nonresident turkey hunting

Resica

I didn't look at the USFWS stuff yet, but I will. In order to hunt anything in Pa., except furbearers, you need a general hunting license. That license allows you to take a buck with a gun, 1 spring and 1 fall turkey also squirrels, rabbits and grouse. Dove hunting, snipe, Rail, woodcock etc. would require a migratory bird stamp, waterfowl hunting would require an additional duck stamp. Archery license required to hunt with a bow unless your using a bow in rifle season. Bear license required to hunt bear. I think if you have a hunting license or furtakers license you can hunt the furbearers that you are allowed to shoot. Trappers are required a furbearers license to trap and they appear to have gone up. Doe licenses are sold separately now adays. A 2nd spring turkey tag needs to be purchased if you want to shoot a 2nd gob. We now have to buy a pheasant stamp to hunt them, more pheasants stocked since the stamp came into play. I'm sure I missed stuff. I think if you add up all licenses, permits, etc. your not getting close to 2 million.

Last edited:
What an interesting situation. I don’t post much, but my marketing background gives me a unique perspective. I think the function of marketing / advertising is very much in question here. Is everyone mad that the DNR is trying to promote license sales, hunting awareness, etc.? I’ve always found it a positive to shed light on hunting and invite more people to enjoy the great outdoors. Most state funded programs take advantage of marketing. Whether it be seatbelt awareness, anti-drunk driving, etc. Almost all local tourism offices advertise and market. This is all government / taxpayer funded. Heck the DNR performs other marketing related to safe boating, etc. using many forms of media. In this instance, it seems the government (DNR marketing) decided that The Hunting Public offered a strong value proposition to support their efforts. Let’s remember, it’s 2021, social media and influencers in particular provide much more targeted and measurable results than a newspaper ad, roadside billboard or radio ad. Obviously someone at the state level made this decision over other marketing and advertising options. I sense that many are just mad that the DNR selected an influencer marketing program with THP, possibly because of past issues with increased hunting pressure, or because they don’t like the show, or perhaps because they are jealous of their success.

However, as a hunter that sees the decline in turkey population firsthand, I also don’t necessarily want more people (especially out of state hunters) adding pressure to “our” precious resource. But are the funds from the additional hunters valuable enough that they outweigh the pressure? I don’t have that answer. Maybe someone from the DNR does. If the DNR spent $X with THP, but license sales went up by twice that number, does the increase in funds help to positively benefit the turkey population through studies, enhanced habitat, etc.?

I don’t posses any answers but I did want to give some perspective as the DNR might end up choosing a less controversial marketing program in the future as I am sure they are aware of this thread. But I don’t think there should be outrage that in 2021, a marketing team chose a social media platform to engage with a young audience. That is just keeping up with the times. Social media has changed almost every facet of this world; hunting, fishing and conservation included.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
What an interesting situation. I don’t post much, but my marketing background gives me a unique perspective. I think the function of marketing / advertising is very much in question here. Is everyone mad that the DNR is trying to promote license sales, hunting awareness, etc.? I’ve always found it a positive to shed light on hunting and invite more people to enjoy the great outdoors. Most state funded programs take advantage of marketing. Whether it be seatbelt awareness, anti-drunk driving, etc. Almost all local tourism offices advertise and market. This is all government / taxpayer funded. Heck the DNR performs other marketing related to safe boating, etc. using many forms of media. In this instance, it seems the government (DNR marketing) decided that The Hunting Public offered a strong value proposition to support their efforts. Let’s remember, it’s 2021, social media and influencers in particular provide much more targeted and measurable results than a newspaper ad, roadside billboard or radio ad. Obviously someone at the state level made this decision over other marketing and advertising options. I sense that many are just mad that the DNR selected an influencer marketing program with THP, possibly because of past issues with increased hunting pressure, or because they don’t like the show, or perhaps because they are jealous of their success.

