648 KB · Views: 6
  • 619233FC-4BB1-43AD-A2E9-96A79F1D06D1.jpeg
    619233FC-4BB1-43AD-A2E9-96A79F1D06D1.jpeg
    807.3 KB · Views: 6
  • A9C17EFF-3730-4662-9518-0BD14D44F73B.jpeg
    A9C17EFF-3730-4662-9518-0BD14D44F73B.jpeg
    844.7 KB · Views: 5

goblr77

I hunted in Alabama near Mobile Monday morning and this morning. We had a gobbling bird on the roost Monday unexpectedly shut up well before fly down time. I heard some faint yelping near him on the creek. You could tell it was a poor turkey call not coming from a turkey. Someone bumped the gobbler. The farmer I was with assured me that no one was supposed to be back there. Fast forward to this morning, we sat where we found another bird later Monday. We got in place an hour before daybreak and come daylight, no gobbling. We heard a shot near where we set up Monday. We got up to head that way and a truck was parked right around a road bend from where we were sitting. A guy the landowner let kill a bird there earlier in the season was back and wasn’t supposed to be. There’s no telling how many birds he’s taken off this place knowing the farmer’s son only hunted opening weekend and hasn’t been back since he killed his bird. Leave it up to a deadbeat to ruin a good thing. Unfortunately that winds up my season.

Last edited:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I hate that for ya man. I know a lotta people are tryin to kill turkeys now a days. It makes some areas really crowded.
I started huntin Tenn years ago with friends in the trade who live up in the mountains and hollers. Used to no one up there cared to turkey hunt. Now their family farms are crowded with every one possible. Like you mentioned, even people who arn't supposed to be there! I didn't even go this year cause it was so crowded last year.

goblr77

I hate that for ya man. I know a lotta people are tryin to kill turkeys now a days. It makes some areas really crowded.
I started huntin Tenn years ago with friends in the trade who live up in the mountains and hollers. Used to no one up there cared to turkey hunt. Now their family farms are crowded with every one possible. Like you mentioned, even people who arn't supposed to be there! I didn't even go this year cause it was so crowded last year.

Well, this guy won't have to worry about coming back. The landowner's son was tagging along with me and recognized the truck right away. It ruffled some feathers badly. The guy is a local taxidermist who isn't very well liked because of being a game hog. They gave him the benefit of the doubt and let him take a bird off the place due to his brother working for their family. I guess when the cat's away the mouse will play.

My season isn't over yet though. As soon as my daughter walked in the door last night she hit me up about trying one this weekend. She's been too busy to hunt thus far.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
That sounds fun!
I'm gonna bring my son some more so I can still go. He got one youth weekend so now he's been wanting to go fishing.
But I have a plan to combine the 2 if it works on Saturday. Fishing in camo from the kayaks with his shotgun on board with 300 ft of corps property from shore. I'll have a couple mouth calls in my pocket.
Good luck to you and your daughter and congrats on a successful season

goblr77

My daughter and I found a strutter in a field Friday afternoon. This bird has been hunted quite a bit by multiple people and shot at once already by a neighbor. He knew the drill and walked away from calling...soft calling. We tried moving around to bushwhack him and couldn't get past him quietly due to all the blowdowns and underbrush in the woods. We slipped pretty close, probably 60 yards but that wasn't a good shot for her. I went and listened on another place Saturday morning and didn't hear or see a bird. We hunted yesterday morning behind my house before church. I left a gobbler back there when I killed my third and have several pics of him since. He was nowhere to be found. We had a coyote check out some light trumpet yelping but unfortunately he didn't come into shotgun range. On the bright side, we went to Seminole yesterday afternoon and hammered the big bream. At least the fish were biting.

donblfihu

Went today had him at 30 yards he came in silent after 4 hours calling and chasing him across the mountain. When I saw him he was two steps from a large oak tree he got behind it when he passed behind it I raised the gun he never came out the other side he saw me move and went directly away putting and was gone.