Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullgator

Is it necessary to crimp on the cannelure on sst's. I've been seating below to get get less jump to my lans on my 270 win.
I don’t crimp at all for bolt guns. I think your on the right track by concentrating on minimal jump.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Is it necessary to crimp on the cannelure on sst's. I've been seating below to get get less jump to my lans on my 270 win.

I agree with bullgator….
Most factory loads have some kind of crimp… Winchester crimps kinda heavy in my opinion.
The only ones I do are 5.56 and this .25-06. I was try to duplicate the factory load I was using and getting .5MOA from and mine ended up being .25MOA.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think the Hornady spec is about the same as the Nosler and it doesn’t quit come to the cannalure

Jester896

Senior Clown
I went back and checked my OAL and it was dead on with the Nosler 9 loading manual specs.
the Hornady data for the 117gr is about the same….it doesn’t go to the cannalure either. Their factory “Custom” load is seated to the cannalure and crimped. The newer Whitetail ammo with the 117SST and the regular Interlock are seated to the cannalure and crimped too. They measure shorter than the manual data.

menhadenman

the Hornady data for the 117gr is about the same….it doesn’t go to the cannalure either. Their factory “Custom” load is seated to the cannalure and crimped. The newer Whitetail ammo with the 117SST and the regular Interlock are seated to the cannalure and crimped too. They measure shorter than the manual data.

The Partitions don’t have a cannelure, at least not the two boxes I have. I seated the SST a little deeper than the cannelure, but only because I measured some factory ammo I bought maybe 15 years ago (SST Superperformance) that shoots great. Lots of jump but they shoot. Here are some pics of what I loaded... we’ll see if they shoot.

B3D18CF4-1D46-44E8-A042-516CB02E932E.jpegAE6D2E6F-F7DB-4970-9F3E-0B56BD09A0EA.jpeg97703363-6960-471A-9E1F-F2DCD4322C28.jpeg

menhadenman

And I finally got some Retumbo to shoot in my new 7RM, crazy 71.7 grains seems high but Berger is OK with it. No such luck with H1000. H4831sc was solid but nobody is hanging with the old brown mule (IMR4350). Need to quick experimenting there.

The 30-06 shot poor today, I’m way off on that one. Best group was just under 1”, but worst was 2.5” or so. May park that one for now but dang it irks me! Savage 111, was trying 178 ELDM over H4350. Any magic recipes would be appreciated.

F9BD1ECD-4BEE-4E22-BB54-E27F3501E1E1.jpeg

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

And I finally got some Retumbo to shoot in my new 7RM, crazy 71.7 grains seems high but Berger is OK with it. No such luck with H1000. H4831sc was solid but nobody is hanging with the old brown mule (IMR4350). Need to quick experimenting there.

The 30-06 shot poor today, I’m way off on that one. Best group was just under 1”, but worst was 2.5” or so. May park that one for now but dang it irks me! Savage 111, was trying 178 ELDM over H4350. Any magic recipes would be appreciated.

View attachment 1095050
My savage 116 30-06 shoots the 150 grain SGK over H4350 quite well at near max load just over 3000 fps. Whitetail schwacker for sure.

Rosewood

rosewood

My 120gr Partition Blems have a cannalure. The look of it sticking out like that makes my brain hurt. Hopefully the 115gr Partitions shoot better since they don't have a cannalure to drive me crazy.
Bit OCD huh? Sticking out doesn't hurt a thing. I have the 154gr SSTs sticking out in my 7RM and they drive tacks just like that. :) In fact, it is the most accurate load and gun I own with those bullets.

Rosewood

Nimrod71

To me cannalure lines are just for general use for someone who doesn't care to measure seating depth. I know a lot of hunters just want something that shoots as good as store bought ammo so they load theirs to the same OAL, it works for them. I use to do that in my younger days.

rosewood

To me cannalure lines are just for general use for someone who doesn't care to measure seating depth. I know a lot of hunters just want something that shoots as good as store bought ammo so they load theirs to the same OAL, it works for them. I use to do that in my younger days.
In ar15, I seat to cannelure if it is present. In 44mag, 357 mag revolvers etc, I also seat to cannelure. Most other cartridge/guns, seat to best accuracy.

Rosewood

Status
Not open for further replies.