However, as a hunter that sees the decline in turkey population firsthand, I also don’t necessarily want more people (especially out of state hunters) adding pressure to “our” precious resource. But are the funds from the additional hunters valuable enough that they outweigh the pressure? I don’t have that answer. Maybe someone from the DNR does. If the DNR spent $X with THP, but license sales went up by twice that number, does the increase in funds help to positively benefit the turkey population through studies, enhanced habitat, etc.?

I don’t posses any answers but I did want to give some perspective as the DNR might end up choosing a less controversial marketing program in the future as I am sure they are aware of this thread. But I don’t think there should be outrage that in 2021, a marketing team chose a social media platform to engage with a young audience. That is just keeping up with the times. Social media has changed almost every facet of this world; hunting, fishing and conservation included.

There again after all that it boils down to this.......... Our DNR cut the season and cut the limit all the while screaming about the decline in population. Then with the other hand paid influencers to try and put more pressure on that resource. That's why people are upset with the whole deal....

ddd-shooter

Why market to a resource (hunter licenses) that is largely stable across time?

I am not advocating for the way that the state spent the money. From a quick glance, that $23k earned them well over 1.5M views on the videos that THP filmed in Georgia. I am sure they have other metrics they use to gauge the return on investment of their various marketing programs. I hope my tax dollars are used the most efficient way possible for their designated purpose.

Often times with government budgets, they have to use what they are allocated, or they lose it completely. For this purpose (bring awareness to hunting in Georgia), maybe they choose a different way to spend it in the future. Perhaps they don’t spend it on a program that appears to encourage out of state hunters while across the hall at HQ they are shortening the season. Regardless, here we are talking about it, which is worth something.

I too would love to see more resources spent on habitat creation and other land management techniques that benefit turkeys. But there are other struggles the DNR faces such as people to do the work. Also, as someone stated, the marketing program with THP was probably based around hunting in general, not just turkey. Exposure to the great outdoors and the state of Georgia is good for all conservationists, at least in my belief. The THP guys also did an entire episode focused on increasing the wild turkey population, and I don’t think anyone is doubting their true love for the outdoors.

Does it seem tone deaf to use a marketing program that encourages more hunting pressure, while at the same time knowing our turkey population is declining? Probably. But I doubt the marketing team at the DNR was consulting the group that determines season length and harvest allotments.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Some go to the woods making sure there is a resource to hunt the following seasons at great effort and expense. Some just go to kill. The rules somehow are the same for both.

ChickenCharmer

I am not advocating for the way that the state spent the money. From a quick glance, that $23k earned them well over 1.5M views on the videos that THP filmed in Georgia. I am sure they have other metrics they use to gauge the return on investment of their various marketing programs. I hope my tax dollars are used the most efficient way possible for their designated purpose.

Often times with government budgets, they have to use what they are allocated, or they lose it completely. For this purpose (bring awareness to hunting in Georgia), maybe they choose a different way to spend it in the future. Perhaps they don’t spend it on a program that appears to encourage out of state hunters while across the hall at HQ they are shortening the season. Regardless, here we are talking about it, which is worth something.

I too would love to see more resources spent on habitat creation and other land management techniques that benefit turkeys. But there are other struggles the DNR faces such as people to do the work. Also, as someone stated, the marketing program with THP was probably based around hunting in general, not just turkey. Exposure to the great outdoors and the state of Georgia is good for all conservationists, at least in my belief. The THP guys also did an entire episode focused on increasing the wild turkey population, and I don’t think anyone is doubting their true love for the outdoors.

Does it seem tone deaf to use a marketing program that encourages more hunting pressure, while at the same time knowing our turkey population is declining? Probably. But I doubt the marketing team at the DNR was consulting the group that determines season length and harvest allotments.

Well put David, it’s difficult to sort through and add a voice to such a positive forum turned negative, but you managed to filter through it well.

C.Killmaster, it went way off the rails… I’m not going to call anyone out but, promoting out of state hunting began years ago with the maker of your camouflage and game calls and was most likely supported by state agencies, but you didn’t hear about it through your Commodore 64 computer. Directly or indirectly, those VHS made me want to go to Montana and hunt MilkRiver white tails with a primos grunt call in a tree lounge. Are you gonna quit wearing their camo or use calls or deerstands from manufacturers that support you tubers? Or email them your displeasure? Are y’all more responsive and willing to help out when you are encouraged and your ego is stroked or when you are nagged?

