cicada

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Anyone ever tied and tried a cicada fly? If so, how did it work out?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Anyone ever tied and tried a cicada fly? If so, how did it work out?

I think I tied some up several years ago, but I really don't remember what they looked like. I have a dedicated box of BIG bugs that I take out west anytime there's a possibility of hitting the salmon fly hatch. I imagine there are some salmon fly imitations that would make a passable cicada imitation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think I tied some up several years ago, but I really don't remember what they looked like. I have a dedicated box of BIG bugs that I take out west anytime there's a possibility of hitting the salmon fly hatch. I imagine there are some salmon fly imitations that would make a passable cicada imitation.
Or just a big chubby chernobyl or stealth bomber bass bug.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This could be the year.
I know a couple guys who chase these hatches around fly-fishing for carp. Apparently it's the one time that you can catch carp gorging on the surface and catch them on dry flies.

gunnurse

I would think it would go:

Hook- #6 bent shank popper hook
Body- Wapsi black foam tube in medium
Thread- Black 4/0
Wings- Natural pheasant body feather with lower half trimmed
Legs- Dark grey 80# monofilament
Eyes- Red barbell monofilament

Tying- Sculpt the body taper with a pointed craft knife
Run ribs of 4/0 thread to simulate body segment
Cut the wings below the feathers rib to simulate natural taper
Slice a eye slot and super glue the eyes in
Tie in the 80# monofilament (3 pieces) for legs
Big rod for big fish and casting ability (like an 8-weight)

And hold on!

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I know a couple guys who chase these hatches around fly-fishing for carp. Apparently it's the one time that you can catch carp gorging on the surface and catch them on dry flies.

The carp spawn on the Hooch is awesome. And it’ll be here soon. They love some muscadines later on too. Maybe some of you tiers should figure out a muscadine pattern. :bounce:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The carp spawn on the Hooch is awesome. And it’ll be here soon. They love some muscadines later on too. Maybe some of you tiers should figure out a muscadine pattern. :bounce:
Probably look like a oversized purple egg fly.

gunnurse

Easy. Hobby Lobby has plastic grape clusters. Tie one on a hook, instant Capp “fly.”

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Friend of mine said he caught a carp the other day. I’ll ask how he did it again.

Steve Hudson

A timely topic -- and if you're a tyer, here's something you might enjoy: Saturday on The Tying Bench, a free weekly online fly tying clinic presented via Zoom, we'll be tying a great Brood X Cicada imitation!

This easy-to-tie pattern is an excellent imitation of the actual Brood X insects, which appear only once every 17 years. The colors we'll use have been chosen with Brood X in mind. But you can imitate cicadas from other broods simply by modifying the color scheme. It's a versatile pattern that fish love, and I think you will too.

Zoom log-in info and a complete list of the materials you'll need can be found at FlyKits.net.

There is no charge to be a part of The Tying Bench, and all are welcome.