Snake...haven’t seen one like this

Jeetdawg

So, my oldest son called from his truck and said there was a good sized snake in the road near our neighbors. His initial description made me think a copperhead and knowing they have dogs outside, I made a call down to them to check it out and it slithered off under a rock. When he showed me the picture, I never had seen one like this before. Was thinking some coloration of a corn snake?? I’ve learned so much from the answers from @NC Hillbilly and @Nicodemus so I figured I would throw this one out there. Pretty snake for sure

Attachments

• D288BB8F-3DF5-4E61-8869-BF98F5D66B32.jpeg
    D288BB8F-3DF5-4E61-8869-BF98F5D66B32.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

Jeetdawg

Dark colored Corn Snake (Elaphe [Pantherophis] guttata)

That’s where I landed. I have never seen a wild corn snake before and it seemed pretty healthy. The coloration was throwing me but the pattern looked just like a corn snake

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep, that’s a corn snake.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Thank you for the confirmation. I’m light years ahead in knowledge thanks to good folks like you. Appreciate what you do for our GON group
That boy has been educating us for YEARS!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's one I have never seen around my neck of the woods in 53 years.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

The one I posted above was my 1st. Most calm snake I've ever played with. Many die in the name of "I caught a Copperhead"...

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I can only remember seeing about 6 corn snakes. Saw an amazing orange colored one crossing the road on a rainy night several years ago. Most have been similarly colored as the one pictured previously. Gray to grayish brown with rust colored markings.

COYOTE X

Corn Snake. Strangest colored one I've ever seen had colors almost florescent orange. That was 40 years ago and It was coming off Mr. Curtis land near the sand pit in Greene County. It was calm/tame too.
COYOTE X