Best Waterfowl Quota Hunts?

Which WMA is the best for Waterfowl Quota Hunts?

• Altamaha WMA - Butler Island

• BF Grant WMA

• Conasauga River WMA

• Cordele Fish Hatchery

• Evans County PFA

• Flat Creek PFA

• Oconee WMA - Dan Denton

• West Point WMA - Glovers Creek

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fenderbuilt27

It's that time of year again. Time to put those points to use! Where you trying to get and which it the best?

across the river

All are pretty terrible, so the people above aren’t lying. If I had to pick something, I would say Dec. 12th for Butler or Oconee of those dates are even an option. I won’t be putting in for any of them, so I have no clue how many they have anymore.

kingfish

Good news is that Florida has some spectacular quota hunts. Bad news is it's a zoo. Not just a zoo, but a ZOO !!! The STA's are the gold standard, with Merritt Island a close second, and TM Godwin third. If you are serious, go to www.myFWC.com and start learning these areas quota instructions, rules and regulations. Look at the harvest numbers for each area they are on the same website. Not sure where you are at in Ga, but these areas start in lower central Florida and end in south Florida. If you are serious, start making trips to these areas now. You may not be able to get in, but some of them you can park outside the gates and walk in. If you get a quota and just show up, you're wasting your time. All these areas are LOHOADED with big gators and cottonmouths. Most of them are paddle in only or small hp motors. Youtube has a bunch of videos and how to's on these areas. Ringers, BW Teal and Black Belly Tree ducks are the predominant species, but there are trophy Pintails and Widgeon taken every year. If I was looking in Ga, I'd always pick Altamaha. Haven't hunted there since the 80's, but it's proximity to the ocean and fresh water some years puts a concentration of birds there. Good luck.

flatsmaster

STA can be good but last year terrible ... did not fire a cap last yr and had first hunt after the split .. only watched guys walking around shooting coots ... I live by Merritt so don’t believe that hype but u might get a good hunt if birds are around but plenty of empty skies and if ur fortunate to do some shooting plan on having friends bc that’s how half of the people scout ? people only post on YouTube good hunts bc ur not gonna watch no shooting

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Yes everywhere sucked. Everyone should give up duck hunting. Let everyone know.

The reason you think duck hunting is so great is because you’re too young to know what great duck hunting really is.

Duckbuster82

All most people do is complain about the crowd and how terrible hunting is. Yet, they continue to beat their head against the wall have the same results and continue to groan. If you were to go to a restaurant that had a long wait, terrible service and poor quality food would you go back? So why make duck hunting sound so miserable and continue to go. Duck hunting is over crowded as is. But still would like you to tell me what great duck hunting is like, maybe tell the group so we know what to look for, something to gauge our experiences off of as we begin to prepare for the next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

MudDucker

Staff member
Alright boys, I cleaned this up some, but anymore personal attacks are going to draw fire.

kingfish

Lets see, great duck hunting. Having a contest with your buddies to see who can limit out the quickest on ringers and everyone is done before the sun is over the trees. (Florida public lakes 90's to about 2005). 5 buddies limiting out during early teal season 10 minutes after legal shooting time and having them still trying to land in the decoys even though there are 2 canoes in the middle of the dekes (Florida WMA late 80's). Shooting limits of woodies like they were green timber mallards, just wading in (Florida WMA last several seasons), killing drake mallards and pintails for four straight days (McClure Illinois private property 90's to late 2000's). Killing redheads and bluebills on the NW Coast of Florida, decoying like you owed them money (Last 10 years). Use whatever word you want, lucky, blessed, fortunate, but I do know what great duck hunting is.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
lol I grew up in texas, I go every year and my group kills a 3 man for 6 days straight, every trip.

Good for you, good for your “group” and good for Texas. We simply have different ideas on what great duck hunting is. Likely an age thing.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Lets see, great duck hunting. Having a contest with your buddies to see who can limit out the quickest on ringers and everyone is done before the sun is over the trees. (Florida public lakes 90's to about 2005). 5 buddies limiting out during early teal season 10 minutes after legal shooting time and having them still trying to land in the decoys even though there are 2 canoes in the middle of the dekes (Florida WMA late 80's). Shooting limits of woodies like they were green timber mallards, just wading in (Florida WMA last several seasons), killing drake mallards and pintails for four straight days (McClure Illinois private property 90's to late 2000's). Killing redheads and bluebills on the NW Coast of Florida, decoying like you owed them money (Last 10 years). Use whatever word you want, lucky, blessed, fortunate, but I do know what great duck hunting is.

Great for you brother. Enjoy it.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Let's see.... Duck hunting. Have i been there? Yes. Have I done that? Yes. Have I spent at least 10s of thousands of dollars (at the least) to do it to the best if my abilities in the best places in the US? Yes. Do I still do it as hard as I used to, forsaking family, job, money, to kill some birds that generally tastes like liver? Nope. But do I now have buddies who have made it big that I do business with who allow me to tag along in thier 15k a yr private woods clubs when the time is right? Yep. Or family in the delta who call me when the gadwall show up on thier fish ponds? Uh huh. Life as a part time "strike when the iron is hot" duck hunter is good. And for the record, it's not been good enough for me in Ga in a long time.