Good time on farm pond yesterday catching bass!

Shadow11

I don't bass fish a whole lot. When I do, it's from the bank. I'm normally trout or catfishing.

Had the privilege to go fish on a private 15 acre pond, up in the foothills of northeast ga yesterday with my dad. He sat in a chair and fished with live worms.
I walked around a bit using plastic worms/lizards/french ticklers, and such.

Dad caught between 20-30 bass. Mostly small. He let a big one break his line. He also caught a few bream.

I caught about 50 small ones, and 3 good ones. The first 2 photos are of the best one that I caught. I didn't bring any scales. Just relaxing, catching fish, and getting sun burned.

Any guesses on the weight of this one?
Screenshot_2021-08-30-18-03-37.png

Screenshot_2021-08-30-16-55-53.png

A decent one and a small one that dad and I doubled up on...
Screenshot_2021-08-30-16-46-41.png

Last edited:

Shadow11

Yeah this one is loaded with bass. That was our 2nd time. The first was back at father's day. Caught more than 70 that day on the opposite side. Probably 80 something yesterday. I believe there has to be some sure enough monsters in it, but with all the small ones, it's hard to tell.

Big7

The Oracle
And... You would be doing the owner a favor by keeping EVERY small one.

I told an owner that for years. He would let you keep Brim. Even the big ones. But no Bass.

Right up until there were none over about 10 inches and skinny.

The area DNR biologist came out, did a cast net survey and it was on then.

Owner said the one's you don't want, toss them in the woods. That went about 2 years. They are big now and he will let you keep all the small one's you want an a few big one's on the honor system.

Anyhow.. Look's like you and Dad had a ball. ?

roachbug

Yeah this one is loaded with bass. That was our 2nd time. The first was back at father's day. Caught more than 70 that day on the opposite side. Probably 80 something yesterday. I believe there has to be some sure enough monsters in it, but with all the small ones, it's hard to tell.
if it's got that many small one's in it you need to take a few home and fry it's got to many small one's in a few year's you well have a lot more big fish do this ever time you go.

Dr. Strangelove

Oh man I haven't done that in years...

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great day ! Bass are hard to judge weight by a picture but I’d guess 8-9 lbs . They must be plenty of baitfish in there , they sure look healthy

BASS1FUN

I say between 51/2-61/2lbs judging the size of its pectoral fin I’ve caught at least 200+ between 5-11 pounds and the ones with the pectoral that looks like yours weighed as I guessed earlier, nice bass I hope to catch some good ones this weekend

Shadow11

Thanks. Yeah my best guess would have been around 7, based on some trout I've caught around that size. Not being a bass guy though, I really wasn't sure.

I see that i didn't hold it right. I should have held it kind of sideways so it's mouth was all the way open, like they do on tv, lol. Mouth was huge. Rookie mistake.

Great pond though. It has some huge carp skimming the top of water. Not one bit of algae or grass growing in it. There's one small section about 40 yards long that has some timber in it, but that's it. Probably the best I've ever been to.

oldfella1962

I don't bass fish a whole lot. When I do, it's from the bank. I'm normally trout or catfishing.

Had the privilege to go fish on a private 15 acre pond, up in the foothills of northeast ga yesterday with my dad. He sat in a chair and fished with live worms.
I walked around a bit using plastic worms/lizards/french ticklers, and such.

Dad caught between 20-30 bass. Mostly small. He let a big one break his line. He also caught a few bream.

I caught about 50 small ones, and 3 good ones. The first 2 photos are of the best one that I caught. I didn't bring any scales. Just relaxing, catching fish, and getting sun burned.

Any guesses on the weight of this one?
View attachment 1101490

View attachment 1101491

A decent one and a small one that dad and I doubled up on...
View attachment 1101492

I'm guessing 3-1/2 maybe 4 pounds on the bass in the first picture.

oldfella1962

Thanks. Yeah my best guess would have been around 7, based on some trout I've caught around that size. Not being a bass guy though, I really wasn't sure.

I see that i didn't hold it right. I should have held it kind of sideways so it's mouth was all the way open, like they do on tv, lol. Mouth was huge. Rookie mistake.

Great pond though. It has some huge carp skimming the top of water. Not one bit of algae or grass growing in it. There's one small section about 40 yards long that has some timber in it, but that's it. Probably the best I've ever been to.

are the huge carp grass carp? They are great at keeping the weeds under control in ponds.