Pandora's box

Dudley Do-Wrong

It appears that Pandora's box has been opened, now a high schooler wants to skip his senior year and jump right into college football so he can make some $$$$. This NIL was supposed to help athletes with expenses, it is already turning into a "get rich" scheme. This kid is not seeking an education (surprise, surprise), it's all about the Benjamins. Will NCAA academic requirements prevent this?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/no-1...ip-senior-season-enroll-ohio-state-profit-nil

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
It appears that Pandora's box has been opened, now a high schooler wants to skip his senior year and jump right into college football so he can make some $$$$. This NIL was supposed to help athletes with expenses, it is already turning into a "get rich" scheme. This kid is not seeking an education (surprise, surprise), it's all about the Benjamins. Will NCAA academic requirements prevent this?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/no-1...ip-senior-season-enroll-ohio-state-profit-nil

Unlike the NCAA requirements for a HS athlete to qualify under their guidelines for scholarships etc. There is no 'you must take' these courses in college to be eligible to play just a minimum GPA and number of courses passed from my limited experience as an instructor.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It’s become common for kids to enroll in college a semester early and start football. At least one kid and possibly two that graduated with my daughter did this I can see this happening more. Why wouldn’t they I’d like this kid they only have one class left to graduate? Why stick around ?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
If a kid is talented enough to play ball at the next level by all means go!
We would all like to make good money at that age!

This isn't minor league baseball. This is college. There are other considerations other than athletic ability. Maybe it's time we separate the two like the minor leagues. If you want and education you go to college and get an education and accept THAT as compensation for playing and if you want to get paid go to the minor league.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
This isn't minor league baseball. This is college. There are other considerations other than athletic ability. Maybe it's time we separate the two like the minor leagues. If you want and education you go to college and get an education and accept THAT as compensation for playing and if you want to get paid go to the minor league.
I agree but it's a done deal now and like the OP said it's a Pandora's Box!

No stopping it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
NCAA academic requirements are a joke. Schools have invented courses and probably degree programs to facilitate the ability of some footballers to stay in college.

If we were to recognize reality, college football has been a big business for a very long time. Some of the players are student/athletes and some are semi professional players who have been compensated for years.

Waddams

JMHO - I had to have a high school diploma to go to college. I think most admissions departments require it. So if this kid can get his diploma early and enter college early, more power to him.

If he doesn't have a diploma from high school, I would hope colleges wouldn't admit him and would make him finish his high school diploma like the rest of us had to. At the same time, if they do that's their business. I don't agree with it, I would not support my alma mater doing this, but it's a free country (supposed to be anyway) so I'm not gonna lose much sleep if they do something I don't agree with.

Madsnooker

I guessing some of you didn't know kids have been enrolling early for years now. Ewers needs 1 class to graduate so he is deciding to enroll early. He was already going to enroll in January. What's making it headline news is because of his reason. This is a non story that the talking heads can use to have something to talk about. Apparently he was already considering it but playing one last season of high-school football was inticing and then he would enroll in January. Apparently he has some big NIL options available now so now he is reconsidering it again because Texas HS won't allow a student to make money of his NIL.

Personally I don't like were the NIL is taking us but people making a big deal that he may leave early is kinda funny considering how often it has been happening in recent years.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I guessing some of you didn't know kids have been enrolling early for years now. Ewers needs 1 class to graduate so he is deciding to enroll early. He was already going to enroll in January. What's making it headline news is because of his reason. This is a non story that the talking heads can use to have something to talk about. Apparently he was already considering it but playing one last season of high-school football was inticing and then he would enroll in January. Apparently he has some big NIL options available now so now he is reconsidering it again because Texas HS won't allow a student to make money of his NIL.

Personally I don't like were the NIL is taking us but people making a big deal that he may leave early is kinda funny considering how often it has been happening in recent years.
Carson Beck and several others enrolled early at UGA it's not uncommon!

They enroll early to start learning the playbook, train, interact with the team (at least football players do!)

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Also more than a few kids go to college while in high school. They get double credit. My daughter started college with half of her freshman year credits in her pocket. She should graduate a semester early.
My sons friend started college as a sophomore and was almost a junior when he graduated high school . Same deal.

Madsnooker

Also more than a few kids go to college while in high school. They get double credit. My daughter started college with half of her freshman year credits in her pocket. She should graduate a semester early.
My sons friend started college as a sophomore and was almost a junior when he graduated high school . Same deal.
That's very true and sure helps ease the pain on Mom and Dad finances. Lol