What is the one "newer" Cartridge that you thought was cool but did not quite catch on?

Dub

Just kidding about the 270. 270 is one of the finest calibers out there. Thought I could get a hearty discussion going.

(y)

When it comes to cartridge predictions.....my crystal ball is broken. I can remember with vivid distinction a buddy and I propping up over the truck bed after working on some pre-season stand set-up & limbing.

We'd discussed some of the stands we'd set up. He asked if I was gonna use my .270 from them.

I told him that I was gonna be toting a "secret weapon" into those tighter stands...a short & light .308 Win that would be loaded with Nosler 180gr BT's. Turns out I was close.....the gun never liked 180's...but did best with 150gr Core Lokts from Wally World....and did good with handloaded 165gr BT's.

He agreed that he would be bringing his '06's as normal and not be worried about a thing.

We laughed about the short magnums that Winchester & Remington were coming out with....along with the super short magnums & short action ultra mag and whatever crazy names they'd use. We agreed they were fads...never gonna last. We agreed that neither of us would never fool with them.

Was funny that we've both gone on to spend hard-earned money on those cartridges that we said would never last. Last time we spoke my buddy was a big fan of his 270WSM rifles. He loved the ballistics.

I've been full circle....coming back to the classics. I'll admit the 270WSM was mighty impressive....but I'm perfectly happy with the boring ole .,308Win, .270Win & .30'06. They will handle what I need.

About the only sporty "new" cartridge that I'd like to dabble with is perhaps one of these days playing around with P.O. Ackley's .280AI. Lot of respect for that 'un.

SC Hunter

(y)

When it comes to cartridge predictions.....my crystal ball is broken. I can remember with vivid distinction a buddy and I propping up over the truck bed after working on some pre-season stand set-up & limbing.

We'd discussed some of the stands we'd set up. He asked if I was gonna use my .270 from them.

I told him that I was gonna be toting a "secret weapon" into those tighter stands...a short & light .308 Win that would be loaded with Nosler 180gr BT's. Turns out I was close.....the gun never liked 180's...but did best with 150gr Core Lokts from Wally World....and did good with handloaded 165gr BT's.

He agreed that he would be bringing his '06's as normal and not be worried about a thing.

We laughed about the short magnums that Winchester & Remington were coming out with....along with the super short magnums & short action ultra mag and whatever crazy names they'd use. We agreed they were fads...never gonna last. We agreed that neither of us would never fool with them.

Was funny that we've both gone on to spend hard-earned money on those cartridges that we said would never last. Last time we spoke my buddy was a big fan of his 270WSM rifles. He loved the ballistics.

I've been full circle....coming back to the classics. I'll admit the 270WSM was mighty impressive....but I'm perfectly happy with the boring ole .,308Win, .270Win & .30'06. They will handle what I need.

About the only sporty "new" cartridge that I'd like to dabble with is perhaps one of these days playing around with P.O. Ackley's .280AI. Lot of respect for that 'un.
When the WSM cartridges came out I had no interest in them. I eventually got interested and have owned several but ending up selling or trading them off for something else. I have also said on this very forum I have no interest in magnum calibers anymore and will stick to the "normals" ie 7mm-08, 243's, 308, 30-06.

I lied....sorry. I'm super interested in a 300 win mag for some reason. I'd even buy a 300 wsm again if I found one I liked for a good price. It's not even that I feel undergunned, I really don't know what it is. Help ? I've been buying rifles for the kids to have later in life 1 could care less about guns and hunting and all about sports while the other 1 loves it. I need a gun neither of them want to shoot so I'll have something to hunt with I guess.

Darien1

My vote would be for the 308 MArlin Express. I love mine and it's very accurate and a proven deer killer out of a lever action rifle. I love the 250 Savage too. I never understood why this cartridge seems to have fallen by the way side. It's a great deer round.

Dub

When the WSM cartridges came out I had no interest in them. I eventually got interested and have owned several but ending up selling or trading them off for something else. I have also said on this very forum I have no interest in magnum calibers anymore and will stick to the "normals" ie 7mm-08, 243's, 308, 30-06.

I lied....sorry. I'm super interested in a 300 win mag for some reason. I'd even buy a 300 wsm again if I found one I liked for a good price. It's not even that I feel undergunned, I really don't know what it is. Help ? I've been buying rifles for the kids to have later in life 1 could care less about guns and hunting and all about sports while the other 1 loves it. I need a gun neither of them want to shoot so I'll have something to hunt with I guess.

300 Win Mag has a certain mojo about it. Almost mystical reputation for inherent accuracy.

I've shot several....most were just off the rack models, yet each seemed to easily find a budget factory load (from Walmart or Academy) it would shoot sub-MOA. All that was required was simply trying 180's & 165's to see.

7 MM WSM...Anyone shooting them

I've never known anyone who used a 7WSM or the 223WSSM.....they never seemed to catch on to folks I've shot with.

Last edited:

chuckdog

I've always been drawn to short action cartridges. The 30-06 and .280 Remington are two standard and the 300 Winchester is the one Belted Magnum that have bucked the norm for me.

Even with its short neck and limiting OAL, I have long said that the 300 Win Mag is my choice for North American big game. I favor .308" caliber bullets

As Dub stated, it's an inherently accurate longer range cartridge. In an appropriately sized platform the recoil is manageable for most folks wanting magnum performance.

Neck sizing and headspacing off the shoulder instead of the belt can open up even better performance.

