nonresident turkey hunting

Long Cut

All around this whole situation was very poor timing on our DNR’s part.
Between shortening our turkey season and bag limits to current political events. Overall trust in our government organizations is very poor right now.

Had the turkey season not been reduced the same year THP was paid to promote OOS hunting, there would have been significantly less backlash.

I confidently feel I speak for the majority of us public land hunters here when I say, we all know of several WMA’s that could use some better roads, gates and a whole lot of tractor work.

IF the DNR had come out and told us, “This paid promotion with THP is to justify hiring “X Number” of Biologists/WRD Techs/Game Wardens” the outcome would have been different.

To sum it up, we just ask for Honesty when it comes to our tax and license dollars. Having to find out through Facebook and Forums because a couple guys began asking questions, instead of the DNR coming fourth to provide clarity is shady in my book.

If you are upset, don't buy a hunting lic. this year, bet if enough people do it they just might get the picture.

buckpasser

Where/what is the waste with research?

Research is great. Paying the turkey doc is what is the waste. He’s a one trick pony pushing hunting pressure timing being a major cause of population decrease. I’ve also been amused at his low T theory. DNR did a study to see if an adjusted season might help. When it failed to show an improvement, “the experimental area was too small”. I guess the state bought in to that because the next experimental area is state wide. As I’ve screamed from the rooftops, turkeys are going to come back anyway, ON THEIR OWN. Toms neither lay or hatch eggs, nor do they assist in raising poults. No one has proven that even a single willing hen couldn’t find a mate. Turkey doc lacks common sense, yet somehow he leads the way...

buckpasser

All around this whole situation was very poor timing on our DNR’s part.
Between shortening our turkey season and bag limits to current political events. Overall trust in our government organizations is very poor right now.

Had the turkey season not been reduced the same year THP was paid to promote OOS hunting, there would have been significantly less backlash.

I confidently feel I speak for the majority of us public land hunters here when I say, we all know of several WMA’s that could use some better roads, gates and a whole lot of tractor work.

IF the DNR had come out and told us, “This paid promotion with THP is to justify hiring “X Number” of Biologists/WRD Techs/Game Wardens” the outcome would have been different.

To sum it up, we just ask for Honesty when it comes to our tax and license dollars. Having to find out through Facebook and Forums because a couple guys began asking questions, instead of the DNR coming fourth to provide clarity is shady in my book.

“But, but, but, it’s our hard card money. It’s only allotted to waste on advertising...”

Could the allocation maybe just be adjusted???

Gut_Pile

Research is great. Paying the turkey doc is what is the waste. He’s a one trick pony pushing hunting pressure timing being a major cause of population decrease. I’ve also been amused at his low T theory. DNR did a study to see if an adjusted season might help. When it failed to show an improvement, “the experimental area was too small”. I guess the state bought in to that because the next experimental area is state wide. As I’ve screamed from the rooftops, turkeys are going to come back anyway, ON THEIR OWN. Toms neither lay or hatch eggs, nor do they assist in raising poults. No one has proven that even a single willing hen couldn’t find a mate. Turkey doc lacks common sense, yet somehow he leads the way...

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Did any of you send an email? If so, did you get a response?

Yea Whit its buried in the thread, here's the skinny - The State of Georgia paid 23k to THP to "promote out of state hunting" while cutting the Georgia turkey hunting season and bag limits down due to (but not limited to, to be fair) increased "hunting pressure".

Some would say this logic is along the same lines as pulling the military out of Afghanistan before evacuating non-combatants.

All in all most folks (myself included) get it as the state's marketing team was doing what it was tasked to do, market the state's wonderful resources and drive revenue. The logic just looks bad and I hope it gets a reassessment

Whit90

Yea Whit its buried in the thread, here's the skinny - The State of Georgia paid 23k to THP to "promote out of state hunting" while cutting the Georgia turkey hunting season and bag limits down due to (but not limited to, to be fair) increased "hunting pressure".

Some would say this logic is along the same lines as pulling the military out of Afghanistan before evacuating non-combatants.

All in all most folks (myself included) get it as the state's marketing team was doing what it was tasked to do, market the state's wonderful resources and drive revenue. The logic just looks bad and I hope it gets a reassessment

I am aware of the situation. I provided multiple emails for those who choose to voice their concern about the state marketing our wonderful declining resources.

