The July Hound Of Yesterday-"Quick To Jump, Runs To Catch"

specialk

Nice! We still have a farm in Campbell Co...used to hunt some in Halifax too when the dogs would cross the Staunton river!

we are down on the state line, more deer there now than there ever was when i was a kid.....i got bunches of family there and still have my grandparents place we go back to several times a year....

Hillbilly stalker

The next county over from me…they use July’s on Fox and deer. An elderly gentleman told me they would catch a grey in 45 minutes or less. I had never heard of that. Back in the hills Fox hunters were mostly wore out coon hunters who couldn’t pull the hills anymore. I never heard of a pack actually “ catching “ a Fox. Too many ground hog holes and rock bluffs for that to happen. The Fox hunters never wanted to kill a Fox anyways. They wanted to hear their dogs run. People weren’t infected with the incurable “ deer” disease back then. Old timers pulled out on a point where they could hear the whole holler/ valley, turn the pack loose and build a fire, usually pulled a cork too. I Believe that’s where the saying “ Pee on the fire and call in the dogs” comes from. They ran mostly Triggs back in the hills, never seen or heard of a July until I came to South Carolina.

jaydawg

we are down on the state line, more deer there now than there ever was when i was a kid.....i got bunches of family there and still have my grandparents place we go back to several times a year....
ten fo, good deal...we’re located in Seneca, on the river...still dove hunt and black powder hunt every season, plus Thanksgiving and Christmas...no more July hounds running...dog hunting just isn’t the same

jaydawg

The next county over from me…they use July’s on Fox and deer. An elderly gentleman told me they would catch a grey in 45 minutes or less. I had never heard of that. Back in the hills Fox hunters were mostly wore out coon hunters who couldn’t pull the hills anymore. I never heard of a pack actually “ catching “ a Fox. Too many ground hog holes and rock bluffs for that to happen. The Fox hunters never wanted to kill a Fox anyways. They wanted to hear their dogs run. People weren’t infected with the incurable “ deer” disease back then. Old timers pulled out on a point where they could hear the whole holler/ valley, turn the pack loose and build a fire, usually pulled a cork too. I Believe that’s where the saying “ Pee on the fire and call in the dogs” comes from. They ran mostly Triggs back in the hills, never seen or heard of a July until I came to South Carolina.

That’s right...for years my family ran July hounds all over the southeast in fox hunting competition, and then used the same hounds to chase deer in Va...the old timers just wanted to hear the dogs run, build a fire, drink, and argue whose dog was best...they’d rather see you kill the deer in front of their dogs....and those July hounds were fast...seen em catch foxes and have seen em catch 2 deer in my day, and not yearlings either....good times back then, but doggin days are about gone

Cypress knee

My daddy had a pair of July’s out of the same litter when I was a kid. He called them his Daytona 500 dogs cuz they was faster then anything else we had. I’ve got a picture of my daddy and one of those July hounds with a buck he had killed in front of them on my reloading bench. My daddy always said that was the best jump dog he ever had.

catchdogs

Old man in our club mr. Jackson passed few years ago but he had close to 60 July hounds . They had a big fox pen on Friday afternoon he would load up as many as he could and run all weekend . They would run a deer to death on many occasions . They sure were some good looking dogs always wanted to cross one into my hog dogs years ago but never did.

eWarren19842008

My Daddy bred July hounds for over 50 years . You will see his name in a lot of pedigrees in the older bred July hounds. Our dogs was known for speed as well as running head up and maybe s little tight lipped when they was running close on there game I just saw your post and it brought back a world of memories . If you see the name Sharpe in a July hounds pedigree that was my daddy .
My Daddy bred July hounds for over 50 years . You will see his name in a lot of pedigrees in the older bred July hounds. Our dogs was known for speed as well as running head up and maybe s little tight lipped when they was running close on there game I just saw your post and it brought back a world of memories . If you see the name Sharpe in a July hounds pedigree that was my daddy .
I’ve seen the name Sharpe a lot over the years in July hound pedigrees. It hard to find a good July anymore. I’ve got one old male dog that’s still kicking. He’s been bear caught and nearly killed twice, and cut down by several bad boar hogs over the years, and caught many fox & coyote right by himself. He runs to catch no matter what it is. Fine all around gamey dog. Wished I had some good old blood females to cross him back on…

stonecreek

I remember there use to be running pen on 280 outside of Richland. Back in the 70s and 80 s folks would come from all over to run in the pens. Mr. Bell use to supply them and other pens with coyotes. He would cut the tails off the yotes. Said they run faster without the tails and that mud on the tails would slow them down. Mr. Bell retired from Georgia Power but made a pile of money trapping yotes and selling them to pens and also Auburn for research.