nonresident turkey hunting

ssramage

I just ran across it.

I'm a little torn. I 100% support hunter recruitment and driving awareness of hunting opportunities. If we don't do a good job of this, hunter recruitment will continue to drop and opportunities will diminish for us and future generations.

BUT... it seems very counter intuitive to pay social media influencers to drive nonresident participation when states across the board are reducing their bag limits and hunting opportunities for residents. The marketing activities don't align with the strategy.

Dupree

And Georgia is partnered with THP to promote our public lands (According to this screen shot I was sent, I’m not sure if it’s legit), but yet the public land turkey hunter lost two weeks of hunting compared to private lands. Maybe they should have kept it residents only the first two weeks of season.F0064133-B0DB-4D9C-8200-E106D7E29829.jpeg

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Arizona paid influencers to promote their hunts and now there have been cuts to the OTC mule deer as a direct results.

I used to watch THP and other shows but they are all just pimping out wildlife until it's a depleted resource then they move onto the next thing. Born raised outdoors did the sMe with elk and now it's so popular they went to waterfowl instead.

Hunter recruitment is the dumbest idea ever when you can't find a parking spot on public land.

Dupree

Is this really true? Has GA DNR partnered with these dopes?
I messaged one of the hosts on that podcast asking for proof and he sent me the screen shot I posted above. I wonder who in the Dnr we should contact to ask? I think GON should get someone to start doing some digging and write an article.

Dupree

@C.Killmaster whom would I need to contact to find out if the Dnr is in fact in a paid partnership with youtubers?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I love watching their videos and various others as well, but.......... there is absolutely no reason for the State of GA to use our tax dollars to pay them or any others to try and bring more people in. Then turn around and take away time and change limits, Makes absolutely no sense. If DNR wants to do something they need to limit the numbers of NR's coming in and charge more for their licenses.

Dupree post what you find out.

LongBeard50

I love watching their videos and various others as well, but.......... there is absolutely no reason for the State of GA to use our tax dollars to pay them or any others to try and bring more people in. Then turn around and take away time and change limits, Makes absolutely no sense. If DNR wants to do something they need to limit the numbers of NR's coming in and charge more for their licenses.

Dupree post what you find out.

The DNRs team up with THP because they have a big following who watch their videos about traveling for turkey hunting. The more people that travel to the state, the more money the DNR gets. I used to watch THP and Hollywood Dave Owens until I realized that they are not doing ANYTHING good for turkey hunting. Quite the opposite actually through their pimping out of public lands and the resource we all cherish.

Let’s not confuse any of this. It is all about MONEY for both groups. The quicker you and the rest of social media stop watching their shows, the better we will all be.

Last edited:

Unicoidawg

Staff member

Dupree

Im honestly surprised an Alabama lynch mob hasnt shown up at Dave’z doorstep. That man absolutely ruined some real gems over there.[/QUOTE
I think THP has done more damage than Owens. They tell and show way too many clues as to where they are.

LongBeard50

I think THP has done more damage than Owens. They tell and show way too many clues as to where they are.

Of course they have in that regard, and they have a much larger following. Dave has done his fair share though. It’s the hypocrisy that bugs me about him. He used to talk down on people that would hunt south Florida with their buggies and side by sides. After he singlehandedly increased hunting pressure 10 fold down there, now he takes 2 buggies down to get away from the crowds.

I will say this, there is a reason chubbs doesn’t hunt with Dave much anymore, and it goes far beyond their schedules not lining up. Just listen to the podcast chubbs was on and you will get a good understanding about how he feels regarding all this social media bull.

Last edited by a moderator:

KentuckyHeadhunter

THP and Owens are definitely damaging turkey hunting on public lands for personal gain and notoriety. I get tired of people saying how these guys are not only great turkey hunters but great woodsman. I have yet to see any woodsmanship from any of these jokers. Sleeping in a walmart parking lot in your truck and having all the latest gear and gadgets is what is being taught instead.
There are 2 types of hunters and I shouldn't have to explain what that means.