Feral Hogs

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
They eat good, look good, can be fun to hunt. But are the most destructible animals in the woods. Hog dog folks have pushed these hogs back into the thickest, most swampy areas in our area. It's keep them off our food plots. Couple of them sows would fit real good in a freezer.

Attachments

• hogsapril2021.jpg
    hogsapril2021.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 69

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Couple, I've taken out over 200 in the last couple years, shooting and trapping. They keep coming, and apparently raise faster than rabbits. Already have a couple guys hunting em, and two traps going. People dogging the farms around us, and think the hogs are winning........lol

sghoghunter

I think you can get shed of them but you will never be rid of them, The nightvisions boys put me out of commission I had a landowner come to me one day and asked if I thought my dogs could catch 23 in one night I told him they would kill there selves trying to do that he said well the night vision can do it I told him there's a lot of deafferents in pulling a trigger and tracking and catching hogs he told me well they were going to try it instead of dogging I thanked him and loaded up. Times are always changing you can change with them or get left behind I don't mind being left behind I like it...guess that's why I'm called Oldways..

Night vision or thermal is no good when the corn is growing,cotton is growing,wheat and oat fields or when you have all woods. I was a dog hunter up till 5 yrs ago and turned into one of them night guys due to the circumstance that got me out of dog hunting. If your trying to kill all the hogs off you need traps,dogs and guns or you’ll just spread them. That’s my catch dog these days

Attachments

• 23BD89C8-1B00-43CA-8592-8CB8A6F33D68.jpeg
    23BD89C8-1B00-43CA-8592-8CB8A6F33D68.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 57
Problem with that is most don’t respect another’s way of helping with the problem but yes if all come together it would work a lot better

I have never met many different styles of hunters willing to help the others with the way they hunt. I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers but I think this to be true. Be hog hunting, deer hunting, or any sport involving a dog with the expectation of birds. Everybody feels there way is best and will have different feelings towards the other folks way. Doggers will say the nightvision guys are killing them all, trappers will say that the doggers are pushing them around it just goes round and round.. just my 2 cents worth hope ya'll have a great day....
I have an honest ? Me being a dog man and not knowing anything about the night vision don’t they just shoot what’s in the fields or no. Not being a smart *** I’m asking a serious ? Because if you have decent dogs they would hunt the woods and find the 1s that don’t venture off. Hogs are smart with any kind of pressure I have had a trap and had hogs that wouldn’t go in it put dogs out at the trap and catch them in the head right behind the trap

sghoghunter

I have never met many different styles of hunters willing to help the others with the way they hunt. I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers but I think this to be true. Be hog hunting, deer hunting, or any sport involving a dog with the expectation of birds. Everybody feels there way is best and will have different feelings towards the other folks way. Doggers will say the nightvision guys are killing them all, trappers will say that the doggers are pushing them around it just goes round and round.. just my 2 cents worth hope ya'll have a great day....

You hit it dead on the head. Doggers hate gun hunters and gun hunters hate doggers BUT if they kinda worked together it would work. I can tell you we use to have what I called a honey hole over in Randolph co a few yrs ago. This place was around 5000 continuous ac’s with a pile of food plots. We caught a lot of hogs at first then we started catching lots of trophy hogs including 3 mountable boars in one morning. The last yr we hunted it there was a guy that ran traps and rode all night shooting at hogs in the plots. We would get there in the morning and that guy wanted to take us around to the places he had shot up all night they never understood why we went from stacking the hogs up to maybe catching one every trip. If he would have just held off the night before we got there every thing would have been calmed down and been close to normal

sghoghunter

I have an honest ? Me being a dog man and not knowing anything about the night vision don’t they just shoot what’s in the fields or no. Not being a smart *** I’m asking a serious ? Because if you have decent dogs they would hunt the woods and find the 1s that don’t venture off. Hogs are smart with any kind of pressure I have had a trap and had hogs that wouldn’t go in it put dogs out at the trap and catch them in the head right behind the trap

The hogs can only be shot out in the open with night vision or thermal or baited up to a spot. Once the crops get tall it’s over at night. In my dogging yrs and my night time shooting now is the same. I will take a small amount of hogs over a pile of hogs any day.

The hogs can only be shot out in the open with night vision or thermal or baited up to a spot. Once the crops get tall it’s over at night. In my dogging yrs and my night time shooting now is the same. I will take a small amount of hogs over a pile of hogs any day.
That’s kinda what I thought just wasn’t sure thanks for the info. My experience up here hasn’t been bad so far I got a couple places I can run my dogs on and they trap and shoot and we just work around each others schedule the landowner will let them shoot 1 weekend then have me the next where I’m from in Florida we don’t have many night vision guys most of us all run dogs or traps or do both

sghoghunter

That’s kinda what I thought just wasn’t sure thanks for the info. My experience up here hasn’t been bad so far I got a couple places I can run my dogs on and they trap and shoot and we just work around each others schedule the landowner will let them shoot 1 weekend then have me the next where I’m from in Florida we don’t have many night vision guys most of us all run dogs or traps or do both

You say your experiences up here hasn’t been bad,do you come up to Ga to hunt? Night hunting is growing real fast but I’d say half the people that gets in loose interest due to no places to shoot or they buy cheap equipment and it don’t work like they thought

You say your experiences up here hasn’t been bad,do you come up to Ga to hunt? Night hunting is growing real fast but I’d say half the people that gets in loose interest due to no places to shoot or they buy cheap equipment and it don’t work like they thought
I just moved up here last year and I’m in south GA I traveled to FL during huntin season to run my dogs

sghoghunter

I just moved up here last year and I’m in south GA I traveled to FL during huntin season to run my dogs

Yeah I live between tifton and Valdosta and it’s hard finding land to hunt on and I’ve been here my whole life. Best place I’d look for a club to run dogs would be down south east around Fargo,statenville or homerville

Yeah I live between tifton and Valdosta and it’s hard finding land to hunt on and I’ve been here my whole life. Best place I’d look for a club to run dogs would be down south east around Fargo,statenville or homerville
talked to several clubs in that area none have opening for running hogs only and your not far from me I don’t think I’m in lake park

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reading all post. Here's what I've noticed from experience. Night shooting is almost over once crops get tall. Dogging moves sounders to the thickest, wettest woods. Trapping gets some now and then, hogs get smart. So it's best to relocate a trap once some have been caught. If you don't it will be a long time before you catch more as a rule. Hogs get nocturnal quick. When hogs travel, they go at it in a trot. I loved dogging em when I was a young fellow, not so as an old fellow. I like the free pork, but even after they are shot or trapped, it's a chore to load up, butcher, process etc.

Attachments

• Gilt Dec 26.jpg
    Gilt Dec 26.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 13

sleepr71

I’m late to the party,but here is what we have learned(the hard way?). Trap first. Catch all you can by trapping. Then go to Baiting/Hunting/Thermal shooting the stragglers. After that is exhausted...then bring in the Dogs to catch(or at least harass) what’s left. You can trap year round,but Winter is best. If trapping is in progress...No shooting/running/harassing the hogs. They need to be relaxed & enjoying the free groceries. I guess this also depends on the size of the property. A few 100 acres & it’s easy to run them off. A few 1000 & what you do on one side won’t affect the other. Each method has its pros & cons. I will say that Hogs really don’t like being ran by dogs in the Summer..and will leave that pressure.!