of Hogs for me and trained a bunch of pups , I fell on hard times and sold her to a Great friend for 1000$ ( he told me he’d buy 10 more ) Bonnie lived to be 10 and her Kidneys shut down ( I often wonder if to much IVOmec did it ) .... But I wrote all this to ask the question..... Who was that 1 DOG for you ?

Good lookin dog. I’d have to say its a hard decision for me but overall I’ll go with this 1 never trained him in a pin or anything due to not having places to work him in a pin but he will ride on a truck all night or u can walk hunt him he doesn’t have any k9s I think it’s a birth defect. But he will hold 1 and have caught a lot of hogs with him solo and I’ve had him run a hog for 3 hours and toned him off of it . Not a long time compared to hounds but not bad for a bulldog I have put him on a track and caught the hog as and far as being versatile and well mannered with other dogs never had to worry bout him fighting when I hunt with new dogs And for me the main reason a dog stands out is going beyond what a typical dog of that breed does.

Attachments

• 3D476350-FFCE-42BB-912E-488D7C44172C.jpeg
    3D476350-FFCE-42BB-912E-488D7C44172C.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 24

sghoghunter

Ole Sam was by far the best hog dog I had the pleasure of raising. He was born to be a natural hog dog with no training except being turned out with his mama. I’ve spent many hours waiting on him to quit hunting so we could go home. We caught a pile of hogs with him and a bulldog. By the looks of him in the one pic you’d swear Frankenstein sewed him together

Attachments

• F7E87F6B-A945-4F97-A155-B08E7EF6CE51.png
    F7E87F6B-A945-4F97-A155-B08E7EF6CE51.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 6C0A2F91-249B-4975-845C-00FE8F20EB73.png
    6C0A2F91-249B-4975-845C-00FE8F20EB73.png
    583.3 KB · Views: 46

Blackston

Ole Sam was by far the best hog dog I had the pleasure of raising. He was born to be a natural hog dog with no training except being turned out with his mama. I’ve spent many hours waiting on him to quit hunting so we could go home. We caught a pile of hogs with him and a bulldog. By the looks of him in the one pic you’d swear Frankenstein sewed him together
That old boy , been on a few !!! Ol Bonnie was the kind of Dog that a hog had to make her bay him .... Sam looks like he was pretty Rough as well !! I love Dogs that earn a seat in the front of the truck !!

catchdogs

Amos was the best one I ever had . Campbell dog from Gary . He needed no help could do it all at 9 months . sadly never produced a pup worth a crap.

Attachments

• C9A51F8F-5067-4D9A-A3B2-3264B5DAFB5E.jpeg
    C9A51F8F-5067-4D9A-A3B2-3264B5DAFB5E.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 23

Blackston

Bred Bonnie a bunch .... she threw some dogs people called “ good” .... But nothin like her ... we bred back to her uncle once ... some were too tight some were OK

sghoghunter

Amos was the best one I ever had . Campbell dog from Gary . He needed no help could do it all at 9 months . sadly never produced a pup worth a crap.

Old buddy of mine was good buddy’s with Gary and he had two young dogs of his hunting them one weekend when I was up there. We turned them out that morning and neither one of them acted like they even knew what a hog smelled like. One wouldn’t let us catch him and when the one that would let ya touch him came up he turned around and bit my hand. I’ve heard some good things about them but I’ve heard more bad than good. I’ve got a pink nosed female here at my house that’s mean as all get out that’s out of some of Michelle mears dogs down in Fl

catchdogs

I’ve heard those stories too most dogs i got were young never had any issues with pups I raised . Had one come out fluffy like a setter . He was off Amos and the best pup he threw not a deep hunter but solid dog .

Dbender

I've got a mtn cur female about 18 mos old. 30 lb dog ran loose first year of her life, runs pretty much anything. Quiet and super clean in pen. Doesn't like to tree and I don't hog hunt. Free if anyone is interested. Will bay a hog not gritty enough to catch.

Blackston

Fancy was another goodn .... She wasn’t fast wasn’t fancy but she’d be the one when everything else was convinced there were no hogs around ... we’d all say where’s Fancy ( no Garmin just a beep beep box ) We always knew when we found her she’d be bayin a hog , she’d bay em small or LARGE!!! ( Best built GYP Catahoula I’ve ever seen) F32E20DC-B77D-4B26-B0A7-52FFD73B6F06.jpeg

Best catch dog I ever had was a bulldog named Gator. He probably didn't weigh 40#s but he was game to the core. Huge head and broad shoulders. He was short legged. He'd catch and hold one no matter what.
Best bay dog I had was a little Black Mouth cur that I named Sissy. I was 18 or 19 y/o. Me and a buddy was squirrel hunting in Horse Creek WMA. We got back to my truck and there was another truck parked pretty close behind us. Me and my buddy was just standing there talking, not ready to leave the woods yet.
Before to long we could hear a man crashing through the brush, just a cussin. He got out where we could see him good and he had this pretty little cur on a lead. He was steady cussing that little dog and she was fighting the lead to get away from him. I didn't like what I was seeing but he was an older man (maybe mid 50's) and I was raised to respect my elders so I just shook my head. He got to his truck and pushed that little dog up against the back tire and kicked her hard in the mid section. I said Dang it, man. Not to loud but he heard me. He looked over and said "you got something to say boy?" I said, "yes sir, I bet you by God won't kick me like that."
He said "you're just as soft as she is, you go on ahead and take her sorry butt .". He cut her loose from the lead and she lit out! Took me and my buddy nearly an hour to get her hemmed up and caught. Took a few days to get her to trust me but she sure made a fine little bay dog.

