Hog attractant

longrangedog

A feed store will have ground molasses. Mix that in with your corn. The horse feed referred to is most likely called sweet feed. It's a mixture of grains and a lot of sweetener.

sleepr71

This is gonna sound crazy but Little Debbie's. They love em. But if you have coons, they will snatch it up too. I buy outdated Twinkies, cupcakes, etc....They love it!!

I save this for the hard to catch,Educated hogs? Boiled Peanuts are another go to for the hard to catch ones. I’ll buy a gallon of boiled peanuts & just use a few,scattered around in the trap. That way more than one hog can get the taste & it is like CRACK to a hog that’s never had Peanuts?. When I finally set the trap..I’ll put 1-2 at the entrance…then the rest scattered at the very back of the trap. Best thing I’ve found for educated hogs..other than digging a bait hole & sitting out at night with a thermal equipped rifle?

HogKillaDNR

I had access to some some old bags of Deer/Elf feed so I put that out this afternoon. It has a very strong smell for sure so hopefully they will come inside and investigate.

HogKillaDNR

I'll definitely do that.

Hillbilly stalker

I use ground molasses in my coon feeders…..it turns them into jacked up crack heads. They get addicted to the sweetness. Our local feed store carries it. $10

HogKillaDNR

I'll check with my feed store and see if they have it. I have until the 20th to get these hogs into my trap and sour corn hasn't worked. Root beer float corn didn't work, jello and strawberry soured corn didn't work. I'm running out of ideas. Pears didn't get them in neither.

furtaker

I'll check with my feed store and see if they have it. I have until the 20th to get these hogs into my trap and sour corn hasn't worked. Root beer float corn didn't work, jello and strawberry soured corn didn't work. I'm running out of ideas. Pears didn't get them in neither.
I've never seen a pig that didn't love soured corn. Sounds like they've either left the area or they're scared to enter the trap.

HogKillaDNR

I've never seen a pig that didn't love soured corn. Sounds like they've either left the area or they're scared to enter the trap.

I have him on camera right in front of the trap. They've rooted a line up to the trap where I left bait going into it.

sleepr71

Sounds “Educated” to me. I’ll just add this: some Hogs are just “Paranoid”…especially older Boars & some of the Sows. Digging a “bait hole” with post hole diggers outside the trap & patterning them coming to it may be a better solution. Set up downwind & shoot the “difficult” ones…?

HogKillaDNR

If you're in south GA where they are easily available raw fresh peanuts are one of the best baits around.

How much can you get those for?

HogKillaDNR

I'm not in South GA so I don't know. Got a few friends that do though and they're the one's I go to for hog advice and they swear by peanuts.
I'm going to have to try out some peanuts after Deer season goes out, in February. I might pour some molasses over them and see what happens.

frankwright

It depends how many hogs you have and where the bait is.
I dug a hole and used the corn,yeast,sugar,koolade and water deal. MY ATV was parked beside the hole the whole time.
I went back to camp, cooled off and rinsed off. Drank some water and then walked back to the hole to sit in a hang on stand above it. I didn't really expect to see any pigs but this was a new area and I wanted to0 get a feel for it.
Walking to the stand I heard pigs and there were about six gobbling from my freshly made bait.
I had a bolt action .22 mag and was able to kill one right there and the others took off.

You just never know. My spot was by a creek, in a bottom with lots of sign!