Of all the public properties I visit, it’s rare to see out of state rentals or car tags at gates. I wonder how many of the out of staters pay to hunt private lands and not public land? I love to travel and hunt. If I could only get paid to do it?!

Unfortunately, it is all about money, the one resource needed to elevate other resources. $37,856.07… That’s what the THP helped raise to support Dr. Chamberlain and the research efforts that he, and his VOLUNTEER team of Graduate Students, to help understand ALL things Wild Turkey. One of the best 1:22 minutes of my time was watching that episode and it helped me understand more about the research of my favorite time of year in the woods. You have got to put aside your hatred towards a very successful public hunting YouTube channel and watch this episode multiple times. You may hear him mention and understand why they decided to temporarily delay the hunting season to help research this matter of decline.

Yeah, I hate knowing that my hard earned tax dollars go towards a lot of crap but I can only hope that my dollar is going towards this. Another great hour of my time was spent talking to the WRD Technician at several WMAs. David you said it, the DNR WRD said the real struggle with why you see a decline in the food plots on public land is man power. Heck, every market is struggling to find people who actually want to work…

Bottom line, there’s more here to put our energy toward. Let’s try and get the forum back on the rails of that. We aren’t stopping out of state licensing so we might as well continue to support efforts to make what we have better! And hey, no one is stopping you from jumping in your Bronco and going to hunt and fish someone else’s state. It’s actually fun.

buckpasser

Well put David, it’s difficult to sort through and add a voice to such a positive forum turned negative, but you managed to filter through it well.

C.Killmaster, it went way off the rails… I’m not going to call anyone out but, promoting out of state hunting began years ago with the maker of your camouflage and game calls and was most likely supported by state agencies, but you didn’t hear about it through your Commodore 64 computer. Directly or indirectly, those VHS made me want to go to Montana and hunt MilkRiver white tails with a primos grunt call in a tree lounge. Are you gonna quit wearing their camo or use calls or deerstands from manufacturers that support you tubers? Or email them your displeasure? Are y’all more responsive and willing to help out when you are encouraged and your ego is stroked or when you are nagged?

Of all the public properties I visit, it’s rare to see out of state rentals or car tags at gates. I wonder how many of the out of staters pay to hunt private lands and not public land? I love to travel and hunt. If I could only get paid to do it?!

Unfortunately, it is all about money, the one resource needed to elevate other resources. $37,856.07… That’s what the THP helped raise to support Dr. Chamberlain and the research efforts that he, and his VOLUNTEER team of Graduate Students, to help understand ALL things Wild Turkey. One of the best 1:22 minutes of my time was watching that episode and it helped me understand more about the research of my favorite time of year in the woods. You have got to put aside your hatred towards a very successful public hunting YouTube channel and watch this episode multiple times. You may hear him mention and understand why they decided to temporarily delay the hunting season to help research this matter of decline.

Yeah, I hate knowing that my hard earned tax dollars go towards a lot of crap but I can only hope that my dollar is going towards this. Another great hour of my time was spent talking to the WRD Technician at several WMAs. David you said it, the DNR WRD said the real struggle with why you see a decline in the food plots on public land is man power. Heck, every market is struggling to find people who actually want to work…

Bottom line, there’s more here to put our energy toward. Let’s try and get the forum back on the rails of that. We aren’t stopping out of state licensing so we might as well continue to support efforts to make what we have better! And hey, no one is stopping you from jumping in your Bronco and going to hunt and fish someone else’s state. It’s actually fun.

Maybe I’m alone here, but I say Chamberlain is another way to waste some money.

Gaswamp

Nice first post. Yet at the heart of this debate is one main issue for Georgia resident hunters. DNR pays and promotes hunting to out of staters, yet residents lose turkey hunting time and one bird.