Watusi euro mount before and after pics. Braggin on my wife. September Update

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I grew up with Angus and limousin cattle and never messed with anything with horns so purely curious, how heavy was that head, and/or how heavy will the mount be?
Don't know the weight of head before we fleshed it out but I can weigh it when is done and I'll post it.

sea trout

Nice.

I like it so far.

I'd hate to chase my pit bull with that in his mouth running that around the yard.

He was convinced this pig head was his till I reclaimed it.

I remember seeing your hog skull in another thread last year or so. I love that! I got a big boar at the end of deer season and kept his head, I may end up kinda tryin to copy your camo job on yours. That looks so cool!
Yeah our little area we use was our garden that we fenced off cause rabbits would eat all the vegetables at night. So far it's worked for skulls keeping our dogs out, coyotes out, and the neighbors dogs out. I hope it keeps working.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I remember seeing your hog skull in another thread last year or so. I love that! I got a big boar at the end of deer season and kept his head, I may end up kinda tryin to copy your camo job on yours. That looks so cool!
Yeah our little area we use was our garden that we fenced off cause rabbits would eat all the vegetables at night. So far it's worked for skulls keeping our dogs out, coyotes out, and the neighbors dogs out. I hope it keeps working.
That was my concern for you. I'd hate to see something chew up that beautiful cattle skull.

Had some squirrels (or maybe a rat) chew up a buck's antlers that i had stewing in the dirt. It sent me on a killing spree.

Tell your wife to keep up the good work.

sea trout

So wanted to update on this, What has happened is this watusi has been macerating in john boat all summer and the horns just wont fully release. So really nuthing has happened with it. It's unlike the cattle, even the Texas long horns, even some long horn/ watusi crosses, that she's done in the past. Those cattle all had the horn sluff off the bone after maceration.
This full blooded watusi would not release it's horns so she kept it in there until they would sluff off.
However last week we worked together on it and discovered the horns were released from the bone, they just wont come off because the diameter of the horn doesn't change from the lower half through the curve but the symmetry does change. Therefore we don't know HOW to get them off to dry and cure the bone inside.
So now my wife is contemplating what to do.
This pic shows where she decided to stand it up end to end and pour bleach water in and flood the horn. She thinks maybe they'll swell some and we can pull them off? Or the bleach can kill any remaining old blood stench and maybe they'll dry out later and won't stink?
We haven't asked our neighbor yet if this watusi euro mount is to go in his house or in his barn or in his shop. If it goes in his house it's gonna have to not stink.

I'll update as things unfold. If anyone has had a similar experience and figured it out and want to share please feel free to share!!
I even suggested cutting a slit down the back of the horn, (the outta sight portion), to get them off and then fix it with glue or staples or stitch when slide em back on.... but I got a pretty rough look from the wife when I mentioned that so I just left it alone.

20210920_131729_resized.jpg

tucker80

Is she concerned about the bleach making it brittle? I dont know anything about the process, just curious how bleach reacts.
It's going to be an awesome piece I'm sure!

ngamtns

Have you researched letting the horns dry out and see if they would sloth off then. I use to pick up cow horns from dehorning at a cattle traders barn and make a few powder horns. Nature (flies and drying)would usually take care of the process. I have a big set on a skull that came from Texas. They actually cut the bone at the base of the horn. Pulled the inside bone out. Then screwed back to the skull covering with some rope. I can try and get a picture if it will help.

Last edited:

bany

First time seeing this. Pretty cool! My first thought was setting it on a fire ant mound.
Thats been the best for a good end result for my heads. Sorry I’m late.

catchdogs

So wanted to update on this, What has happened is this watusi has been macerating in john boat all summer and the horns just wont fully release. So really nuthing has happened with it. It's unlike the cattle, even the Texas long horns, even some long horn/ watusi crosses, that she's done in the past. Those cattle all had the horn sluff off the bone after maceration.
This full blooded watusi would not release it's horns so she kept it in there until they would sluff off.
However last week we worked together on it and discovered the horns were released from the bone, they just wont come off because the diameter of the horn doesn't change from the lower half through the curve but the symmetry does change. Therefore we don't know HOW to get them off to dry and cure the bone inside.
So now my wife is contemplating what to do.
This pic shows where she decided to stand it up end to end and pour bleach water in and flood the horn. She thinks maybe they'll swell some and we can pull them off? Or the bleach can kill any remaining old blood stench and maybe they'll dry out later and won't stink?
We haven't asked our neighbor yet if this watusi euro mount is to go in his house or in his barn or in his shop. If it goes in his house it's gonna have to not stink.

I'll update as things unfold. If anyone has had a similar experience and figured it out and want to share please feel free to share!!
I even suggested cutting a slit down the back of the horn, (the outta sight portion), to get them off and then fix it with glue or staples or stitch when slide em back on.... but I got a pretty rough look from the wife when I mentioned that so I just left it alone.

View attachment 1105855
Boil the horns and hit them with a rubber hammer they will pop off easy

sea trout

havn't weighed them yet