Joe Brandon

Best catch dog I ever had was a bulldog named Gator. He probably didn't weigh 40#s but he was game to the core. Huge head and broad shoulders. He was short legged. He'd catch and hold one no matter what.
Best bay dog I had was a little Black Mouth cur that I named Sissy. I was 18 or 19 y/o. Me and a buddy was squirrel hunting in Horse Creek WMA. We got back to my truck and there was another truck parked pretty close behind us. Me and my buddy was just standing there talking, not ready to leave the woods yet.
Before to long we could hear a man crashing through the brush, just a cussin. He got out where we could see him good and he had this pretty little cur on a lead. He was steady cussing that little dog and she was fighting the lead to get away from him. I didn't like what I was seeing but he was an older man (maybe mid 50's) and I was raised to respect my elders so I just shook my head. He got to his truck and pushed that little dog up against the back tire and kicked her hard in the mid section. I said Da@& it, man. Not to loud but he heard me. He looked over and said "you got something to say boy?" I said, "yes sir, I bet you by God won't kick me like that."
He said "you're just as soft as she is, you go on ahead and take her sorry a<%.". He cut her loose from the lead and she lit out! Took me and my buddy nearly an hour to get her hemmed up and caught. Took a few days to get her to trust me but she sure made a fine little bay dog.
I cannot stand to watch a man harm an animal. Buddy yoou done right and I'm so glad you got that dog! Sounds like the man didnt know how to hunt the dog was just fine.

stonecreek

The guy that started me on hog dogging in the early 80s always had a couple rough help dogs in his pack and didn’t use a lead in catch dog. And that kind of rubbed off on me. Me and Ronnie always had good strike or track dogs. Ronnie with his Campbell Curs and me the Jagds. But they took a lot of punishment in the process. It kind of changed for us when I got Cole 1/2 Catahoula 1/2 pit and Chi Chi 3/4 Dogo 1/4 pit. Got em both as 6 week old pups and didn’t start either in the pack till they were about a year old. They embodied everything you would want in a running catch dog. Extremely fast and the pair together put the breaks on every hog we got. I would estimate they accounted for well over 700 hogs in a five year period. No reverse gear what’s so ever. Also had the ability to wind a hog off the 4 wheeler and run a smoking track on there own. They were the real deal and I miss them everyday.C9CEF616-8BF7-4071-B752-52A0B12FB45B.jpeg

jbogg

The guy that started me on hog dogging in the early 80s always had a couple rough help dogs in his pack and didn’t use a lead in catch dog. And that kind of rubbed off on me. Me and Ronnie always had good strike or track dogs. Ronnie with his Campbell Curs and me the Jagds. But they took a lot of punishment in the process. It kind of changed for us when I got Cole 1/2 Catahoula 1/2 pit and Chi Chi 3/4 Dogo 1/4 pit. Got em both as 6 week old pups and didn’t start either in the pack till they were about a year old. They embodied everything you would want in a running catch dog. Extremely fast and the pair together put the breaks on every hog we got. I would estimate they accounted for well over 700 hogs in a five year period. No reverse gear what’s so ever. Also had the ability to wind a hog off the 4 wheeler and run a smoking track on there own. They were the real deal and I miss them everyday.View attachment 1087754

That’s a great pic! Good looking dogs.

Blackston

The guy that started me on hog dogging in the early 80s always had a couple rough help dogs in his pack and didn’t use a lead in catch dog. And that kind of rubbed off on me. Me and Ronnie always had good strike or track dogs. Ronnie with his Campbell Curs and me the Jagds. But they took a lot of punishment in the process. It kind of changed for us when I got Cole 1/2 Catahoula 1/2 pit and Chi Chi 3/4 Dogo 1/4 pit. Got em both as 6 week old pups and didn’t start either in the pack till they were about a year old. They embodied everything you would want in a running catch dog. Extremely fast and the pair together put the breaks on every hog we got. I would estimate they accounted for well over 700 hogs in a five year period. No reverse gear what’s so ever. Also had the ability to wind a hog off the 4 wheeler and run a smoking track on there own. They were the real deal and I miss them everyday.View attachment 1087754
That dog on the right looks like a machine....

Blackston

He was! I could write a book on Cole. He had the best eyesight on any dog I have ever owned. He could spot a hog from 300 yards out on a field before anyone else. Very rarely even on a rank hog would he get cut. He would grab an ear and just slide into the side and never let go.View attachment 1088172View attachment 1088173
Good eye sight is usually an overlooked trait ,we had a pit that weighed 50 lbs that you could hold up over the marsh grass , when his ears perked up we’d just drop him , caught hog every time!!!!