Mushroom Time

Found these this morning.heard a gobbling turkey saw 3 hens with poults and found enough of these to share with a friend. Pretty good morning in the woods this morning

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Our daughter was visiting us this week and I took her mushrooming yesterday. While a college student, she worked in a restaurant with a wait staff that was keen on foraging. While visiting her years ago, she showed me chants in the woods for my first time. We were about 20 minutes from one of my good spots yesterday and I noticed a flash of gold on the right-of-way as we sped down the rural blacktop. I turned around, went back and as far as we could see along the shoulder were chants. I stayed in the truck with the flashers on and in 5 minutes she cut 2 pounds of large, prime, which is all we wanted. One was the size of a softball. We lunched on chant stuffed omelets with grilled Conecuh hickory smoked sausage as a side for lunch when we got back home. We didn't need to go where we had originally planned to go. This has been a banner year for chants. Gil
imageedit_2_8781793979.jpg

We've had a pretty good year so far this year. Here's a little recap.

Lots of chanterelles, black trumpets, chicken of the woods, morels.

Attachments

• IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4701.jpg
    IMG_4701.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4716.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4719.jpg
    IMG_4719.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4722.jpg
    IMG_4722.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4738.jpg
    IMG_4738.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 42

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Still nothing here. It's dust dry. We need some rain to pop them.

Doug B.

Still nothing here. It's dust dry. We need some rain to pop them.
Wow! I got rained on about 4 times today. I'm only about 40-45 minutes from you. I'm also not absolutely sure what chanterelles are but I have seen some that I think are that are up here. What is the best way to tell? Spore color?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! I got rained on about 4 times today. I'm only about 40-45 minutes from you. I'm also not absolutely sure what chanterelles are but I have seen some that I think are that are up here. What is the best way to tell? Spore color?
Just the overall look, and the gill surface, or lack thereof. The rain has been very hit and miss here lately. Some places drowned, and some like a desert.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Just the overall look, and the gill surface, or lack thereof. The rain has been very hit and miss here lately. Some places drowned, and some like a desert.

Hope you get some rain soon brother.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Walked out in front of house few minutes ago and the chants are popping. Golden goodness.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Walked out in front of house few minutes ago and the chants are popping. Golden goodness.
There are few coming up on the corner of the yard that look something close to what y’all are calling chants. They’re up under a full time shaded area under big old pecan tree. Can’t say with any certainty,very few in any event.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Take a pic and post it up.