Jephthah's vow and sacrifice.

gordon 2

Judges 11

Jephthah sacrificed his only daughter to the Lord because he vowed to do so as she was the first to meet him as he returned from conquest.

" whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.” " such was Jephthah's vow.

1.Had you been Jephthah would you have proceeded with your vow to the Lord if your child's life and death was in the balance and in your hands?

2.Why could Jephthah make such a vow to begin with?

3.Is there an account yet in Christianity for Jephthah's sacrifice of his daughter as we give to the account of Abraham's sacrifice of his son? And if not, why not?

gemcgrew

I have the sermon notes of one of the best messages I have heard regarding this. I no longer believe that Jephthah killed his daughter. I would be more than happy to share those with you if you'd like.

gordon 2

Please do.... if it is not too much out of your way.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have the sermon notes of one of the best messages I have heard regarding this. I no longer believe that Jephthah killed his daughter. I would be more than happy to share those with you if you'd like.

how do you figure that? Judges 11:39 plainly states that he did as he had vowed.

BANDERSNATCH

I, too, don’t believe that she was sacrificed. Jephthah’s daughter was not allowed to marry and spent the rest of her life without knowing a man or having children. No way that Israel is going to watch a human sacrifice, something spoke against time and again in Torah

BANDERSNATCH

Share with me as well, brother.

Mars

It seems clear to me that he did sacrifice her. What am I missing?

And at the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow that he had made.
Judges 11:39 ESV

BANDERSNATCH

In several places it mentions that she “bewailed her virginity”, and never bewailed being sacrificed. Besides, humans could not be sacrificed per Torah, and only certain animals were allowed to be burned in offerings.

BANDERSNATCH

Her life. She could have no children of her own, would know no man, and have no progeny for her father. Women could be devoted to service with the Levites as well, as seen in Numbers 31

Mars

I think we may just have to disagree on this one.

He vowed to sacrifice the first thing out as a burnt offering. Sending her to live in the temple don't exactly burn her up.

BANDERSNATCH

I think we may just have to disagree on this one.

He vowed to sacrifice the first thing out as a burnt offering. Sending her to live in the temple don't exactly burn her up.

We can disagree, not a problem. Was just giving my reasons for believing that she didn’t die. She never mentions death, and per Torah only certain animals could be sacrificed by fire.

:cheers:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We can disagree, not a problem. Was just giving my reasons for believing that she didn’t die. She never mentions death, and per Torah only certain animals could be sacrificed by fire.

:cheers:

Yet, in the time of Christ, children by the thousands were sacrificed in worship of Baal, and Israel was under the rule of Torah then too.

All thru the history of Israel, the Bible reports that the inhabitants worshipped Baal, or returned to the worship of Baal. The main method of Baal worship was human sacrifice, mostly of infants.

Also his vow was to offer a burnt sacrifice, not set aside something dedicated to God. The Bible plainly says that he fulfilled his vow, not a modified version of his vow.

Artfuldodger

I wonder why we teach and hear the story of Abraham's sacrifice as it relates to faith but not Jephthah's story? Was one a story of faith and the other a story of another nature? What was Jephthah's reason for making such a sacrifice?

BANDERSNATCH

In Numbers 30, we read that vows could be made to God. These vows were mostly if/then statements. “If you do this for me, I’ll do this”. Most all of us have taken vows in our life. Weddings. Military service. Etc

Mars

I tend to take a more literal interpretation of the Bible.

Verse 31 states:
Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
Judges 11:31 KJV

Verse 35
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back.
Judges 11:35 KJV

Verse 39
And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,
Judges 11:39

He vowed a burnt offering(verse 31) and did what he vowed to do(verse 39).

I'm far from a biblical scholar but this seems to be what the text describes.

Have a good day and God bless.

Mars

I wonder why we teach and hear the story of Abraham's sacrifice as it relates to faith but not Jephthah's story? Was one a story of faith and the other a story of another nature? What was Jephthah's reason for making such a sacrifice?

God had already told Abraham that he would be the father of nations. Since he was already very old and the conception of Issac was already a miracle, I think Abraham knew/had faith that God would keep his word.

BANDERSNATCH

Yet, in the time of Christ, children by the thousands were sacrificed in worship of Baal, and Israel was under the rule of Torah then too.

All thru the history of Israel, the Bible reports that the inhabitants worshipped Baal, or returned to the worship of Baal. The main method of Baal worship was human sacrifice, mostly of infants.

Also his vow was to offer a burnt sacrifice, not set aside something dedicated to God. The Bible plainly says that he fulfilled his vow, not a modified version of his vow.

??? Those “thousands of children” weren’t sacrificed in Israel. Where do you read that they were? Baal worship was east of the Jordan, not in Israel.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I tend to take a more literal interpretation of the Bible.

Verse 31 states:
Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
Judges 11:31 KJV

Verse 35
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back.
Judges 11:35 KJV

Verse 39
And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,
Judges 11:39

He vowed a burnt offering(verse 31) and did what he vowed to do(verse 39).

I'm far from a biblical scholar but this seems to be what the text describes.

Have a good day and God bless.

you radical. Reading something in the Bible, and actually believing it meant what it plainly says.