Brunswick Stew! Light Bread or Soda Crackers?

Artfuldodger

Noticed at Holcomb's BBQ in Greensboro and White Plains, they serve their stew(soup) with plain bread. I do know that serving a loaf of bread at BBQ places is common.
Some folks at Holcomb's said to pour the thin stew(soup) over a couple of slices of bread.

Yet for some reason we always found it served with saltines. I think I prefer saltines. When I was growing up we even ate saltines with spaghetti.

I think I was in the Navy before I saw people eating light bread with beef stew or chili. Maybe we were just soda cracker folks.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Noticed at Holcomb's BBQ in Greensboro and White Plains, they serve their stew(soup) with plain bread. I do know that serving a loaf of bread at BBQ places is common.
Some folks at Holcomb's said to pour the thin stew(soup) over a couple of slices of bread.

Yet for some reason we always found it served with saltines. I think I prefer saltines. When I was growing up we even ate saltines with spaghetti.

I think I was in the Navy before I saw people eating light bread with beef stew or chili. Maybe we were just soda cracker folks.
I’ve seen it served and have eaten it both ways

Artfuldodger

Reminds me that Chicken Mull season is approaching. I've never had it but if you like saltines, it's crumbled in a thin milk broth with ground cooked chicken and butter. Served with more saltines, lol.

Big in parts of North Carolina and in the area of Georgia around Macon and Athens. Maybe parts north of there as well. Usually served at fundraisers like the Volunteer Fire Department.

Artfuldodger

I like soda crackers now. When I was young we ate white bread smeared with butta with it.
I do prefer white bread with butter with beef stew now. Oh, and when we had spaghetti growing up we also had slaw. That's a weird combo.

I've seen Southerners eat spaghetti served like a main dish with regular old Southern foods like turnip greens, sweet potatoes, etc. Not eaten like an Italian meal with a salad and garlic bread.

tr21

saltines or oyster crackers in veg. beef soup, chili and Brunswick stew. like specialk i like it thicker more than watery.

pop pop jones

Reminds me that Chicken Mull season is approaching. I've never had it but if you like saltines, it's crumbled in a thin milk broth with ground cooked chicken and butter. Served with more saltines, lol.

Big in parts of North Carolina and in the area of Georgia around Macon and Athens. Maybe parts north of there as well. Usually served at fundraisers like the Volunteer Fire Department.
I boiled a chicken yesterday to have chicken mull. I pull the meat apart and add it and a stick of butter to the broth, heat it up enough to add sweet milk, then simmer untill good and hot. Crackers crumbled in and sweet mixed pickles on the side.

specialk

i had some friends that had a lease in white plains.....u drove thru the old dump of white plains to their lease, use to rabbit there after deer season and always made it a point to eat at holcombs....could go for a bowl of stew and pig sammich right now.....

Big7

The Oracle
I’ve seen it served and have eaten it both ways
Me too.
And if it's made right, it's a main course, not a side.:wink:

I prefer the little oyster crackers if I remember to get them. They stay together a little better.

And... If I do bread, I toast it to about blonde. That's pretty good too.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Me too.
And if it's made right, it's a main course, not a side.:wink:

I prefer the little oyster crackers if I remember to get them. They stay together a little better.

And... If I do bread, I toast it to about blonde. That's pretty good too.
If I had my druthers,it would be cornbread probably

CroMagnum

Hmmmm, I've never heard of that though I'm originally from North Carolina. Sounds tasty though, I'd give it a try.

Latest posts