Weapons in Season

jbrentoniv

Hi all,

I'm new to hunting in GA and thought I had this figured out - but I'm confused again.

I thought that with the exception of turkey season you could hunt feral hogs all year long - as long as you use no more weapon than you would use for the animal in season. So for squirrel season you could hunt hog, but cannot use centerfire weapons and no more than No. 2 shot. Is this correct? Is this everywhere or just the WMAs?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hi all,

I'm new to hunting in GA and thought I had this figured out - but I'm confused again.

I thought that with the exception of turkey season you could hunt feral hogs all year long - as long as you use no more weapon than you would use for the animal in season. So for squirrel season you could hunt hog, but cannot use centerfire weapons and no more than No. 2 shot. Is this correct? Is this everywhere or just the WMAs?

On private land there is no closed season, no bag limit, and no weapons restrictions. On WMAs and most other public land hogs are incidental take to whatever season is open and you are restricted to the legal weapons for that season.

Right now during small game dates the most effective legal weapons for hogs on WMAs are muzzleloaders (no caliber restriction), .22 magnum, and archery.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Can get a little confusing.
Ive hunted a few different states.

Best thing is to separate it out.

If your going to hunt only private land. See regs pertaining to that.

WMA,
Check out general regs for WMA. Then check the specific regs for the particular one your going to hunt. Just to make sure theres nothing special for that one.

National forest areas, federal wildlife refuges etc. etc. can all have different rules. Got check them too.