Rut Roh SEC: OU & Horns Crashin the Party

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
UK and Vandy are both charter members From the original group; they ain’t going anywhere. Their tenure gives them much more say so in the conference than you may think. Besides, the conference wouldn’t let Vandy take those academic credentials away.
Bama & Barn will move to the east as predicted. Mizzou moves west to balance.
Saw this map earlier and I agree this is what we probably will be moving forward:
View attachment 1092383

Ouch. No more SEC East titles for Jawja. As a matter of fact, no more nothing for Jawja. Ouch.

MCBUCK

GTMODawg

BANNED
What they ought to do is move all of the original SEC teams but the two Mississippi schools to the SEC East. Keep the Mississippi schools in the west and add ALL of the expansion teams to the west. LSU would be the outlier as it is slightly further west than either Oxford or Starkville but the Mississippi schools need to be in the same division so the egg bowl is played every year. I think we play a minimum of 8 and possibly 9 - 10 Conference games a year. That means that those of us who play an ACC school every year will most likely no longer do so. Given that the addition of OU and UT will make the SEC even more superior than any other conference UGA, UF and USC playing GT, FSU and Clemson respectively only allows those schools from a lesser conference some tie to the preeminent conference in CFB. It'd be a shame to lose those games but none of the 3 is really competitive anyway....UGA owns GT, Clem's son owns USC and UF has a slight advantage over FSU. The WLOCP may also become a home and home.....I think both schools kind of want this to happen anyway...not fans but the admins

GTMODawg

BANNED
If your map happens, my post happens. And you know this MAN!

While it will be somewhat more difficult for UGA to win the SEC east in the scenario presented by that map, as things currently stand, UGA probably ain't winning a SEC title without beating Alabama anyway....I know it happened in 2017 but it ain't going to happen often, at least not as things stand currently. What will most definitely happen eventually is UGA will wind up beating Alabama more regularly than we do now because not doing so will not be an option....in the same manner it isn't an option for Auburn, LSU and Ole Miss now....all of whom have beaten Nick Saban more times than UGA has.....steel hardens steel. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Auburn wouldnt be the program they are if it werent for having to play Alabama on the regular.

And, with play off expansion coming for certain, winning the SEC isn't as important as it once was. There is NO WAY that in a 12 team playoff a SEC with OU and Texas in it does not get at least 4 teams in and most years 5 and some years 6....is is HIGHLY likely that many a 2 loss SEC team will find itself in the playoff and will do well in said playoff playing the likes of a PAC 12 champ, a ACC champ or a Cincinatti / central Florida type team. Who you going to take against any of those scenarios...UGA who lost to #1 Alabama and #2 OU or Central Florida???

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Ouch. No more SEC East titles for Jawja. As a matter of fact, no more nothing for Jawja. Ouch.
Lil Nicky ain't gonna live forever let alone coach. Look what happened to UF since Urban "retired".

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
UGA won about 10 SEC Titles with what amounted to that map with the Mississpis and LSU added to it...UGA will be just fine.

Unfortunately, looks like we might get to see.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Lil Nicky ain't gonna live forever let alone coach. Look what happened to UF since Urban "retired".

Agreed but he has built an empire that will surely take some amount of time to die down after his retirement. Or passing. No I in team.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Who thinks OU and UT to the SEC is the end of SEC Expansion??? I think we are looking at something along the line of a 20 - 24 team conference which will be, for all intents and purposes, the upper division of CFB and the other 106 teams in a whole other league. It wouldn't surprise me to see a conference eventually consisting of the current SEC with OU and UT, Ohio State, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Oregon and Washington. This would most likely mean Vandy has to get up and excuse itself from the upper division. Possibly Mizzoo, UK, Arkansas, South Carolina Ole Miss and Mississippi State as well.

Between the transfer portal and NIL the gap between the haves and the have nots is about to become an abyssmally deep schism which will never be crossed. There are about 20-25 programs which could win a national title any given year....I think 24 of those become the upper division of CFB and everyone else playing in a second tier division.

Who are the 24? Obviously the big 6 of the SEC. Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA, UF and UT. Notre Dame makes 7. Clem's son, FSU and Miami make 10. Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State make 13. Texas and OU make 15. USC, Oregon and Washington make 18. Possibly this is all there is. TAM is improved but they have never won a national title. Of these 18 programs only Michigan State would be something of a surprise if they won a national title. All of the rest have either done so or come close in recent years.

