Where’s the hog doggers?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It’s amazing we don’t have many hog dog hunters on here. When I was into it I lived for it . Moving and getting away from old hunting friends took me away from it but I sure do miss it . Here’s a few old pictures from back in the day . I was going through a old photo album from back in the day when we actually had pictures developed reminiscing and thought about sharing a few . C7C00C00-D26A-44CE-8DE1-6A5F908F3BB1.jpegE5D7DC32-3227-48BC-88F6-14CB2691A718.jpeg724C2FBF-B17C-4083-A18D-E76E3FA00ED0.jpeg58AD46D9-2977-4C73-BF3C-CC57894700C3.jpegD6B925BC-B72B-4284-89D7-EA28A7EC21F0.jpeg

antharper

Staff member
This one was still alive , was out riding dirt roads drinking beer and seen this one cross the road . Couldn’t leave home without a dog loading up . Didn’t have anything to tie her up with . 9BCC18BF-38A9-4F8C-8BB2-E57B8784C21F.jpeg

sghoghunter

There’s some in here they just hanging out in the shadows. I was the same as you. I hunted every weekend and any night during the week up until my girlfriend had a stroke back in 2016. Since then I’ve been twice and to be honest I miss it but don’t care if I ever go back. I swapped a dog box with dogs for an AR topped with a thermal. This was my first victim with the gun and stalking across a wide open field to within 40 yds in one heck of an adrenaline rush

Attachments

• 985FEB4A-E060-4E4C-8477-CBF412A7BB09.jpeg
    985FEB4A-E060-4E4C-8477-CBF412A7BB09.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 16

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I dogged them in the 60's, it's a young mans sport for sure. Enjoyed every minute of it. Had some fine dogs too.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Man, I used to be into it purty heavy...Had a good brindle catch dog named Tank.

The bunch I hung with were catch and release types. Did it purely for the chase, catch, and tie.

Kept a staple gun, purple stuff, and nitrofurazone in the tool box to patch up dogs, hogs, and us.. ?

Looking back, we should have killed a lot more than we turned loose...

It was great fun, but I done got too old for it now...

antharper

Staff member
Man, I used to be into it purty heavy...Had a good brindle catch dog named Tank.

The bunch I hung with were catch and release types. Did it purely for the chase, catch, and tie.

Kept a staple gun, purple stuff, and nitrofurazone in the tool box to patch up dogs, hogs, and us.. ?

Looking back, we should have killed a lot more than we turned loose...

It was great fun, but I done got too old for it now...
Same for the crew I hunted with railroader , we hardly ever killed one unless someone wanted one to eat or to mount . I’ve got a couple of them ugly things mounted .

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My bulldog Tank may have weighed 40#. He was a house pet and the wife at the time made me put a cut vest on him to catch pigs.

Tank learned that the vest meant bizness, and got fired up when he saw it. Once, a big ol sow got loose from all of us except Tank, and she carried him bout a quarter mile cross a clearcut hanging off the side of her head...:LOL:

He came back with a tired, "I'm sorry" look on his face...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Never mounted a boar head caught or killed in front of dogs. But, being a taxidermist, I did mount this old boar killed bow hunting on St Vincent Island off the panhandle of Florida. Also got a small buck that trip. 1975

Attachments

• St Vincent.jpg
    St Vincent.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34
I was deep into hog dogs back in the late '80's early '90's. We lost our club and didn't really have a good place to hunt. Also now, at 50 y/o and living in a subdivision (as opposed to a 220 acre farm) I just don't have the energy or ability to have a bunch of dogs. The 1 dog I have is nearly too much sometimes.

antharper

Staff member
I remember back years ago this forum was "THE ONE".. very good. but over the years it has dwindle down. I just sit back and check in every now then. Still hunting hard. Just a lot older, slower. fatter. lol
Share a picture with us that don’t do it anymore sometimes !

Wanderlust

Yesterday morning my friend had four of his dogs cut down by a 240 lb boar. Lost two and the other two are in rough shape.

Blackston

A5693F38-F7CE-41E9-B433-4643770DC56C.jpeg699C6026-0155-47B0-ABA1-342FE2E86872.jpegAnother two pics .... Boat pic is hunting the mouth of the Altamaha on Broughton Island ( toothiest hogs I’ve ever seen ) Bottom pic is a bird dog /bulldog cross bayin a goodn on the Savannah River

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Been listening to the hog dog nation podcast. Some good entertainment but can’t link here due to language

Most people who hunt with dogs dont post online because they dont want a bunch of idiots chirping at them for their dogs running onto posted property.

Ironically, the same people who complain about people hunting hogs with dogs are the same people who complain about the hog population being too high and dont want anyone on their land. lol

Blackston

Most people who hunt with dogs dont post online because they dont want a bunch of idiots chirping at them for their dogs running onto posted property.

Ironically, the same people who complain about people hunting hogs with dogs are the same people who complain about the hog population being too high and dont want anyone on their land. lol
PREACH !!!!