Brunswick Stew! Light Bread or Soda Crackers?

specialk

Hmmmm, I've never heard of that though I'm originally from North Carolina. Sounds tasty though, I'd give it a try.

i grew up north of raleigh on the state line and never heard of it either growing up until a few years ago....sounds like it would be delicious, almost like chicken and dumplins'......

Artfuldodger

Also in South Carolina around Florence and Myrtle Beach they have Chicken Bog. It's like Chicken & Rice with smoked sausage. As you go down the coast around Charleston it becomes Chicken Perloo. Some recipes south of Georgetown to Walterboro make it tomato based like Jambalaya.

Artfuldodger

I've probably had turtle mull more than chicken mull. Both are good hearty meals
Interesting that I'm hearing y'all have it in West Georgia, I wasn't aware of that.
Never knew they used turtle until I read that link. Other, nearly identical variations of a "mull" can be made using either catfish, oysters or canned salmon, instead of chicken.

When I was growing up my Mom made a version using canned salmon. It was more mushy than soupy. I didn't care for it.
I'd probably like the chicken or even turtle better than salmon.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Well bud I haven't had it over here. I grew up in Putnam Co and spent a lot of time between there and Athens. Definitely seems to be a 441 corridor thing in Ga

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
What relation is there between mull and mulligan stew? If any

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I worked 14 years in Oconee County. The chicken mull is very popular there. Always someone selling mull.

Being a native Alabamian Brunswick and Mull aren't really a thing back home. But I must say Brunswick stew has really grown on me since I immigrated. My local BBQ joint, Southern Pit in Griffin, serves up a fine Brunswick with cracklin bread and I must say that how I like it.

B. White

Being a native Alabamian Brunswick and Mull aren't really a thing back home. But I must say Brunswick stew has really grown on me since I immigrated. My local BBQ joint, Southern Pit in Griffin, serves up a fine Brunswick with cracklin bread and I must say that how I like it.

My wife likes it, so if I pull pork out of the freezer I have her stop on the way home from work and grab some of their stew. I will take saltines with it, if I had to make a choice.

Geffellz18

In Chili, I crush saltines or corn chips in it.
Sometimes even rice just to switch it up. My aunt always served hers with rice.

Otherwise, I eat a soup/stew with saltines on the side, although I’m not a huge soup/stew fan.

Sidebar-Mentioning Chicken mull, would the chicken soup served at The Beacon in Spartanburg, SC be considered mull?
Tried it once and thought it was pretty good. Sort of a cross between Chicken noodle soup and dumplin’s in consistency of the broth, but little to no noodles if I recall correctly!

CroMagnum

i grew up north of raleigh on the state line and never heard of it either growing up until a few years ago....sounds like it would be delicious, almost like chicken and dumplins'......
Yep. I grew up between Greensboro and Durham 30 mins from the Va state line. Now I'll have to get my wife to make chicken and dumplins soon though I normally like to eat them when the weather's a little cooler

Dr. Strangelove

Being from NC, Brunswick stew is not something normally served with BBQ. It's one or the other, but not both at the same time. Kinda like eating a steak with a hamburger as a side. Cornbread for me with Brunswick stew. A high school friend of mine's grandmother made a big 'ol batch of Brunswick stew in an old cast iron wash pot over an open fire every year as soon as the weather turned chilly. Man I'd love to have a couple of bowls of that again. This was in middle GA, around Cochran.

I live in Athens and the one and only time I tried chicken mull it made me and several friends sick. It was from a local fundraiser and was awful. I'd like to try some that was decent sometime.