To round out the 24? TAM has to be in there...given the resources few programs have the potential despite the lack of results that TAM has. Oklahoma State is another one who is in a similar situation. UCLA. Possibly Minnesota, Nebraska, maybe West Virginia, Possibly Virginia Tech.....Possibly Arkansas but its been a while since they have been relevant. Its really hard to come up with anyone outside of those 18 currently who wouldnt be a big surprise if they won a natty.

4 - 6 team conferences where every one plays every one. 2 games against 2 teams outside of your own 6 team conference....that makes 11 games. 1 and 2 play for the conference title. 12 team playoff utilizing 8 existing bowl games, bye for the top 4 teams.

ddgarcia

While it will be somewhat more difficult for UGA to win the SEC east in the scenario presented by that map, as things currently stand, UGA probably ain't winning a SEC title without beating Alabama anyway....I know it happened in 2017 but it ain't going to happen often, at least not as things stand currently. What will most definitely happen eventually is UGA will wind up beating Alabama more regularly than we do now because not doing so will not be an option....in the same manner it isn't an option for Auburn, LSU and Ole Miss now....all of whom have beaten Nick Saban more times than UGA has.....steel hardens steel. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Auburn wouldnt be the program they are if it werent for having to play Alabama on the regular.

And, with play off expansion coming for certain, winning the SEC isn't as important as it once was. There is NO WAY that in a 12 team playoff a SEC with OU and Texas in it does not get at least 4 teams in and most years 5 and some years 6....is is HIGHLY likely that many a 2 loss SEC team will find itself in the playoff and will do well in said playoff playing the likes of a PAC 12 champ, a ACC champ or a Cincinatti / central Florida type team. Who you going to take against any of those scenarios...UGA who lost to #1 Alabama and #2 OU or Central Florida???

If/when expansion happens it will likely look like this. 5 conference champions, 1 G5 school and the rest will be "at large" bids. This is where the SEC dominates with the B1G a close second.

And as long as Clemson has Dabo I would bet on them winning the majority of their playoff games against all others.

bullgator

Bama & Barn come to the east, Mizzou moves west. Play everyone in the division plus two crossovers for a nine game schedule.
OR
some kind of four team pod schedule that’s akin to a very confusing game of musical chairs that only mathematicians, rocket scientist and IT’s can make sense of.
That doesn’t work. The East only gains one and the west gains three. The East needs one more from the west.

ddgarcia

Agreed but he has built an empire that will surely take some amount of time to die down after his retirement. Or passing. No I in team.

Didn't take UF but one year.

GTMODawg

BANNED

UF was a JOKE prior to Spurrier becoming the head coach. They won their first SEC title in 1996 LOL.....after Kentucky and Ole Miss! It took them 90 years of playing football to win a national title. Even when UF has been down since Spurrier left they were as good or better than most of UF's teams had been prior to Spurrier. Spurrier built a joke of a program into one which should contend annually for conference titles and regularly for national titles....and they have done so since Spurrier left, just not on the same scale. Alabama was a national power prior to Saban...what he has built at Bama will last a LOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG time.....it will fall of somewhat but it aiin'y going away completely any time soon...

ddgarcia

That doesn’t work. The East only gains one and the west gains three. The East needs one more from the west.
Check your math. Each division currently has 7. Bama and the Barn move east giving them 9 minus Mizzou equals 8 leaving the west with 5. Add 3 to that and you get..............

bullgator

Check your math. Each division currently has 7. Bama and the Barn move east giving them 9 minus Mizzou equals 8 leaving the west with 5. Add 3 to that and you get..............
I think you’re right. I’ve been fighting a stomach bug the last couple of day (lost 5 pounds ?) , I know it affected one end of me but didn’t know it would affect simple deductive math……facepalm:

ddgarcia

I think you’re right. I’ve been fighting a stomach bug the last couple of day (lost 5 pounds ?) , I know it affected one end of me but didn’t know it would affect simple deductive math……facepalm:

It's cool. First time I read it I had the same reaction til I worked it out in my head.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Bama & Barn come to the east, Mizzou moves west. Play everyone in the division plus two crossovers for a nine game schedule.
OR
some kind of four team pod schedule that’s akin to a very confusing game of musical chairs that only mathematicians, rocket scientist and IT’s can make sense of.
I don't believe they will put Bama and UGA in together.

bullgator

I don't believe they will put Bama and UGA in together.
They most certainly will. THe SECw will stay strong with LSU, A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma

Resica

These teams may not draw the money like a Texas or Oklahoma, but I'd take any one of them over Texas and Oklahoma.

North Carolina
NC State
Ga Tech
Ga Southern
Any of the Florida schools

If we're going to expand the playoffs to allow more teams, I don't understand why we need to expand the SEC any more. I hope they leave the SEC alone. I don't like expansion.
They call it money!!