The turkey season and bag limits were cut due to the declining populations, which may somewhat have to do with hunting pressure, but IMO other factors are of greater concern. Same for deer in the Northeast (no does can be taken on the Chattahoochee national forest east of I-75). And that for sure is not because of hunting pressure.

I am curious who, if anyone, sent and email, or if everyone just complained about it on the forum. And if anyone did send an email, I am also curious as to how the recipient replied.

I am aware of the situation. I provided multiple emails for those who choose to voice their concern about the state marketing our wonderful declining resources.

The turkey season and bag limits were cut due to the declining populations, which may somewhat have to do with hunting pressure, but IMO other factors are of greater concern. Same for deer in the Northeast (no does can be taken on the Chattahoochee national forest east of I-75). And that for sure is not because of hunting pressure.

I am curious who, if anyone, sent and email, or if everyone just complained about it on the forum. And if anyone did send an email, I am also curious as to how the recipient replied.

Yep...the responses (screenshots and all provided by the email recipients) are buried in the thread as noted, cowhornedspike and dupree to name two users in particular that come to mind. Has the email contacts for the state and all included as Charlie Killmaster provided them as well. I also cited it wasn't limited to hunting pressure as I too believe there are greater issues at hand.

Timber1

BANNED
I have no idea who these guys are but if they are hunting public land out of state and being successful enough to put out videos more power to them. They are putting in the time it takes to be successful. If it was easy more people would be doing it. Unless they are using contacts and hunting someones elses spots, which I personally would never divulge to hardly anyone, then they are putting in some serious time and effort. I hunt pretty much public land mountains in Ga Tn and Al every year. Spent years and years finding my areas and expanding them and I do pretty good each year. I take people with me every year to decent spots and they hear birds and get to work them. The birds are out there if you want them bad enough. I would never invite someone with a camera to come in to any of the places I hunt, I like my spots too much for that and that's not why I hunt turkeys.
As to what the DNR is doing, typical bureaucracy at work, then again I've never had much respect for them and their ability to manage game.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If this was all private land this wouldn’t be a factor

As to what the DNR is doing, typical bureaucracy at work, then again I've never had much respect for them and their ability to manage game.

Can I get an AMEN!!!

I regularly hunt several states and before all you cry babies chime in keep in mind this is MY OPINION but Georgia is by far the worst from a game management standpoint. From the people who you get on the phone with a question to the conservation officers it really makes me question how OUR money is spent…

I heard that their has been “talk” about THP doing a public land GA Turkey “contest” with Pinhoti this year, supposedly backed by the state with weekly prizes for resident & non residents as a way to “boost”hunter numbers.

Gadget

Can I get an AMEN!!!

I regularly hunt several states and before all you cry babies chime in keep in mind this is MY OPINION but Georgia is by far the worst from a game management standpoint. From the people who you get on the phone with a question to the conservation officers it really makes me question how OUR money is spent…

I heard that their has been “talk” about THP doing a public land GA Turkey “contest” with Pinhoti this year, supposedly backed by the state with weekly prizes for resident & non residents as a way to “boost”hunter numbers.

So expanding their efforts this year...lol

Gadget

I just ran across it.

I'm a little torn. I 100% support hunter recruitment and driving awareness of hunting opportunities. If we don't do a good job of this, hunter recruitment will continue to drop and opportunities will diminish for us and future generations.

BUT... it seems very counter intuitive to pay social media influencers to drive nonresident participation when states across the board are reducing their bag limits and hunting opportunities for residents. The marketing activities don't align with the strategy.

Exactly, they don't align at all. Just read the article how deer population and hunter numbers are down 2/3 in the mountains and the statewide decrease in the turkey population and then they hire out of state influencers to drive more hunters.

Its very obvious that Ga cares more about money then wildlife or quality of hunting; dollar signs is all that really matters.

Gadget

Arizona paid influencers to promote their hunts and now there have been cuts to the OTC mule deer as a direct results.

I used to watch THP and other shows but they are all just pimping out wildlife until it's a depleted resource then they move onto the next thing. Born raised outdoors did the sMe with elk and now it's so popular they went to waterfowl instead.

Hunter recruitment is the dumbest idea ever when you can't find a parking spot on public land.

Yep

Gut_Pile

MY OPINION but Georgia is by far the worst from a game management standpoint.

From my experience, everyone thinks their home state is the worst at managing game. I thought forever GA was horrible. Moved to SC and have to say it is far worse. Have friends in Bama that love to hunt GA and SC that think Bama is the worst in the country. Same with friends in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Overall, I think GA does a pretty good job.