I no longer own magnum rifles, as long range shooting ain't really available for me. Deer don't require magnum performance at what I consider acceptable ranges, plus while I'm not recoil sensitive the added recoil ain't good for me.

I wanted to like the WSM cartridge family, and I tried very hard to. They just didn't do it for me. Feed issues aside, the platform theory just didn't play well with lighter weight rifles. The longer bullets in short cases didn't allow as much play room as I like either. For me without these things there was no real gain over the 300 Win.

Reactions: Dub

rugerfan

I can't say there have been any new cool calibers that just blow my skirt up. I guess I am just an old fuddy duddy.

Never had an interest in the WSM's or WSSM's
Still don't have any interest in 6.5 Creedmore or the 6.5 PRC.

Not that any of them are all that bad. I just prefer the classic calibers.

Robust Redhorse

I love the .260 Remington. It is still around, but never got traction.
The .260 came out in 1997 and the world yawned. A .308 necked down to a 6.5 mm - I thought that was perfection.

The 6.5 Creedmoor came along in 2007. Nobody cared until about 2017, and now it is considered by almost everyone to be the deadliest cartridge ever invented.

I've have liked the 6.5 mm ever since I saw what my dad could do with a 6.5 Carcano in 1966 and 1969 when he killed two of the biggest bucks in my county with a $25 dollar Italian military surplus rifle. I knew that thing would shoot through anything when I saw a spitzer bullet sticking out of a casing that was nearly as long as the casing. It looked like some kind of harpoon.

Dang, the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is about 130 years old and most people don't even know what it is.

The .264 Winchester Magnum pushes that same bullet a lot faster, and it never caught on.

So, I have a 6.5x55 and 2 - .260 Remingtons, but I got a 6.5 Creedmore last year because I like the 6.5mm bullet have no doubt that factory loads will now be around for 100 years.

Just for the heck of it, a few months ago, I thought I would look into what is considered the best cartridges for elk.

There it was - the 6.5 Creedmore! (You gotta be kidding!)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/12-best-rifle-cartridges-for-elk-hunting/

I like the 6.5 mm a lot, and I know it will kill an elk, but to list it as the first cartridge to consider for elk hunting is just stupid.

furtaker

Yep that .338 Federal is a beast with comparable energy of a 7mag except in a in an efficient short action .308win based cartridge, and does it without the muzzle blast and recoil of the magnum. Much more economical than dumping magnum powder charges and really efficient. Since it shares the bolt head with the .308Win and 30-06 parent cases (while exceeding their energy numbers) it's also a perfect candidate for Savage "kitchen table" barrel swaps. I really thought it would have caught on better than it did.
Old thread I know but the 338 Federal has become interesting to me. I was searching online and it appears that no one even chambers the round any more. Also no factory ammo or brass to be found. Seems like it would be an awesome mid range hunting round but it looks like it's gone completely the way of the dinosaur. Shame.

rosewood

Old thread I know but the 338 Federal has become interesting to me. I was searching online and it appears that no one even chambers the round any more. Also no factory ammo or brass to be found. Seems like it would be an awesome mid range hunting round but it looks like it's gone completely the way of the dinosaur. Shame.
You can rebarrel a Savage 10/110 to the 338. You should be able to make your own brass by running 308 brass through the die. Uses same headspace gauges as the 243win/260/708/308/358.

Rosewood

rosewood

I love the .260 Remington. It is still around, but never got traction.
The .260 came out in 1997 and the world yawned. A .308 necked down to a 6.5 mm - I thought that was perfection.

The 6.5 Creedmoor came along in 2007. Nobody cared until about 2017, and now it is considered by almost everyone to be the deadliest cartridge ever invented.

I've have liked the 6.5 mm ever since I saw what my dad could do with a 6.5 Carcano in 1966 and 1969 when he killed two of the biggest bucks in my county with a $25 dollar Italian military surplus rifle. I knew that thing would shoot through anything when I saw a spitzer bullet sticking out of a casing that was nearly as long as the casing. It looked like some kind of harpoon.

Dang, the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is about 130 years old and most people don't even know what it is.

The .264 Winchester Magnum pushes that same bullet a lot faster, and it never caught on.

So, I have a 6.5x55 and 2 - .260 Remingtons, but I got a 6.5 Creedmore last year because I like the 6.5mm bullet have no doubt that factory loads will now be around for 100 years.

Just for the heck of it, a few months ago, I thought I would look into what is considered the best cartridges for elk.

There it was - the 6.5 Creedmore! (You gotta be kidding!)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/12-best-rifle-cartridges-for-elk-hunting/

I like the 6.5 mm a lot, and I know it will kill an elk, but to list it as the first cartridge to consider for elk hunting is just stupid.
Now you gotta do the next step, get a 6.5 Grendel.

Ha, just realized you have had 3 years to do that since the post. :)

Rosewood

GAHUNTER60

Any of the Ultra Mags: 7mm, .300, .338, and .375. No normal human can shoot one of these behemoths accurately, at least not for very long. However, when they first came out, they were touted as the "must have" calibers of the decade! In fact, they were so deadly (or you would have thought by reading the gun rags), that all you had to do was point your rifle in the general direction of your intended quarry, and the animal would fall dead from hyper shock!

Once the "newness" wore off the cartridges, and once those who fell for the hype and bought one got their neurosurgeon and chiropractor bills for bodily damage caused by the explosive recoil, the hype ended and they faded out of sight faster than they appeared.

Once again proving that bigger is not always better!

Last edited: