Braves 2021 Season Thread

Coenen

Not sure I can watch too much of this team, they're maybe a little too exciting. If you like big home runs though, this was the series. Some absolute moonshots by both teams.

It seems Joc Peterson is making it a habit of bailing Smith out...
Joc was on the hook as much as anyone! He misplayed the ball that put the eventual tying run on 3rd! Smith did his job last night, the defense was not great when it was needed most. Joc goofed on the ball that started the fire, and then Ozzie biffed what would've been a game-winning double play. Not the same as my boy Puke giving up that monster dinger.

The commentary team bragged on the infield defense the other day, and jinxed 'em! The last couple of nights have been rough.

From some of what I gathered on social media the other day, Ozuna ended up getting about the sort of "punishment" first-time offenders get for what happened. Who knows what the Braves will do with it all. I'm sure both sides have their lawyers working overtime, Ozuna's people to keep the money, and Atlanta's to keep from paying.

BornToHuntAndFish

Glad the Braves hung in there after all those lead changes for the extra innings win.

E-5Oc_AXMAAeiY8

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401229159

Box Score

S. Vogt ATL - C
2-2, 2 HR, 2 RBI

F. Freeman ATL - 1B
2-5, HR, 2B

1st - Bell doubled to deep left center, Thomas scored, Soto to third.

1st - Hernández grounded out to first, Soto scored, Bell to third.

3rd - Vogt homered to right (395 feet).

4th - Riley doubled to left, Freeman scored.

5th - Vogt homered to right center (405 feet).

6th - Kieboom singled to right, Soto scored.

6th - Soler homered to center (439 feet).

7th - Thomas singled to shallow left, García scored.

8th - García homered to center (448 feet).

8th - Freeman homered to right (429 feet).

8th - Duvall homered to left (376 feet).

9th - Bell grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, Thomas scored on error, Bell safe at second on throwing error by second baseman Albies, Soto out at second.

10th - Pederson singled to left center, Albies scored, Riley to second, Soler to third.

E-5ZzthWQAEtICh

Before game below . . .
E-28A04XIAQxL83

Coenen

Good, solid win last night. Took advantage of their chances and closed it out with authority. Beat the guys you're supposed to beat, right?

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice win with the help of the Braves 5-run 5th-inning along with Marlins 2-errors assisting.

E--TGRwWUAAfI7U

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401229166

Box Score

WIN
I. Anderson(7-5)
5.0 IP, 2 ER, 9 K, 2 BB

1st - Sánchez homered to right (429 feet), De La Cruz scored.

5th - Adrianza singled to shallow left, d'Arnaud scored, Heredia to second, Arcia to third.

5th - Soler singled to center, Arcia scored, Heredia scored and Adrianza scored on fielding error by center fielder De La Cruz, Soler to second.

5th - Freeman reached on infield single to pitcher, Soler scored on throwing error by third baseman I. Díaz, Freeman to second.

8th - Arcia singled to center, Riley scored, Arcia to second, d'Arnaud to third.

BornToHuntAndFish

Good to win a close one today as Phillies lose another.

E_HPFM7WUAM-ki5

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401229196

Box Score

O. Albies ATL - 2B
2-4, HR, RBI

WIN
J. Webb(4-2)
1.0 IP, 0 ER, 1 K, 0 BB

SAVE
W. Smith(32)
1.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 K, 1 BB

2nd - Sánchez homered to center (460 feet).

4th - Rosario homered to center (417 feet), Swanson scored.

5th - d'Arnaud singled to left, Soler scored.

6th - Rojas singled to left, L. Díaz scored.

6th - Sánchez singled to center, Rojas scored, De La Cruz to second.

7th - Albies homered to right (395 feet).

7th - Freeman homered to left (387 feet).

E_HMhUkWYAMWbtA

E_HWwlGXoAEP2fM

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Remember when Acuña went down and the whole season was lost?.?.?..

Braves lookin purdy good. Just make the tournament. After that, anything can happen..

biggdogg

We shall see. He's giving off the no team discount vibe

His agent is looking to better the deal Goldschmidt signed with St. Louis. I don't see any reason he won't get signed. The Braves current payroll is $145 mil, only $86 mil of which is committed to the 2022 roster. I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 years $180-200 mil.

treemanjohn

Banned
His agent is looking to better the deal Goldschmidt signed with St. Louis. I don't see any reason he won't get signed. The Braves current payroll is $145 mil, only $86 mil of which is committed to the 2022 roster. I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 years $180-200 mil.
Clubs are getting scared of those deals. Someone will pay that. We will have to see. It might be a deal like Justin Turner. Hit free agency and come back

Braves can't play games with the Rockies

DannyW

Smyly and Martin hitting the curb frees up almost $20 mil. Freeman ain't going anywhere.

As much as I like Freddie, I don't see him as a $30 million/yr guy. Plus, as TMJ stated, clubs are backing off those long expensive contracts. I think there are only 4-5 position players at $30 million/yr, and two of them are finishing up old really terrible contracts (Pujols and Cabrera). Trout is a different story.

There may be teams that would offer Freddie $30 million, but at this point of his career I would think he has a very short list of teams that he would sign with. He wouldn't be comfortable playing in the media circus of the Yankees, nor would he want to join the soap opera known as the Mets either. Baltimore, Texas, Pittsburgh and all the other mediorce teams are out for obvious reasons. Tampa Bay is a good organization but they don't offer anyone more than $12-15 million/yr.

St Louis? Maybe.

I think he would seriously consider going home to play with the Padres. Or the LAD if they can find enough payroll space. And the Halos would be an interesting landing spot with Trout, Otani, Rendon and company. And of course...the Braves.

So IMO there are only 3-4 other teams besides the Braves that he would sign with. I think in the end he will be like Chipper, a career Brave.

treemanjohn

Banned
I don't see a 200M deal for Fredrick. Maybe an American League team would offer 5 or 6 years thinking ahead to the DH possibilities.

I'm thinking the Braves will offer 35 x 3 or 4 years.

BornToHuntAndFish

It helps to win games when the Braves can score runs when they get hits. Atlanta was out scored again even though they delivered twice as many hits as their opponents.::ke:

E_XtiriXMAE9jaf

E_Sz-knWUAMs4pg

biggdogg

I don't see a 200M deal for Fredrick. Maybe an American League team would offer 5 or 6 years thinking ahead to the DH possibilities.

I'm thinking the Braves will offer 35 x 3 or 4 years.

DH will most likely be in the NL next season. That was one of the deciding factors in bringing Ozuna back. He would only be in the field for one season.

treemanjohn

Banned
DH will most likely be in the NL next season. That was one of the deciding factors in bringing Ozuna back. He would only be in the field for one season.
I can't see Ozuna coming back. He's a cancer at this point. Hopefully they can shake his contract.

DannyW

4 and 4 on this homestand against 3 of the worst teams in the league...not good. If Philly catches the Braves, this homestand will be why.